XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

David

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by David »

Scope 7

No glitches... glitches was part of the cut and paste question, there's no glitches in the build

using a asrock fatal1ty z97 for scope 5.1 and pci cards. No glitches there either running with a passive cpu heatsink and one large case fan, minimal noise
dawman

Post by dawman »

8) I see said the blingpd man.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Pygmy Audio Farms wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:15 am motherboard: Gigabyte aorus z390 master
chipset: Z390
processor: i9 9900k
RAM: 32gb
Graphics card: nvidia passive dual monitor
ssd, liquid cool cpu etc makes a silent pc
Does it work? (i.e., GREAT!, NOT AT ALL!, Occasional Glitches, Frequent Glitches): Great, silent

XITE-only or XITE+ScopePCI (please list): XITE-1
That i9 9900K 8-core processor is probably the most powerfullest so far now that is confirmed to work with SCOPE XITE-1. Looks like a super beastly system you have there. Thanks for posting your specs here, such info just may be some seriouse help to someone else looking for a true powerhouse system!
dante

Post by dante »

Sounddesigner wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 pm
Pygmy Audio Farms wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:15 am motherboard: Gigabyte aorus z390 master
Does it work? (i.e., GREAT!, NOT AT ALL!, Occasional Glitches, Frequent Glitches): Great, silent

That i9 9900K 8-core processor is probably the most powerfullest so far now that is confirmed to work with SCOPE XITE-1. Looks like a super beastly system you have there. Thanks for posting your specs here, such info just may be some seriouse help to someone else looking for a true powerhouse system!
So the below system should work with XITE-1D ?

https://www.scorptec.com.au/bundle/CPU/ ... S-PRO-WIFI
i9-9900KF Gigabyte Z390
i9-9900KF Gigabyte Z390
i9-9900KF.jpg (271.97 KiB) Viewed 358259 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

AMD seems to be working with Scope too according to a couple guys using them here.
I know Ive always like the fastest biggest stuff but I havent needed more CPU Power since the first i7’s.

Along the way PianoTeq Kontakt, Zebra2 and Omnisphere made their apps more efficient so even my i7 4790k now is @ 50% ror my common workload.

Sure like AMD but I’ve got my eyes on the i3 10350k 4.1 Quad due out next Spring.
SSE4, AVX and AVX 2 is what our ASIO Apps are benefitting from. And Intels approach has been what developers have focused on.
Since AMD a few developers have decided to abandon Mac all together, like Melda, who wrote a rather convincing article for his reasons.

But this only means developers now have AMD and its very active firmware crews, and Intel as choices.
Life is good.

I would have gone with AMD but they still havent said anything about a quad.
Extra cores even hyperthreading just diminishes the focus audio apps need on faster GHz and brute strength.
At least for now.
Zebra2 and Omnisphere need single core performance.

Dont care what brand its called.
So far Intel still has me looking at them.
Peter Drake

Post by Peter Drake »

A little off-topic here, but I'm wondering where are the "low-hanging" gains to run VST stuff more capably/efficiently?

In my own use-case I run a modest i5 processor (four core 3.2 GHz) with a fairly modest graphics card. Some things run blazingly fast even with multiple instances while other things seem to tax the system tremendously. An example of the former is any of the Valhalla DSP stuff, and of the latter Melda MMultiAnalyzer (which requires a minimum of two instances to really do its thing) I'm also currently getting Izotope RX7 to do a very detailed 5 minute spectrogram that looks like it will take a long while, but that's probably another story.

I know just enough to probably be seriously misinformed, but my leading theories on bottlenecks are:

1. Code. Specifically the parsimony, or how "lean-and-mean" the underlying programming is.

2. Floating point operations. I know that in basic digital mathematics that different operations can eat up a great deal more or fewer cycles of the hardware and/or code.

3. Graphic demands. VST plugs and programs have tremendously differing graphic characteristics, as in the example of Valhalla/Melda above, and I speculate that may correlate to how strained the computer is by their demands. I theorize that I may be able to increase capacity by dropping in a more serious graphics card, but I also have an idea those devices are primarily optimised for gamers and/or video editors and may not offer much in our little corner of computing.

