dualcore and XTC mode

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

the19thbear

dualcore and XTC mode

Post by the19thbear »

Hi.

I have to disable cores and only leave one on, otherwise my daw (along with scope) will crash.
1 core:works fine
more than one core:no go!

I know people have been talking about this before here on planetz, but did anybody find a way to fix it?

I know this is only a problem to some people (from reading here on planetz i get the feeling that INTEL CPU's dont generate this error..)
some people reported that the problem was solved by disabling hyperthreading. AMD doesnt use HT so i cant disable it :D

this is what im using:
M3A78 PRO with amd dualcore cpu.

thanks alot!
Fluxpod

Re: dualcore and XTC mode

Post by Fluxpod »

Did you run the famous amd dualcore fix patch? If not google it! :)
pollux

Post by pollux »

I'm using a QX6800 quad core on a DFI LanParty X38 mobo, and XTC works like a charm with all 4 cores on (win 7 with core parking disabled)
pollux

Post by pollux »

I remember something like UAD cards also had (or have) a similar issue with AMD multicores... might be worth looking that way too
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

hmm.. no luck.
I might have to buy a new motherboard/CPU (again!!) :(
since my motherboard cant use intel processors.

any know good configurations?

thanks alot!
voidar

Post by voidar »

I think it is safe to assume that any fixes for UAD-1 will possibly help the Scope hardware too.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

ok..
so i found this used pretty cheap:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L

Cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 ghz

anybody had experiences with this?

thanks alot!
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

I have 2 AMD dualcore systems and works rock solid.
MB from MSI.
Check for updates from chipset producer and from MB producer before change all to new system.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

And do you use them in xtc mode?

Thanks alot!
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

yes MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum + AMD64 dual core
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

the19thbear wrote:Hi.

I have to disable cores and only leave one on, otherwise my daw (along with scope) will crash.
1 core:works fine
more than one core:no go!

I know people have been talking about this before here on planetz, but did anybody find a way to fix it?

I know this is only a problem to some people (from reading here on planetz i get the feeling that INTEL CPU's dont generate this error..)
some people reported that the problem was solved by disabling hyperthreading. AMD doesnt use HT so i cant disable it :D

this is what im using:
M3A78 PRO with amd dualcore cpu.

thanks alot!
I've started same threads in past. Intel CPU is also affected with this. XTC will crash if you have dual core or quad whatever and for example if you use a lot of VST automation. Even when not in XTC, STS will produce strange noise. Everything is "fixed" when you disable all cores and leave just one but that is not solution. I have reported this to SC 8.month ago. Maybe they have it on "to do"..
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

how much VST automation? (effects or/and synths?)
because, here, all works flawless...
Do you can make a list of plugins/number of atuomations/etc. that do crash?
I will try to replicate it in my system.

Thanks.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

I can recall that i tested it within FL Studio and Cubase 5. Just one Minimax. Filet cutoff for example. Draw some crazy automation like supar fast lfo in 1/4 bar. Press play. Try to minimize or maximize application few times(will freeze even without that) and there you have it. Sound stuttering and you can't even shut down or restart. Only forced restart (button) is possible.

I've did every possible configuration inside cset.ini you can find here at planetZ. Nothing helped until someone here advised to turn off all other CPU cores. After that everything is working without any error or freeze but that is not solution for me since i mix in host and i use native fx. But i don0t bother with that anymore since i don't use XTC anyway, and i dropped STS because of that. Scope is heart of configuration anyway. SFP is much more powerful IMO.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

So sad.... Might stop using scope until it is fixed.
Sfp mode doesnt really fit into the way i work these days. Xtc mode is the only Way to go for me.

Let me know if you have any suggestions/fixes.

Thanks!
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Anyone know more about this? I am starting to have some fun again with XTC but I don't see a point of having XTC mode at all since it is so unstable on multicore configuration.
I just tried on latest Scope 5 version (5.0.2617) and problem is still there. One can reproduce it easily with automation. I've reported this year ago. Anyone have any idea what to do now?

