is VDAT working on v5.1 ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

babaorum

is VDAT working on v5.1 ?

Post by babaorum »

is V-DAT working on v5.1 and do you think that's better to record in VDAT (32 bit resolution 24/96) and next import the wav into cubase or record into cubase directly is the same quality ?

baba
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
mausmuso

Re: is VDAT working on v5.1 ?

Post by mausmuso »

Just posted my findings on VDAT here http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=120
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

ok not very bad for me until now I used cubase for this job but I ask myself if vdat could be better for quality of the recording.
thank you.
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
cortone

Post by cortone »

I had some troubles with Xite-1 and Win7-64. Mostly I couldn't load or create a new tape, but also couldn't sync to VRC-S.

Here's what worked for me:

1) Don't use auto-start at boot-up. In the past, this caused problems with both VDAT and STS samplers. If you do use it, close Scope and start it again. Don't know why exactly, aside from something isn't properly initialized during boot-up and this gets cleaned up if you start after boot-up is complete.

2) Make sure you 'Run as Administrator'...not just log in with an admin acct., but actually go to the Scope.exe executable and Right-click then 'Run as Administrator...'

3) Load the VRC-S, and assign to dsp2. Leave it there.

4) Load VDAT, and make connections with VRC-S and ASIO2 Destination (Clk0, Clk1...). I didn't have to assign VDAT to dsp2, but in earlier betas that was necessary, so it's worth a try. NOTE: If you get errors when you load VDAT, (VxD, etc), delete and load again until you get no errors.

5) I haven't had to do this with the newest version 5.1, but if the VDAT is still not slaved to the VRC-S, change the system from Master to Slave, and then back to Master (or vice versa if already set to Slave).

I didn't try syncing to a DAW software, but I was able to load a tape into VDAT, record, and play back. I haven't tried the other VRC.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Cory
Last edited by cortone on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Cory that's a great discovery and you're right it works.
I actually like to go to my Motherboards BIOS on boot up to monitor my fans and temps with a little app that I use.
So now I have unpinned it and undid the regedit.

Thanks.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Thanks Cory,
You're the man!
Your setup worked for me and now at least I am back to where I was before 5.0
I am using XITE 5.1 version on a 64Bit Win 7 machine.
VDAT slaves to VRC-S (I will check the others at sometime)
Sync unfortunately is still a no go on Cubase 5.5.1 (64Bit), but ASIO 2 sync works into SAM 11.1.
MTC does not work in either direction with either sequencer.
Accadios pointed out (somewhere here) that SAM 11.1 is a 32Bit app that runs on a 64Bit machine, so maybe that is why it works for SAM and not on Cubase, not sure.
Anyway thanks for the post.
Another small step forward!
Actually this is a big step forward for me.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I will let Holger know this since I am sure he would appreciate this discovery.
cortone

Post by cortone »

Awesome, glad it's working!

When I tried again last night, I had to re-load VDAT 3 times before I got it to load without errors. I edited the post above to reflect this.

I was able to sync to Reaper 64-bit last night using APP, so we can add that to the list.

Mausmuso,

Have you tried running Cubase in Admin mode? I wonder if both need to be there for the sync to work? Just something to try if you haven't already.

Cheers,
Cory
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

ok but me I'm under PCI scope ... I can't assign a specific DSP :D
bosone

Post by bosone »

just a quick question
i just installed sfp 5.1 and vdat is in the package.

i do not have a "physical DAT". is VDAT useful for something? what should i use it for?

thanks!
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's a multitrack recorder and a damn good one too, sound quality-wise, one of the best sounding recorders available. editing is nonexistant, however. i think that the editing advantages of a good sequencer more than outweigh the audio advantages of vdat, personally.
cortone

Post by cortone »

babaorum,

The effect of assigning the VDAT to dsp2 is to move it to one of the old-style sharcs. On PCI cards, it's already running on them so no need to re-assign. Did you try 'Run as administrator...'?

Do you get errors when you load VDAT? If so, delete and try again until there are no errors.

bosone,

VDAT is a Virtual ADAT, and works in a nearly-identical way. Garyb is right, no easy way to edit although it's possible to use an external editor, but it's a great recorder for capturing MIDI-generated instrument ouputs. If you miss the old days of punching-in with a live instrument, it's perfect.

Cory
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

Just a quick update to flesh out my findings.
I note that:
- VRC-S does not (or does not appear to) generate MTC, which is why I cannot sync sequencers to it using this method
- It does not react to incoming MTC, even though I can see MTC arriving from Cubase/SAM
- It does provide a clock to ASIO 2 (evident because SAM 11 receives it OK)
- It appears to me that Cubase 5.5.x has a problem receiving ASIO 2 Clock (as this works for SAM but not in Cubase). As I said in an earlier post this may have something to do with Cubase being a 64Bit app and SAM being a 32Bit app.
Hope this helps
cortone

Post by cortone »

Mausmuso,

Did you try Admin mode with Cubase as well?

Cory
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

cortone wrote:Mausmuso,

Did you try Admin mode with Cubase as well?

Cory
Yes I tend run all the main programs that way.
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

I'm trying this week-end and if it does work I'll write 'resolved' in the title.
Am I right if I say that does work too for XITE with tips gived ?
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

HI Guys,
Just a update following a trial with a VDAT setup.
I setup a project (as per Cory's recipe above) which had a VRC-S and 3 * VDAT (24 Channels) in it.
First thing I had to do was assign the VDAT to DSP 2 (which appears to be not needed for a lesser number of VDAT instances) to make all the input connections from an ASIO2 source (It let me connect 22 of the 24 inputs without setting it to DSP 2)
I was then able to record and play back a 24 channel song without any issues.
The bad news was I could not save the project!.
It gave me an error message something about illegal module connections.
I did a number of experiments to flesh out the nature of the problem.
It has something to with the input connections.
I noted that you can load and save an 8 ch VDAT without issues.
You can load and save more instances of VDAT (I did 3 * VDAT), but I could not save the setup if there were more than the first 8 inputs connected!

Having earlier saved my 24Ch song, I then setup a project so there were no inputs to the 3*VDAT - just outputs to a 2448 mixer
I could not save and got the same illegal module error message!
This all has to do with connections!!

I would appreciate someone confirming my findings at sometime.
This maybe a DSP optimisation problem or it may be more complex - not sure!
Sorry to be the purveyor of bad news but.
mausmuso

VDAT Syncs to Reaper!!

Post by mausmuso »

Hi There,
I just downloaded the evaluation copy of Reaper 3.73 and found I can sync VDAT to via the ASIO Positioning Protocol.
-Set up VRC-S (on DSP 2) and VDAT
- Connect VRC-S ClkO to VDAT ClkI.
- Connect VDAT CLKO to ASIO2 Dest CLK
Now in Reaper
- Set up - sync to use ASIO Positioning Protocol (see the Options Menu)
- Enable Sync to timecode and
then press 'Play' button (it won't run as it is waiting for a clock signal)
Now press the VRC-S 'Play' button and away it should go.

Now you can play with offsets etc to get it to align to your recordings.

So now we have ASIO PP sync working in both Reaper and SAM, but not Cubase!
Last edited by mausmuso on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Dude......... :o
That is excellent news.

Ankyu.........
mPaule

Post by mPaule »

hi,
My experience:
Cubase SX works up to version 4 on 32bit versions.
Cubase version 5 is not, think it is up to Cubase.

Greetings
mPaule