I don't want to go out on the expensive bleeding edge of computer hardware, just wondering if there are tweaks close to what I have that would make things work better.

An additional detail that may be relevant is that I have a motherboard/case/BIOS capable of doing serious gamer-level overclocking and cooling, which I've never tried because I don't want to take the chance of damaging my Scope cards by doing something weird/nonstandard.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dante wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:01 pm
Sounddesigner wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 pm

i9-9900KF.jpg

It should work, i don't see why it would'nt. I'm judging by Pygmy Audio Farms's specs in his post so i can't say with 100% certainty it will work. All we can do is look at someone else's working specs and copy them as much as possible and thats often the safe way. v7 of SCOPE eliminated a lot of issues with latest computers and SCOPE so more compatibility success stories have been posted and it's less risky now.

Let us know how it goes with that Weapon-Of-Mass-Destruction DoomsDay Device :) . That i9 8-core with XITE-1D is extremely powerfull and i'm sure it will be a dream machine for you for many many years.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Peter Drake wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:50 am A little off-topic here, but I'm wondering where are the "low-hanging" gains to run VST stuff more capably/efficiently?

In my own use-case I run a modest i5 processor (four core 3.2 GHz) with a fairly modest graphics card. Some things run blazingly fast even with multiple instances while other things seem to tax the system tremendously. An example of the former is any of the Valhalla DSP stuff, and of the latter Melda MMultiAnalyzer (which requires a minimum of two instances to really do its thing) I'm also currently getting Izotope RX7 to do a very detailed 5 minute spectrogram that looks like it will take a long while, but that's probably another story.
There's a rather simple reason based on the very different algorithmic designs of the plugins mentioned.
Valhalla is straight signal coding: input, alter, output - while the Melda or Izotope stuff 'transcodes' the input first into another format (simplified: FFT processing with a huge buffer), then does it's special math and after that transcodes back into regular digital audio output.
David

Post by David »

dante wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:01 pm

i9-9900KF.jpg
Yup, should do as it's the same stuff on that board. Had no problems. Working out what bios settings to turn off is a conundrum which still has me scratching my head, though nothing I've disabled so far has compromised performance. The Xite card sits nicely in the top x1 slot next to the processor, after much reading I reasoned this slot isn't throttled/shared with an m2 ssd
dante

Post by dante »

dawman wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:20 am My i7 4790k now is @ 50% ror my common workload. Extra cores even hyperthreading just diminishes the focus audio apps need on faster GHz and brute strength.
At least for now.
My i7 4790 peaks out on Harrison Mixbus 32C sometimes (@96Khz). Could be all the circuit modelling. Not that it's critical since at mixdown time it can take as long as it likes. Its just realtime listening and tweaking the mix I can get issues. Rendered mixdown though is clean as a whistle.

Apparently MixBus 32C makes good use of multi core (http://mixbus.harrisonconsoles.com/foru ... -5511.html) . Extra effects are offloaded to the UAD2 Octo mainly.

Same in Reason but that's where I'd like more grunt for say Shreddage etc. So if 8 cores boosts either the VST performance in Reason or Circuit emulation / overall performance in Harrison Mixbus 32C then I'll be happy.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ive got an 8086k from Silicon Lottery that actually performs in real time really well.
The extra 2 cores are what I suspect are the reason.
Havent tried it with hyperthreading on yet.
Maybe Ill check it out and see.
Im told hyperthreading and SSE4 have been optimized to help our apps more.
Since Ive upgraded to PTeq 6.6, Kontakt 6, Omni 2.6 and ZebraHZ 2,7 I should check it out.

