STS and 64 bit

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ricardo

Re: STS and 64 bit

Post by Ricardo »

OK. So in the meantime, does anyone know of an equivalent alternative to STS, that has similar functionality and will work as a DAW or Scope plugin in 64 bit?

R
R
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

ehasting wrote:.... i bought my first lunar2 card in 2003... now 5 pc's later, and 2 macs.. they are still going..
my TC Konnekt 24D lasted for like 4 years before it got to End of Life...

to be honest.. its so impressive... they are like the old tv screens.. my parents had their phillip 21" color tv for 18 years :).

If i ever can afford a Xite-1.. it would probably be for life... maybe my grand children can fight over it.. when i die.. :D
I still have my 24d (since 2007) and (3 PCs later) converters are still cleaner than those of an old Luna/pulsar/pro.

Now waiting my Xite-1 to be repaired (complete motherboard change), it is there (the TC), standing still under Win7-x64, operating. Of course, I can't compare with the routing capabilities of a Xite, nor even with those of any of Creamware stuff, back in the old days, but, please, state things that you know about...
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

iSiStOy wrote:
ehasting wrote:.... i bought my first lunar2 card in 2003... now 5 pc's later, and 2 macs.. they are still going..
my TC Konnekt 24D lasted for like 4 years before it got to End of Life...

to be honest.. its so impressive... they are like the old tv screens.. my parents had their phillip 21" color tv for 18 years :).

If i ever can afford a Xite-1.. it would probably be for life... maybe my grand children can fight over it.. when i die.. :D
I still have my 24d (since 2007) and (3 PCs later) converters are still cleaner than those of an old Luna/pulsar/pro.

Now waiting my Xite-1 to be repaired (complete motherboard change), it is there (the TC), standing still under Win7-x64, operating. Of course, I can't compare with the routing capabilities of a Xite, nor even with those of any of Creamware stuff, back in the old days, but, please, state things that you know about...
not to start any war here.. but i think that i was referring to software support of the hardware.. not anything related to quality.. and the 24D is end of life for TC (if you havent heard). Same goes for their PowerCore. Which means it will not get software update to support.. i.e. windows 8. Which is my point, you can use any of those old Luna/pulsar/pro card, which is way over 10 years old with new drivers. While the TC was new in 2007, and got to end of life in 2011.

anyway i am happy that you enjoy your converts, and i still got my tc 24d ;)
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

not to start any war here.. but i think that i was referring to software support of the hardware.. not anything related to quality.. and the 24D is end of life for TC (if you havent heard). Same goes for their PowerCore. Which means it will not get software update to support.. i.e. windows 8. Which is my point, you can use any of those old Luna/pulsar/pro card, which is way over 10 years old with new drivers. While the TC was new in 2007, and got to end of life in 2011.

anyway i am happy that you enjoy your converts, and i still got my tc 24d ;)
Converters are rationally better than what was made 10 years ago, no big surprise.
But that piece of device is still supported under Win7-x64 and perfectly operating (happily), which is not the case for the Xite I bought in 2010 and not talking about some of the software extensions that have still not been ported to x64 - STS for instance.
That's all I wanted to spot and I certainly wanted to flame you for being so confident into Xite's robustness.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

Ok.. sound fair.
Higen
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

Ok.. sound fair.
Higen
garyb

Post by garyb »

STS not working is one thing, but besides wav drivers in 64bit, what is not "stable" and "robust"?

i did a demo 2384 miles from my home(3836km) with an old laptop running win7 64bit and an XITE. i left the computer with newbies playing with it for 8 hours without one problem or crash. how is that not stable or robust?
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

i dont have clue.. my system is rock stabile.. i have had sessions running for over 40 hours... i am running on scope PCI.. but i cant see that makes any differences.

But i had major instabilities on my computer. and that was actually due to other programs writing over the c++ redist files that Scope is dependent on, reinstalling them fixed the whole problem. Usually when people experience instability its either cheap hardware or bad configured computer (i.e. too much trash installed).

But anyway.. would be nice to get the STS in 64bit.. but i would rather have a new sampler for the scope
Higen
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I think most often instability may be due to weak power supplies and wanky harddrives littered with random junk.

I often run Xite for 2 or 3 days in a row tracking, mixing, etc. and have NEVER crashed the hardware.

I'm using Kontakt instead of STS - but a new super-duper sampler for open-Scope / Parseq would be a nice new adventure.

Greg
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

siriusbliss wrote:
I'm using Kontakt instead of STS - but a new super-duper sampler for open-Scope / Parseq would be a nice new adventure.

Greg
Kontakt looks nice but I think I'll save my money for now and hope for something in Scope 6, or a fix.
BTw i'm feelig a little hijacked here, so I'll leave you folks to carry on now. :wink:
R
dante

Post by dante »

The VST equivalent of STS would be VolkSampler, but Im not sure that runs on 64 bit, quite possibly it would run as a 32 bit app on a 64 bit OS though.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Thanks Dante,
Not sure if it has the same sample creation functionality, but I'll install it and give it a go.
R
dante

Post by dante »

Let us know the result - it could be a workaround for those in similar scenario
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

OK, haven't had much time to play, but at least I can say so far, that multi samples will work OK. I'm using volkszampler as a VSTi in samplitude BTW. when I get time I'll see what I can do with the samples themselves. hopefully I should be able to load the sampled wav. files to build a new sample program, but we'll see. first i've got to remember how to record and edit, then assign to key groups. It's been a while so bear with me.
Stay tuned
R
korgano

Post by korgano »

@Gary.

Any news when the SCOPE 6 will be released? Even approximately?

Cheers!

Korgano
garyb

Post by garyb »

uummm,
Attachments
actually, they don't tell me either.when it's ready(which is harder than you think), then they might tell me. i can tell you that they are actually doing the work.
actually, they don't tell me either.when it's ready(which is harder than you think), then they might tell me. i can tell you that they are actually doing the work.
soon2.jpg (108.59 KiB) Viewed 16462 times
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

roflmao. thats funny :lol:
dante

Post by dante »

I predict Jan 2013, in time for the NAMM. Its too big to be done in under a year.
ikemhla

Post by ikemhla »

Hi,

Situations do differ for different people.
I got my Software keys within 3 days.
I got my copy of Ver 5.1 within 3 days.
With GaryB advising I was off and going within 10 days.
My system is Rock Solid.
My STS Samplers work in 32Bit and sound awesome.

I can mix 24 stereo tracks in SC and Sonar and the system does not even groan.
Maybe I came all the way from Tripple Board and I know what I have under the Bonnet to appreciate its value.

Sorry for being Positive. That has kept me going since Tripple Board.

Ike
YISH313z

Post by YISH313z »

dante wrote:I predict Jan 2013, in time for the NAMM. Its too big to be done in under a year.

I agree