1 vs 2 computer setups

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

heizen33

1 vs 2 computer setups

Post by heizen33 »

hello i am new to scope platform and have 2 computers. would there be any advantges to using 2 computers(1 for scope platform and other for use with sequencer) or should i just do everything with 1 computer? if there are advantages to using 2 computers how would i hook up computers to work together?tnx
fidox

Re: 1 vs 2 computer setups

Post by fidox »

hey,

i have one simple setup using 2 computers,
-main (master) audio computer 15 DSP's (2xPulsar XTC+1xLunaII) + Cubase sequencer
connection = Midi Out to second computer Midi In and SP-DIF in/out,

-second (slave) computer with 1xLuna II (3ms latency) + steinberg V-stack (that lets you add up to 16 VST Instruments)

like having external musicstation

it helps me a lot on my projects,

matej
Tau

Post by Tau »

I also have a 2 pc setup, one for sequencing and vsts, and another one just for scope. Both computers connect via MIDI (in order to play and automate scope devices from the sequencer) and via ADAT (so I can send tracks from the seq to scope for mixing / processing, and back, for recording). The sequencer PC has an RME Digiface, with 3x ADAt I/O, which means 24 tracks digital I/O. The Scope machine also operates as a mixer for all my hardware, via an A16 Ultra, enabling real-time monitoring and processing with no latency.

I decided to build a second machine (socket 478) just for the Scopes because I was having some trouble getting them to work properly in the dual-core, and also because I had 3 Scope cards and only 2 PCI slots left in the computer! The main advantage of this setup is to have better performance both in vst and Scope, the disadvantages are not being able to use XTC mode and, of course, having twice the computer noise in the studio.

Used this way, the Scope pc becomes a hardware box that can be a synth, an fx unit, a digital mixer or all at the same time, and it's pretty straightforward to use. Using a 2-input monitor controller (the SM Pro M-Patch 2) I can monitor from either computer, so if I am not using Scope at all, I can just leave that pc off, and likewise, if i only want to play some keyboards, I can leave the other one off.

Anyway I think it's hard to tell if you'd be better off using one or two computers. It depends a lot on what you'll use it for, and also on how the Scope cards operate with your machine. I'd say one is better, if you can get everything working properly.

Cheerz,

T
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

same is here, 6dsp+sonar as master and RME on 2nd pc connected with midi. but record everything as wav to avoid pc overload or midi complication.
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

That's great, working with 2 PCs. On my first PC there are working a 14DSP card together with a 4DSP Pulsar1. I need the ADAT I/Os. On the 2nd PC (where I write these words) there is installed a Luna2 together with another Pulsar1. I take it to make bigger arrangements with the STS3000 etc.
I can fully recommend working on 2 PCs.
Thomas
dawman

Post by dawman »

Indeed.
One can avoid the whole 64bit debacle by having slave PC's.
64bit is much nicer to have when YOU need it, instead of a developer telling you WHEN to buy it.
I am anxiuos to see evryone when Scope 5.0 is released.
It will be fun driving Ralf nutty........... :lol:
valis

Post by valis »

Pretty much what I do, my primary DAW/OS is whatever I need at the moment, using a first generation RME HDSP PCI + Multiface, connected to the Scope cards in my 2nd PC with ADAT & AES (10 digital channels).