Can we have a recreation of this in M4 ?

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Can we have a recreation of this in M4 ?

Post by dante »

The Emerson Moog Modular (released at MoogFest earlier this year) :
MoogFest Modular
MoogFest Modular
Moog-New-Emerson-Modular-System.jpg (106.93 KiB) Viewed 10547 times
Would this be possible (even if too hard) to do in M4? Development of the custom handcrafted unit took three years with designers using the original documentation as well as circuit board and art files for nearly every original Moog module.

I dont think anyone will do it, Im just interested on opinions on whether M4 would have all the required circuits and enough power on a single XITE-1.
dante

Re: Can we have a recreation of this in M4 ?

Post by dante »

Failing that, how about a new classic synth emulation for Scope 6 ?
junow8
junow8
junow8.jpg (126.83 KiB) Viewed 10526 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:The Emerson Moog Modular (released at MoogFest earlier this year) :
Moog-New-Emerson-Modular-System.jpg
Would this be possible (even if too hard) to do in M4? Development of the custom handcrafted unit took three years with designers using the original documentation as well as circuit board and art files for nearly every original Moog module.

I dont think anyone will do it, Im just interested on opinions on whether M4 would have all the required circuits and enough power on a single XITE-1.
Hard to tell from that pic.
Did you investigate into all the modules used in Emerson´s modular synth ?
We´d need a list, than compare what´s available in Modular I / II / III / IV / CWM and BCM up to now.
I expect possibilities in SCOPE are far superior meanwhile and compared to the hardware MOOG modular synth.
The sound of MOOG is all about the ladder filter and envelope generator speed.
IIRC, someone (fra77x or Sharc ?) offered "vintage ADSR" for SCOPE modular some time ago.

Array of Stepsequencers won´t work in 64Bit SCOPE for the time being I fear.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:Failing that, how about a new classic synth emulation for Scope 6 ?
junow8.jpg
That´s not a JUNOW 8 ...

It´s a YOU PEE (EIGHT) ...

:D

Bud
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

I'd take the JP8 any day. With the Emerson we sometimes found it hard to get the same sound twice for the same patch.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

most of the scope modular series of modules are compatible there is a ladder filter

missing from scope but i have made it is the fixed filter bank

and most things can be made with bcmodular and the circuit module shells

in fact most modular modules from all designers have extra level circuit modules

they use summers which take several inputs and summ then to one level

then there are attenuators to change the level going into the module

then there are output modules with attenuators for output levels

some have inbuilt lfo and also cv mixers

we have all these circuit level modules and can create similar modules in the clm shells

thats how i did the polymoog resonator and the sem filter and the fixed filter bank and the 4/8 equinox phaser

and how i have just created the yamaha gx-1 tone board voice
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

this is a serge filter module mclass panel

you can do this easily in the clm shells

same for this panel

dante

Post by dante »

Good stuff, so M4 can cover most or all of the ground covered by the $90,000 Moog Modular.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

...and then some.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:Good stuff, so M4 can cover most or all of the ground covered by the $90,000 Moog Modular.
Hans Zimmer has a wall of Moog Modular in his studio and he said once,- SCOPE Modular beats all exisiting hardware modular synths out there.
That might be somewhat overrated because real analogue always sounds different compared to emulations and it´s a matter of taste too, but functionality wise, a great sounding total recall modular synth where you can easy swap modules, is a big advantage over the old patchchord beast w/ their fixed set of hardware modules,- and don´t forget how bulky they were.

Bud
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

it can do stuff the moog modular can only dream of

multisample osc

digital osc wavetable osc

waldorf wavetable scanning

moog only had 2 filters hipass ladder and lowpass ladder

then it had resonators

you have multi filters and can create any type filter you want by combining fllters

i have just made a extended version of the serge resonant eq

which has 10 fixed bands of bandpass filters that are 7th of octave frequency settings rather than the 3rd octave setting which give it notches

in places that normal eq dont have that are musical

it has 3 out puts 2 combs and all bands the resonant feature is also very interesting as its not done the same as usual as a negitive feedback added to the incoming signal

but each band has a pot and the wiper goes to the filter input and each end of the pot one goes to the input and the other goes side is from the summer before the final vca

so it mixes the input and out put and when you have it fully on resonant it does not self oscillate but has a nice resonant quality as its just the feed back input and not both the input and output

on my version though i have it with lowpass/bandpass/hipass/variable notch so my version has 12 audio outputs

you also have fm osc and additive osc

and drum osc

and by using several modules you can create quadrature osc these are great for phasers in a dual stereo as you can have several banks of series allpass filters

and for the right side you can use the 180 degrees phase while the 0 degree phase on the left channel

and by have a quadrature osc you get 8 lfo outputs at different phases and there 180 degree opposite phase outputs

this creates a lot of notch bands by having 4 sets of allpass 4 stage phasers and each has its own lfo modulator and there outputs are summed

and the opposite channel has the same but uses the 180 degree phases opposite lfo outputs you can get some great phaser effects

