Uhe diva

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

the19thbear

Uhe diva

Post by the19thbear »

Ok.... The minimax just got competition. Actually the minimax just got blown away! I have not heard any vst synths that could compare to the scope ones... Until now. All I can say is wow - finally a synth with massive lows and piercing highs, and almost all the grit of analog.. My scope Synths will rest for a while now that's for sure. Anyone else tried the diva??
erminardi

Re: Uhe diva

Post by erminardi »

i tried the demo version, it sounds well but it melt easily my i7 CPU with 2-3 instances and with a medium complex sound...
IMO minimax still wins :P
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Did you try the 1.1 version? It's up to 40 less CPU intensive.
Running it in reaper takes about 2% of my quadcore i7
And i Will allways prefer Sound quality over instances:)
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

ah, ok, maybe it was a beta version.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
dawman

Post by dawman »

It actually has the best Analog Filter emulation for Native I ever heard.
I wish they would build a Native Filter we could use in Modular, and I would run 3 or 4 in parallel.
The first time I heard it Live I already knew the keyboardist used a Native rig, mostly Kontakt and when I heard the synth I thought maybe he had purchased a rackmounted Nord or something.
I hope they build a seperate Analog Filter and include choices like we have on the hardware Solaris.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

It really is impressive. The filters go ALL the way. I have very sensitive hearing in the hi freq (I can at least hear 20khz) and the filters give me a headache just like the real analog synths do. I have never heard anything quite like it in vst/ scope world before. The filters really bite! And the lows of the synth are really there. It also has drift and out of tune controls which is a big part of why I love analog - its constantly alive. To me this synth is really a game changer and I have never been so close to the real world of analog before. Pretty amazing! The diva for synths and nebula for mixing is extremely powerful. I just started to mix more with nebula and though you can achieve the same things with normal vst's , it's just so much easier with nebula. I had a drum mix sounding better than ever before in about 10 min. I normally spend about 30min and it normally doesn't sound that good even though I spend alot of time. Things just gel so much more easy! I'm happy with new technology:)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I totally agree, you would love the sheer amount of parameter modulations, routings, number of Oscillators and Filters on Solaris.
But if I had to ever ship Solaris to Germany for repairs, etc ( Lord Forbid ) I would buy the Diva to get me by.
Haven't really checked out the realtime modulations, but if so much was put into the Filter no others dared achieve, it's safe to assume the MIDI resolution is probably around 1024 instead of 128, if not that would be like having a Porchse with a Volkswagon engine.
spacef

Post by spacef »

I have it since a few weeks now.
Clearly not bad but still takes cpu even after the update.
it stands well in the mix and with other synths.
In terms of sound, Diva is probably the best vsti yet developped.
It says it uses 0 sample delay digital feedback, which is probably why it takes a lot of dsp. The results in the sound are obvious.
It will fit very well in my stuff, and replaced a lot of less good vstis.
I don't take it as a Minimoog emulation though, and I haven't had the impression that it pretended to be one neither. May be it is :-)

But I need real sound for the front mix, so I just ordered a MFB Microzwerg. Next month could be an eowave domino and/or another zwerg.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUf_vuT4 ... re=related
Yeah, I am addicted to those great and cheap boxes that you can play and touch... You never know what it could result in xite development :-)
nope, I don't need a moog ;-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

The Domino looks like a great box.
Have they succeeded with the DIVA interms of accessing more than 1 core + it's hyperthreaded offspring...?
I hear from guys who have developed really succeesful VSTi's that that can't access more than 1 core at a time, so each instance needs it's own core.

If something sounds good and needs more resources, I say buy the resources.
And hardware doesn't need to wait for signed drivers from Apple of M$....
Hybrid is the way to go, especially for realtime parameter modulation.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

It supports mulitcores :)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Diva is so good I'm selling my XITE-1.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:o
spacef

Post by spacef »

:lol: :lol:
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

You should! To me!! I'll trade you a copy of diva for the xite! Just pm me. :D
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Sorry for the facetious comment - I'm just getting a little tired of the "Diva is the best thing since sliced bread" that I'm getting all over the forums. I go to KvR, we're in a discussion about DSP cards and somewhere I mentioned Minimax. Before you can say, "flavour of the month" someone pipes up and says Diva is better, you don't need DSP cards etc. I go to Gearslutz, we're talking about Minibrute - a hardware analogue synthesiser, the thread is nothing to do about software, suddenly someone pipes up, you just need Diva, it sounds better than Minbrute etc. (when no-one actually even has a fucking Minibrute).

In years to come you'll be able to spot that 2012 sound as every bastard will sound the same.

