how2achieve this typeof elektrk guitar sound?sixstring mabe?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

heizen33

how2achieve this typeof elektrk guitar sound?sixstring mabe?

Post by heizen33 »

helo im thinking of buying sixstring and am wanted to know if it coul d make sounds like the mp3 i included. if possible would it be six string alone or need to connect an amp as well like dynatube?
cheers
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

dawman

Re: how2achieve this typeof elektrk guitar sound?sixstring mabe?

Post by dawman »

Six String won't get you there unless you want the backing Guitar parts.
I am constantly trying to get tone controls like that in Scope but find it's much easier to use the Overdrive Guitar sample DVD's from Vienna Strings.
I can take those samples and treat them in Scope with an amp emulation, tubes, etc.
I add synthwaves to the samples to give them some body, and it works O.K.
But sample players like Kontakt have some libraries that do this too, but they suck butt crack.
I am in touch w/ a Kontakt developer who is working on a Guitar exactly like that where I can change the harmonics and add feedback using some Scope MIDI tricks and pedals.
Until then I have to mix samples and synths to get kinda close.

http://forums.planetz.com/download/file.php?id=4285

Here's a little Six String doing rhythm guitar and an amp emulator.
The synth is doing the lead minus the samples.
It's and old experiment but it does demo Six String through MCCY's free amp plug in, and for static tones it works fairly well.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

LOL Infected mushroom
recognized by the third note :D

I think they used a v-synth GT.
heizen33

Post by heizen33 »

nice tune jimmy, i like the funky six string synth sound in ur demo. doesnt sound as realistik n powerful as the mp3 i posted , yes the one and only infected mushroom neutron :P ,but the six string does has a unique sound 2 it. about the infected mushroom(geniuses) mp3 i first thought it was real guitar or samples but if u listen closely the guitar morphs into a synthetic sounds sometimes. i think ur right neutron, i was also thinking maybe some kind of roland, korg, or yamaha gear, i remmber playing with i think was a yamaha motif and never heard any sample library or player that sounded so good and playable. v-synth deffintly sounds correct. so theres no specific guitar amp in scope i could couple with six string or somethign to get this kind of sound or something similar(a clean powerful elektric guitar)? or only the bastards with the high tech toys get to have all the fun??
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Somewhere on youtube there is some demo of roland v-synth doing guitar with the variphrase thingy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXy3-Ni- ... L&index=53
i always wanted to get one but its about 3rd on my list after 2 other expensive things :)
ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

Neutron wrote:Somewhere on youtube there is some demo of roland v-synth doing guitar with the variphrase thingy.
i always wanted to get one but its about 3rd on my list after 2 other expensive things :)
I think the JP-8000/8080 can get damn close to achieve that same lead guitar sound. It also has the feedback oscillator and harmonic control to get those nice harmonics, and it has the ability to stack two paches to combine the picking noise and main lead sound. Only the filter modulation for wah wah has to be controlled manually or has to be automated , because it has got no D-beam. A JP is a lot cheaper than a V-synth.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I need to go play the V-Rack while I am up here.
I am in a minature outpost but Starsound Audio had a V-Rack and while my bro was trying to talk me into using one he was only demoing sounds with vocal qualities and a D50 card that was actually pretty cool.
I thought the lead in your mp3 was kind of thin but was hitting the harmonics like a Guitarist.
It could use a pinch of a synthwave a little more and that might be a great way to get that sound. Once I play it I'll know if it will work.
I have been trying forever to get those kind of sounds, and the idea of using keyswitched articulations is a way, but if I remember my Rolands right, I could use velocity and patch layering maybe.
Thanks for the idea, I got something to do now.
I have to wait my turn for the internet up here and it sucks.
There are six teenage broads and all of their cackling Hen friends. My poor son has been tortured since his cousins have moved in.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

the rack mount version (v-synth XT) does not have the "Articulative Phrase Synthesis"
it is only on the super expensive keyboard one."GT" (i wish they would make a rack GT one !)
dawman

Post by dawman »

That's too bad about the rack lacking those features.
Those sounds are much better than the thin sounding sample libraries I have used.
But adding synthwaves always fattens things up nicely.
Even Guitarists I have worked with have a great full sound until they start doing their leads, and then while the tones sound good, the difference in fullness is so extreme I find it always lacks something, the Roland seems to fix that somewhat.
But I have always had to cover backing Guitar parts to avoid the empty void left when the Guitar starts soloing.
I need to look into this and figure out a way to get those tones using a synth, as I have tried so many samples and believe it or not my ancient 8bit Mirage sample mixed with my SE-1X has the full sound that makes my Guitar buddies squint from anger, but the harmonic and feedback combo of the Infected Mushroom stuff would be the icing on the cake.
heizen33