What's the name of that SC Modular developer hanging here from time to time? Maybe we should reach him?
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

i talked to SC about this abot 6 months ago but didnt really get a solid answer. They said it was hard to find the error because it only happened on certain computers.

Its really a shame though.. running at half speed! + the xtc section needs some working. I get some errors with scopes peq sometimes (array index out of range) and the graphics of the plugin is reset(only the graphics though), and if i have a crash while in xtc mode, the project is unusable, i have to go back to an older "save". - this happened both with cubase and reaper.
-then there is the parameter part of the plugins. You cant type in values, only dial them in.

But those are smaller problems imo. multiple core support is the most important fix! :)

---well i just emailed them again, lets see what they will say!
maky325

Post by maky325 »

stardust wrote:Just to confirm what they say. XTC working fine here with a quad core.
What configuration do you have? Please give us more details because it could help us. Maybe you did not read in detail - Some of us are having weird problems. To make it more clear - XTC mode is running here. But just by running XTC does not mean that everything is working as supposed.

But as soon as i start do write automation for VST instrument (Minimax for example but same thing is happening with every other SC synth) in host i am getting freezes. For example - i can load and play Minimax. It won't go in to any kind of freezing. Then i want to write fast automation for filter cutoff parameter(but any parameter is "affected"). After that it is matter of seconds and then i have stuttering sound and complete DAW freeze. I can only kill application. It is not Host related. Tested in Reaper demo, FL Studio full and Cubase 5 - every time same thing.

Then if i disable 3 cores leaving just one to work with - I AM NOT GETTING any freezes at all. Super stable but poor in performance for native processing. I already did every trick which you can find here on planetZ and none of this helped in any way.

I have same problem with STS sampler. Loading more programs and i have weird note freezes and sound is crackling. Disabling 3.cores will result in super smooth sound and no STS weird behavior.

Note that in pure SFP everything is working flawless even with all 4 cores enabled. I can write heavy automation via MIDI but it is not convenient as directly from host VST parameter list. As i said earlier i am starting to use XTC but this is heavy limitation. So please give us more details of your configuration. System spec, OS spec, which host do you use. I can send some test project so you could run it on your system. Then we could see and compare performance.

Kind regards

p.s. i tried same test on another configuration and i had absolutely same behavior. I doubt it is rare configuration bug.
maky325

Post by maky325 »

Update: I am attaching screenshot of error which is happening once when i ENABLE all of my cores through windows task manager. note that XTC and SB404 automation worked on single CPU core. As soon as i enable all four cores i get this message and i can only kill application.
Attachments
Scope-cpu.jpg
Scope-cpu.jpg (167.17 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
maky325

Post by maky325 »

stardust wrote:Thanks for detailing.
As said in another thread the XTC/VSTIM host integration is by far not 'well' and this is one of these examples.

You are right I have the same error with any plugin when trying to use recorded VST automation data from the sequencer's VST parameter track.
I did not recognise a relation to core number to this awkward error.

So XTC works, but yes the VST automation does NOT.
My workaround has been Midi CC.
And I agree that this is not how it should be.

I fear that SC is paying not enough attention to host integration up to now.
Thanks for your confirmation and for your time. IMO VST Automation works but it will crash any host application. It is jsut not stable in any way on multicore configuration. I've sent them mail about this almost year ago. Or maybe more or less. My english is pretty bad but i was pretty clear that time. IMHO someone from this board should make another bug report, pointing to this thread and explaining all in details but simple story at the same time. "the19thbear" where are you man? 8)

So maybe SC can fix this and build it for next release.
voidar

Post by voidar »

mpodrug wrote:Update: I am attaching screenshot of error which is happening once when i ENABLE all of my cores through windows task manager. note that XTC and SB404 automation worked on single CPU core. As soon as i enable all four cores i get this message and i can only kill application.
I get this error at times on playback If HT is enabled. So yes, XTC mode has problems with multi-core or hyper threading. There should be no doubt about this and S|C should not claim otherwise.