Am I insane?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

pavig

Post by pavig »

Hi there

All religious issues asside - erm - I don't really think going totally computer is the way to go. A lot of people seem happy with it but I for one am not. So i got myself a patchbay, set up standard signal path, and pumped the pc up to as fat as i could afford. No i'm much happier.

There's something about analog signal processing though that can lend your production subtlety that doesn't come easy in purely pc production. Wierd things happen in the analog domain that are really hard to simulate. Personality counts.

Fr instance i've got an MwXT too and it's got a strange dark aspect to the sound that's lovely - sure there's a waldorf osc in the pulsar modularII but i haven't heard anything sound quite like the waldorf.

Sure there's pulsar compressors but sometimes it just _sounds_ better to drop your instruments out to the analog desk and run sidechain compression analog then back in to digital when you're bouncing tracks. Purists will tell you that's a "bad thing" cause you're getting lossage through d-a-d conversion, picking up noise etc, but who cares - the ears tell.

Then again i've got the best results out of pulsars hummel dubsub by staying totally digital all the way (love that device).

My advice is get a patchbay then sell any of the hardware kit that you don't use a lot. If you like the sound of it tho - it's worth hanging on to - cause even if it's VA (which the MwXT etc is) it's the personality of the device which is why you bought it and why you should keep it. No virtual device will replace a device you already know and love, be it virtual or analog.

pavig@pobox.com
peripatitis

Post by peripatitis »

Good point
i have a cheap effects unit from boss
(sx700)and although i have used waves
and t.c. reverbs i never managed to get that sweet sound from them.I also noticed that every time i record a bassline from my pulse to hd i loose much of it's depth and power.
By the way the xt isn't a va synth
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Yes man! I love the dubsub! I use it regularly!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2001-09-12 20:47 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

get gear.
make music.