Standalone Mod IV simulator program

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Standalone Mod IV simulator program

Post by yayajohn »

a little far fetched perhaps but sure would be cool to build modular patches when away from your rig, save them to a flash drive and load onto your rig when you get home from work. Although i'm sure your boss would be rather unhappy with your distraction :wink:
wouterz

Re: Standalone Mod IV simulator program

Post by wouterz »

You can use these to try out some ideas on the road and build them in Scope Modular at home :)

http://petervandernoord.nl/patchwork/

http://www.g200kg.com/en/docs/webmodular/
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

:D I will play with those in the meantime. Thank you!
dante

Post by dante »

yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

cool. Thanks for the link. I may demo it but probably won't buy it.

I suppose for design planning I could just use a pen and paper :D
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

I have asked Holger a few times for this.
This was the main reason I left the Scope platform.
I travel a lot and I need that time to work too.
The modulars mentioned above can't compete with the Modular IV.
No way. Period.
Travelling with a laptop open up possibilities.
The only programs that can compete with the Modular IV are:
Reaktor and Clavia NMG2(Demo).
The last ones download links:
For Mac:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/defa ... 0setup.zip
Installing instructions here:
http://rolandkuit.com/e-Books.html and scroll down.

For PC:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/defa ... 0setup.zip

Regarding Kyma, I learned my laptop to work with it without the Pacarana attached.
I can create patches without hearing them but these patches will work when the Pacarana is attached.
After setting the compatibility back to Windows 7

I just start the program in Windows 98/Windows ME and tell it to go on without the not found hardware.
It works for me.
Give it a try.
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
David

Post by David »

Thats a great tip for the pacarana work around, thanks Roland
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Thank you Roland. I will investigate those links. I hate being away from my rig at home, my time is so limited yet I sometimes spend whole days just sitting in a hotel room while at work. I've thought about taking my Xite around with me and it could work but the problem is there is no way to 100% protect it from getting bashed. Yes the armor plated case options would protect it fine but on the airlines, if you can't fit it under the seat in front of you then you risk having to send it to checked baggage and that would be the death of it for sure. (btw Roland I saw the pics of your mobile rig when you posted them and it really made me think it through but, alas...)

I was thinking, even a program with nothing but the graphical representation of the modules would be a help. You could create a snapshot of a patch and pull it up next to your empty modular shell to manually build?
Maybe I should start learning to be a programmer then I can build the program myself. Shouldn't take more than a 100yrs to get caught up. :lol:

Anyway, there are loads of other productive things to do with my idle time like study electronic music or practice my EWI.
sharc

Post by sharc »

I've been giving this some thought and I can't see any way that an actual Scope modular patch could be built on a non-Scope powered system ...At least not by an SDK developer.

I can think of a potential solution, but AFAIK it could only be implemented by S|C in a platform update. If you've ever run Scope as sync slave without a sync source you'll have noticed you can add modules and devices till the cows come home without using any DSP. Of course you don't get any audio or MIDI either, but if I'm reading correctly that's what is being requested here.

What would be required is a similar mode for Scope to enter when no DSP card or XITE is detected. As well as allowing you to sketch out and save Modular patches away from home other Scope device settings and project routings could also be made.
hubird

Post by hubird »

yet dsp load calculation should be still necessory, and I don't know if that'd be possible.
you want the setups get loaded when at the cards.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

I believe the experience when working with modular is the sound... I don't understand what a modular without sound can offer.
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

@ hubird,
It works for me and Kyma, I stated.
DSP counts is on the Pacarana too, so I thought mentioning my trick here.

@ fra77x

Yes, I totally agree with you, sound experience!

But having a modular mind, I had great benefits when studying Sonology in Utrecht and creating signal flows when sitting in the train. With pen and paper. Later with the Clavia NMG1(!) I could use the editor patching up stuff and listen this when I was at my hardware.
NMG2Demo makes even sound!
Next month I will be working with the Buchla 200 at EMS Stockholm.
So I am reading in and creating pen-paper flowcharts already :)
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
dante

Post by dante »

fra77x wrote:I believe the experience when working with modular is the sound... I don't understand what a modular without sound can offer.
The same as an orchestra you can't hear...circa Beethovens 9th Symphony : "The whole audience acclaimed him through standing ovations five times; there were handkerchiefs in the air, hats, raised hands, so that Beethoven, who could not hear the applause, could at least see the ovation gestures."
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

If you have enough experience with anything you can do the work on your mind. Because you have the mental image of it. You can't gather experience of something without working with the actual stuff, the mind can't replicate the nature. It's a memory function. Beethoven lost his hearing late on his career and every composer have spend a huge amount of time on the keyboard before being able to compose on the score.

I suggest pen and paper sketches as Roland says or some native modular. I remember every time i went to some vacation years ago on a island, i came back with a package of sound design notes. And a lot of ideas appear when the mind is free of the clutter. But truly only few of those i have put them on real circuits and nothing can replace the actual experience with the sound. My procedure now so to "get better" is with programming. I design my own daw (native) in c++ which also includes a modular synthesizer. It's fascinating! Of course for scope users i strongly suggest the sdk. By using the sdk i gathered all the knowledge that i now use for audio engineering.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

put the xite in a server at home;
xite works great in a sun fire;
so you have full access via remote;
you can even record and stream back the audiooutput;
or use hw connected to xite;
good vibes
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

:o Wow that is a great idea. hmm i wonder if a VNC like this would work -https://www.realvnc.com/ but it says no audio.

You are referring to an actual server computer by Sun Microsystems? In that case you would probably want to host a web address to stream the audio?

I'm going to have a closer look at all of this.

Thanks

btw what is "hw connected to xite"?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

ideally, I'd like a usb SCOPE device with 1 or 2 DSPs on it, and simple audio I/O. I know it's difficult to get USB to master the host and access memory to cover all modules like samplers and wave players, etc, but a decent driver could handle that. Not as low latency as PCIe, but you get your sound, portable...anywhere...great for SDK too :)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Yayajohn...don't look into VNC, look into RDP Remote (the windows equivalent). That allows for audio (WDM). So you'd have to route audio out of SCOPE into windows not via ASIO but from a Wave Audio device, and then let RDP handle it from there.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

ok great thanks I will check that out. I'm wondering would it matter if my desktop is on Windows XP and my Laptop is on Windows 7 64bit?
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Teamviewer transmits also audio via internet: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
And it's free.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.