Post by heizen33 »

ur right i found this youtube video or jp8080 and at 5:10 does sound pretty close. since this sound is produced purely by a synth cant this sound somehow be created in some scope synth or modular? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIo8beILnY

edit: heres anothrer video just found of a v-station soundign close as well but much thinner,probably cause its a vst http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2osS4kDDNM
cheers
ChampionSound wrote:
Neutron wrote:Somewhere on youtube there is some demo of roland v-synth doing guitar with the variphrase thingy.
I think the JP-8000/8080 can get damn close to achieve that same lead guitar sound. It also has the feedback oscillator and harmonic control to get those nice harmonics, and it has the ability to stack two paches to combine the picking noise and main lead sound. Only the filter modulation for wah wah has to be controlled manually or has to be automated , because it has got no D-beam. A JP is a lot cheaper than a V-synth.
Last edited by heizen33 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks for this post.
I wouldn't have seen this otherwise, as I have too many guys trying to sell me stuff all of the time, and I usually rely on their lame demos.
This is something I would love to finally be able to do.
heizen33

Post by heizen33 »

check out this beast the jd-800, ahh i need this sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swamOTYDCM0
astroman

Post by astroman »

beast... what about a dwarf then ? :D
ok, this lacks a guitar, but shows the handling pretty well on different sounds
I like these because the toy keyboard (cz-101) is neither touch nor velcity sensitive :lol:

actually I wanted to post an example with Python Pro, but the license is on a different card than installed, oops. I've been praising it a couple of times for it's fake guitar abilities, so I feel like owing a proof...

cheers, Tom
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

just try putting a slightly rounded off triangle wave patch through a guitar distortion stomp box (or Scope effects pedal) followed by wah -
???

who knows, it might work.

....or...just hire a guitarist (we're really good people) :lol:

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
astroman

Post by astroman »

you're perfectly right Greg 8)
I happened to stumble across some old Bluegrass stuff and believe it or not... the 10 secs starting at 1.05 are the most impressive guitar solo I've heard for quite a time.
Ok, a completely different style, but's that's spot on what a 'solo' should be imho.
The dude (Junior Barnard) is soooo cool - and you just can't fake that feel :D
Btw he was one of the first very first users of distorted guitar sounds, ahead of his time for sure.

cheers, Tom
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

Nice setup, and cool video.
nice iPhone guitar solo, although it were random played notes ;)
btw what module produced that FM sound with chorus?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Cool Stuff..

And yes Brotha' Man Astro,
There was a scene in the movie " Back To The Future " where Micheal J. Fox did a rock guitar solo and everybody stopped dancing and stared.......It was that scene that was happening when Junior was playing in the late '40's. They copied the theme and put it in the movie... :lol:
And actually being a lover old American Music styles they actually call that " Texas Swing" or back then probably Western Swing.
I know I am a synth nut and keyboard guy, but my favorite music is the old Traditional Bluegrass, and Texas Swing. When I do gigs I often play that old stuff for break music and people love it. VDAT even brings out the old crackles really well and it is just a drastic switch from what we would be doing. It went over so good at a Pool Party at the Palms 3 years ago that they paid to make copies to CD and they have mixes where they make the DJ's or band use it.
I think it's because the percussion and just strong grooves the old players did is so refreshing after hearing banging drums song after song.
I am definately not a fan of Country Music as they call it these days, but whenever I am in Nashville I hit every Bar around as that city has the best live Guitarists at the littlest dumpy bars in the USA.
Check out the recordings from Sonny Landreth where he does a tribute to Junior the Booger Man. I think you'll like his tone and technique. Landreth plays all the time in N'Orleans and is a stunning performer also.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

ChampionSound wrote:
Nice setup, and cool video.
nice iPhone guitar solo, although it were random played notes ;)
btw what module produced that FM sound with chorus?
do you mean that sound at the beginning? It is just a sample playing through molar. + ohmboys.
ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

Neutron wrote: do you mean that sound at the beginning? It is just a sample playing through molar. + ohmboys.
Sorry for not being clear in my previous post, I mean the sound starting from 1:40, where you are tweaking on a certain module. I'm just curious what it is.