the same thing can also be created for pitch and frequency shifters

any modular module you can think of in hardware can be visualized with bc modular and clm modules

as all the building blocks are there that are available for hardware

and for visual if you want it to look the same the new scopesync and its xml gui implementation you can create the modules in the modular then skin a gui so it looks how you want it to look and control the modular modules
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

and if you look at that moog modular it has multiples of the same modules so it has banks of oscillators

banks of filters banks of lfo banks of envelope generators banks of cv mod circuits it has 2 fixed filter banks and 2 sequencer modules banks of vca and a couple of mixer modules with panning circuits

there are not that many single modules there at all

with scope 2/3/4 modular there are 300+ modules

then theirs the flexor 1/2/3 which has lots of modules

then theirs the spacef modular modules

the john bowen rd modules

bc modular modules 300+

then there are the sal modules

and roy thinnes modules

we have a massive amount of modules to choose from which would cost £1000000 if we brought the hardware equivelents

and by using the clm shell and combining modules to create complex modules you have even more scope for new modules
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

as for classic synth modules

im working on a few

the yamaha gx-1 which the cs80 was designed from

the sk20d which yayajohn is sampling for me from his synth that i repaired

korg 770

and the maxikorg 800 which is a dual 770 in an upper and lower keyboard so keyboard splits can be created

the korg delta which i have reworked as a paraphonic synth

vp330 which i have been working on the top octave divide down osc and i have recreated the choir resonator and the string resonator

this is a special synth in that the choir has an upper and lower setting so you can have splits but the string is for the whole keyboard and the vocoder section is nice also as you can set which synth part is going to be the carrier and on what section upper or lower

i have recreated the resonators for the korg lamda and it uses the same divide down osc

im just waiting for the xml to be finished so i can sstart doing the gui for them
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

this is a gx-1 voice with out the pitch settings and fine tune and pitchbend and lfo which are on the main pannel

these modules are what is used to program the plug in cartridge modules there are 10 for each tone section and have a switch to bring them in so thats 20 different tones this was before cpu and patch memories these were special carts that had pots as screwdriver adjustable and they were set to what a real pot would be set to

there are 70 preset tone carts in the gx-1

as a polyvoice is made up of 2 tone boards by having 2 tones mixed very interesting sounds could be done this was not seen in a digital synth until the korg dss1 and then the m1 series used the same technique in fact all of korgs synths even the kronos uses the 2 tones mixed technique for its sound creation

this picture shows what a poly voice would be

the gx-1 is special as each tone voice has different intervals of pitches and have 6 buttons to choose them

the pitches are arranged in organ footage intervals which makes it very interesting as there are footage intervals that are not on any type of other synth

there is also a pull out section that allows you to program fine pitch for each

the gx-1 is special in that the cs80 is only one section of the synth the gx-1 has 2 poly 8 voice sections which have dual tone boards

it has a mono section which has 1 tone board

and a foot pedals section which also has 2 tone boards and has sub harmonic pitch intervals and it is mono

the upper and lower manual can have them linked for 4 tones at 8 notes poly so massive sounds can be created

and its all done with osc no samples are used in my creation of it

im doing the gui like the picture of the real thing with the added pitch buttons and fine tune and the bender and lfo
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jhulk wrote:as for classic synth modules

im working on a few

the yamaha gx-1 which the cs80 was designed from

the sk20d which yayajohn is sampling for me from his synth that i repaired

korg 770

and the maxikorg 800 which is a dual 770 in an upper and lower keyboard so keyboard splits can be created

the korg delta which i have reworked as a paraphonic synth

vp330 which i have been working on the top octave divide down osc and i have recreated the choir resonator and the string resonator

this is a special synth in that the choir has an upper and lower setting so you can have splits but the string is for the whole keyboard and the vocoder section is nice also as you can set which synth part is going to be the carrier and on what section upper or lower

i have recreated the resonators for the korg lamda and it uses the same divide down osc

im just waiting for the xml to be finished so i can sstart doing the gui for them
Wow, man, you must be extremely busy !
I´ve read all your posts in this thread.
It all sounds very promising and I wish you the best for your creations.
Can´t wait to see ´em in action.

good luck

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wow, man, you must be extremely busy !
I´ve read all your posts in this thread.
It all sounds very promising and I wish you the best for your creations.
Can´t wait to see ´em in action.

good luck

Bud

+1

Sounds like 2015 will be a great year for new Scope synths.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

there all im modular form at the moment

im waiting for wills and sharcs xml gui so that i can create the visual panels with 32bit control
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Hello all
Sorry but what is Junow? Is existing? a new plug?
Thanks
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

no its just a picture that dante did for a wish list

a jx8p voice would be easier than the jupiter 8

as the juno osc is available and you just use 2 the jx8p also has an extra envelope than the jx3p but looses the sequencer of the jx3p

i have a modular module of the dual chorus as used in the juno
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Ok man
Thanks