A communication error with Pulsar2 (brd 0) has occured.

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: A communication error with Pulsar2 (brd 0) has occured.

Post by garyb »

yes, in the device manager under usb. highlight and choose from the menu at the top, or right click and choose "disable". you can reenable in the same way.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Better late than never!! :lol:
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

I have the same problem here. I did a recap, but it didn't help. I tried on 3 different computers and it always gives the same error.
The installation of the software and the driver pass normal, Device Managger shows Pulsar, but instead of Scope it always shows this dialog with the same error.
In the meantime I bought RME 9652 and it works fine, but I'm very unhappy because I don't have the capabilities I have with Pulsar.

What can I do?
Will baking help?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

sandrob wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:55 am
What can I do?
Will baking help?
When the card is broken, try to repair, buy more used cards or buy XITE-1(D) ...

:)

Bud
astroman

Post by astroman »

I'd rather suspect the S/TDM connection
iirc you live on the coast of Croatia, salty air is nice to breathe, but quite aggressive to metal components ;)
did you check the offending Pulsar 2 as the only card ?
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

I've tried it in 3 computers and Pulsar is the only card. :/
dynamixii

Post by dynamixii »

sandrob wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:55 am I have the same problem here. I did a recap, but it didn't help. I tried on 3 different computers and it always gives the same error.
The installation of the software and the driver pass normal, Device Managger shows Pulsar, but instead of Scope it always shows this dialog with the same error.
In the meantime I bought RME 9652 and it works fine, but I'm very unhappy because I don't have the capabilities I have with Pulsar.

What can I do?
Will baking help?

Don't ever bake anything but cookies & cakes!

Have you tried to replace the power mosfet transistor ?
I can give that a try for you.. If it works I'll charge $125.00 + Shipping.
If not, I will put your old one back on and send it back to you, all you pay is shipping.
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

dynamixii wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:16 pm Don't ever bake anything but cookies & cakes!

Have you tried to replace the power mosfet transistor ?
I can give that a try for you.. If it works I'll charge $125.00 + Shipping.
If not, I will put your old one back on and send it back to you, all you pay is shipping.
Thank you for your response and offer. I meanwhile bought a new RME card. I practically wrote off Pulsar. It is not worth sending it by mail and paying for repairs. Only if you can tell me (send a picture) where exactly that transistor is to tell my friend to change it. If it works I might be able to install it on my backup computer.
valis

Post by valis »

That's half his fee, it's a very fair offer, and keeps your keys and other investments intact. Worth considering.
dynamixii

Post by dynamixii »

valis wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:45 pm That's half his fee, it's a very fair offer, and keeps your keys and other investments intact. Worth considering.

Ha, sorry I must have written that while i was at my parents visiting so I wasn’t thinking The price is 225 + shipping if i get it to work and if i can’t resurrect it i’ll only charge $25 to cover the parts + shipping to send it back. I’ll change the caps and the power mosfet as well. The caps are very small and the work needs to be done under a scope, the power mosfet has to be done at a high temp to heat the metal plane that it is attatched to. Personally, I think it’s a fair price considering the experience and time it takes to do the work. Have to heat the old caps up w/ a hot air station to remove them, and then after that I have to clean all the pads w solder wick, then re-tin the pads on both sides of each capacitor and then solder the new ones on. Then I have to clean, dry and test the board. There are 15 capacitors all smd size which look like the size of a small swiss miss marshmallow. Two caps are a slight size larger and then there is the power mosfet. The parts cost + the time is def a fair deal to potentially resurrect the Sonic Core card.
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

dynamixii wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:25 pm
valis wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:45 pm That's half his fee, it's a very fair offer, and keeps your keys and other investments intact. Worth considering.