Sorry about the rant, just getting a little tired of the hype.
dante

Post by dante »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I Haven't really checked out the realtime modulations, but if so much was put into the Filter no others dared achieve, it's safe to assume the MIDI resolution is probably around 1024 instead of 128, if not that would be like having a Porchse with a Volkswagon engine.
R they releasing a range of new controllers that transmit double byte CC's then ?

Like you say ....a good carry-over for if ever the DSP gets sent back to Germany for repair.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

but remember diva is new coding and it does sound good

but when open scope comes and new dsp coding comes into place then

there should be a lot more modules for experimentation for scope users

it was the same when ni massive came out for dub basses and wobble basses

it was massive is the best nothing else

but i was doing the same thing on an asr10 20 years previous doing jungle and hardcore

in fact in 1993 i brought out several dubplates with dub type basses and we played it at the raves

and a lot of dj,s did not get it and said it would never take off 16 years later and every one started to use the style

and now most tracks have it in some form playing on the radio

but most of the time i sample most of it in the e4 and asr10 and layer it and then also vector it which makes it even better hybrid style pcm and analog

korg dss1-x any one
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes Dante,
It could hold its own on stage with powered monitors, no way it can even touch Solaris or the SE-1Xs, but we're talking Windows synths here.
I dont want to knock any developers hard work, as I believe the Diva is a major achievement compared to all other Native synths I have heard.

But I will however brag about the total domination of all Synths that Solaris has, be it hardware Analog, FM, even an expensive Modular, as it really is a modular synth w/o cables.
There's nothing else like it, and if I were a DSP programmer/developer, I would have Solaris FIlters, done on the same Sharc chips of the XITE-1, transferred over.
If the old Creamware synths had those Filters, there would be no more talk of these Windows Synths.....

Maybe JHulk to the rescue of the Filter updates...........?
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

wish i had the spare cash for the solaris and exite

but just use my 2 system scopes

and as scope 6 has not been released for the scope cards as of yet

and im xp32bit ill never touch 64bit until its matured into a stable product

heck i still use ataris and old mac2si and a scope win98 machine

as for vsti until they do a sy99 or a matrix12 ill be sticking with me hardware

and modular synths

diva is way to cpu hog on my system

but works fine on my boys i7

but have been doing the shruthi synths and the latest mission filter that would make a nice modular module

as would the polyvolks filter and the ms20

id also like to see a true dual cs80 type that can do comb effects

but im into more hybrid stuff using 4osc of different types of synthesis and pcm and doing vector synthesis a lot like what the solaris can do

but with mulisamples which the solaris does not do

i have been working on a massive sample pool of spectra

and have been doing d50 type patches with 4 osc pcm playback

i will be releasing soon a modular patch of some transient loop material of la synthesis and analog modular samples and many pcm spectra

that you will be able to use in these 4 osc and wavestation style vector mix
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

To me, synths are each of them useful in its own way. I mean, it is very hard to take one product as the ultimate over everything else, in a general way. I would agree that Diva may have, for instance, the best basses, just to name anything, as a I haven’t play Diva yet myself.

A common mistake is to consider the possibilities of an instrument by itself without thinking about music as a whole. If you are a piano player and nothing will be along with you, if you always play alone, well, there the statement comes to be of a significant meaning when you say, “I like this instrument over all the rest”. But when you “record” music or “play with many other instruments” live, there is no way to say which is the best general purpose synth today, this is impossible! There are too many extremely different synths and they complement without competition. The only way to test synths and their capabilities in a more objective way would be to record several kind of music with all sort of instruments that play along with its patches, so then you can see how it comes to cut in a mix. If it blends well, this is a good thing already, for example, if it can stand out clear and loud, it is too a good point depending on what you need to do. But more often than not, when you listen to a few patches of what you thought it was a great instrument, when together with a typical band formation they tend to sound too fat, or are like butter spread onto an apple: nothing to do with each other.

I still use, eventually, Modular I synths and enjoy them much. I mean, they have a particular character that others do not have. If nothing else can sound like some of these old modules, how would it be something better? The best way to think about it is like “it is different”, but not really “better”.

I have used really strange, unusual samples sometimes that make all the difference in a song, now, if you were to hear some of these samples by themselves, you would not believe that something so ugly could do any difference in a song. Well, try to go for a few spoons of salt and see if you can enjoy it, I doubt it seriously! But how well salt mixes when cooking a good thick piece of meat in your barbecue? Priceless! :wink:

The best synth does not exist! What does exist is the best synth for a particular song; at least, this is what I understand and what I experience in a daily basis when composing music.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*