Cheerz
dante

Post by dante »

Coolness. According to that post mixbus doesnt care about hyperthreads, only FPU's (normally one per core). Since Mixbus looks for a core (or FPU) per bus then max it can use is 12 core/FPU (since it has 12 busses). Ultimately I should maybe get a 12 core system in that case.
robinette

Post by robinette »

dante wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:55 pm Since Mixbus looks for a core (or FPU) per bus then max it can use is 12 core/FPU (since it has 12 busses). Ultimately I should maybe get a 12 core system in that case.
Not quite. Those 12 Mixbus buses are loaded in a maximum of 12 cores. That means that each bus can only be processed in a single core, without being able to spread the load to another core.
But in a project not only those 12 buses are used. There can be an infinite number of tracks in a project and, why not, "have infinity of cores".
Regards.
dante

Post by dante »

Do you use Mixbus Robinette ? If so, what H/W config u got ?
robinette

Post by robinette »

dante wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:06 pm Do you use Mixbus Robinette ? If so, what H/W config u got ?
I use Cubase. At the moment I am only learning Reaper and Mixbus. My processor is an old Quad core Q9550.
My previous comment was about what Harrison's support explains in the link, not from my own experience with a multicore of more than 12 cores.
Greetings.
dante

Post by dante »

Can confirm the following works with XITE-1D :

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 wifi pro
Chipset: Z390
Processor: i9 9900
O/S : Win10 x64
Sample Rate: 96Khz
SSD: 1 x 500MB for O/S and Apps and another 2 x 500MB M2 SSD for projects, stems, samples, refills, Kontakt libraries etc. Plus 2 x 1GB External SSD on USB 3.1 for archival / backup.

I did have to install Scope 7 over an older Scope 5 install to get rid of a startup warning regards timeout on DSP6 (which doesn't occur on Win8). However that was also true of installing Scope 7 on my previous i7 4790 system.

Other than that, everything works. Of course no PCI slots on the Z390 so I left the cards in the old system to use at 44Khz with Spewbase. Scope XITE-1D co-exists with UAD2 OctoCore on same system.

Gotta say the M.2 SSD f*****g FLY man. These are what make the system really hum. And the Mixbus32C native DSP load has dropped from about 90% to 30%, as it now has 8 x FPU to run on (MixBus32C uses FPU so hyperthreading is no benefit).

I would say if you're looking for a new motherboard, M.2 is an instabuy and only got recommended it by luck showing the mobo spec to the I.T. tech here at work. Before that I was unaware of its existance & implications for future larger orchestral streaming libraries/loads etc.
katano

Post by katano »

Hi guys,

long time no see :-D

Due to various reasons, I had to focus on other things than music the last few years... However, corona virus is on it's way and I'd like to prepare myself a bit. So just in case I can't leave house anymore, I'll fire up my old rig and compose some music :-D

Thing is, my old old old Dell tower has aged and can't handle the new Superior Drummer anymore I upgraded to last week...

So finally, question: Is there any recent off-the-shelf computer I can buy to use with Xite, without having to tune and tweak and fiddle around? Any inputs and directions highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Roman
pollux

Post by pollux »

I recently rebuilt my DAW using this:

Intel Core i9 9900k
Gigabyte C246M WU4 workstation motherboard
32 GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666MHz DDR4
Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
Corsair RMX 650x power supply
Corsair Hydro H100x liquid CPU cooler

I use 3 screens with the CPU graphic chipset.

works very well and completely silent.
Can easily run 48 tracks of 96k audio, loads of VST plugins (including Neutron on all instrument tracks, Nectar on voice tracks and Ozone on the master bus) and not a single glitch.

Cheers,

Raul
dawman

Post by dawman »

I couldn’t get Supermicro, ASRock or ASUS C236 to work, this is good news as I like ALL C Series / Xeon designs.

Thanks

JV
dante

Post by dante »

katano wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:07 am So finally, question: Is there any recent off-the-shelf computer I can buy to use with Xite, without having to tune and tweak and fiddle around?
Well, I didn't have to fiddle with my Z390 rig at all other than install everything on top of the store installed OEM Win10 x64. Depends what you mean by 'off the shelf' - all my DAWS are vendor custom built rather than off the shelf. Therefore you pay someone to fiddle for you - except I normally leave PCIe Audio peripherals out of the vendor build spec and install those myself.