Ha, sorry I must have written that while i was at my parents visiting so I wasn’t thinking The price is 225 + shipping if i get it to work and if i can’t resurrect it i’ll only charge $25 to cover the parts + shipping to send it back. I’ll change the caps and the power mosfet as well. The caps are very small and the work needs to be done under a scope, the power mosfet has to be done at a high temp to heat the metal plane that it is attatched to. Personally, I think it’s a fair price considering the experience and time it takes to do the work. Have to heat the old caps up w/ a hot air station to remove them, and then after that I have to clean all the pads w solder wick, then re-tin the pads on both sides of each capacitor and then solder the new ones on. Then I have to clean, dry and test the board. There are 15 capacitors all smd size which look like the size of a small swiss miss marshmallow. Two caps are a slight size larger and then there is the power mosfet. The parts cost + the time is def a fair deal to potentially resurrect the Sonic Core card.
I’m not saying the price isn’t fair. I say it doesn't pay off for me because I won't use Pulsar anymore.
I did a recap and it didn’t help. Then I bought an RME card which I am happy with. I also have an 8 channel Focusrite Saffire on my backup computer. Even if I fix the Pulsar I don’t know what to do with it. I can only sell it. If you are interested I will give you a fair price even though I see that you don't really want to help me, you want to earn something. If you wanted to help me, you would take a picture of the part I need to change.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

The part of the voltage regulator is the black quare part with I*R 3103S labeled on it.. on my scope card, so I suppose pulser2 is the same.
You can buy them from aliexpress and you need some soldering skills to remove it.
For a pulsar2 the price in germany is in the order of 200 Euros, so there is a natural limit for repairs.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

nebelfuerst wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:59 am The part of the voltage regulator is the black quare part with I*R 3103S labeled on it.. on my scope card, so I suppose pulser2 is the same.
You can buy them from aliexpress and you need some soldering skills to remove it.
For a pulsar2 the price in germany is in the order of 200 Euros, so there is a natural limit for repairs.
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

nebelfuerst wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:59 am The part of the voltage regulator is the black quare part with I*R 3103S labeled on it.. on my scope card, so I suppose pulser2 is the same.
The only thing that looks like a transistor to me is this. The specifications say that it is a "voltage regulator".
Attachments
c.PNG
c.PNG (968.59 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Yes. You're right, this is the one for a P2.
I had a look at my cards, so here are the mosfet for P2, Luna and scope.

For P2, the datasheet can be found here.
https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/part ... AU-pdf.php

Looks like they used different schematics for voltage regulation.
The easiest way is to buy exactly the same part. otherwise you'd have to do some datasheet research..
Attachments
scope.jpg
scope.jpg (20.07 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
P2.jpg
P2.jpg (25.27 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
luna.jpg
luna.jpg (20.54 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

nebelfuerst wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:24 am Yes. You're right, this is the one for a P2.
I had a look at my cards, so here are the mosfet for P2, Luna and scope.

For P2, the datasheet can be found here.
https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/part ... AU-pdf.php

Looks like they used different schematics for voltage regulation.
The easiest way is to buy exactly the same part. otherwise you'd have to do some datasheet research..
dynamixii

Post by dynamixii »

I’m not saying the price isn’t fair. I say it doesn't pay off for me because I won't use Pulsar anymore.
I did a recap and it didn’t help. Then I bought an RME card which I am happy with. I also have an 8 channel Focusrite Saffire on my backup computer. Even if I fix the Pulsar I don’t know what to do with it. I can only sell it. If you are interested I will give you a fair price even though I see that you don't really want to help me, you want to earn something. If you wanted to help me, you would take a picture of the part I need to change.

It's not that I don't want to help you, It's that I question your ability to do the repair if you don't even know how to identify a transistor. It's really easy to do damage to the card & you may do more damage than good. All the parts are labeled clearly on top of each component, the power mosfet that I mentioned above is the one that is soldered directly to the large metal plane which will take a lot of heat & flux to remove. The others have posted the pic of it above. Also, the boards need to be cleaned afterwards, preferably in an ultrasonic, so if you leave all that flux behind, can do more damage than good. You may be better off selling it for parts as is on ebay because if you damage the card it will be worth a whopping zero.
valis

Post by valis »

🎯