32 bit system ?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Re: 32 bit system ?

Post by spacef »

for other people, as pm to JoPo, it is possible that to see the 4gb, the motherboard requires 2*2gb ram... or that different ram have to be placed in certain specific slots etc.. otherwise it will not work... itdepends on what the manual says (and there should be a section specific on4gb ram on xp, or on asus forums etc...)... there is a special section for this in the manual of my motherboard (it is a gygabite, but asus should have the same in their manuals or forums or something equivalent, as this question have certainly been asked to them more than once)...
dawman

Post by dawman »

The Cackling Hens........ :lol:
Brings back fond memories.

Jopo just a small peice of advice since you have Scope and Romplers.
The 3GB switch will help for sure, but try and delete all CPU hungry effects in the Romplers.
With big loads they can cause crackling and they suck in terms of sound quality anyways.
Hardware or DSP based reverbs will give you a much better sound and overall experience.
I recently installed Kontakt 3.0 and it is so far a PITA. Kontakt based instruments that use K2P are much easier and the effects can be disabled.
I have having trouble w/ K 3.0 as it crashes when I try to delete the effects, that will be fixed soon no biggie, but the app is far from finished IMHO.
But use your Scope cards for effects and save your CPU's power.
Even a basic chorus in VSTi's or Kontakt's own effects are weak.
But many guys seem to love these IR's as they have nice pictures of Giant Canyons and Cathedrals, and I suppose they picture themselves under a tree or in the Pughes of a Cathedral and convince themselves of it's sound quality.
If you try them and like them cool, but try the DSP verbs and you'll have a much better sound w/o cracklings and pops, etc.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks Xite...
But, first I don't speak english as well as I wish, so I can't find anywhere what is a romplers... And I'm not having crackles noises..
Sometimes I like the effect in the computer, sometimes in the Creamware system, I trust my hears for that. For exemple, I cant' say that the phasers in the SFP are the best phaser sound I ever heard...

And I'm just trying to use more than 3 Go ram ! And the Spacef advice seems to be a good one..
dawman

Post by dawman »

Excusez-moi le Frère JoPo,

Romplers = Gigastudio / Kontakt & VSTi sample playback devices.
I was reffering to the Reverb they use.
When I get close to my 3GB RAM limits, I found that disabling the reverbs got rid of the crackels when large libraries were being used.

Phaser in Scope ?

SSB Modulator is good.
SSB Phaser is good.
Cemlos Phaza is unique, real high resonance is used.....http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15014

Then there's this one I like especially.
It has a real stompbox quality and lots of options.
I use it with an expression pedal. Small amount of depth, then I add the full amount.
It works well when used dynamically....
01-090327_0713.mp3
And yes,any effect from VST or Scope should be used, it's just that the reverb on samplers with large amounts of RAM in use can be a problem.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:
01-090327_0713.mp3
What synth is that you're phasing JV?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

So... Is it rAmplers or rOmplers ? :P
dawman

Post by dawman »

Samplers that actually sample like Creamware STS, Kontakt or Gigastudio are for guys who don't want to sound like the " Dude Next Door."
Kontakt Player, PLAY, Vienna Strings, etc. are modern day Romplers, as you must use the provided sounds just like a preset synth from Yamaha, Roland, etc.

A RAMpler is a DAW where you can pack the RAM with whatever you want I guess, but still static in nature as modifying the sound requires a little work, which is not allowed in smooth jazz recordings, especially the touchy, feely, Peace on Earth sounds of Kenny G.

And the synth was JBowens Prowave with a phaser using MIDI automations, of course with SpaceF's CC2 & Wax Control.
This type of editing of the Phaser is not allowed in Smooth Jazz either, as it requires extra work and skill which might upstage the soloist while he bores everyone with his Snake Charming Melodies.
Yamaha_ Certification.jpg
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes, hard to actually define, but even with a static library of cheezeball presets, I just add some sick SpaceF, Shroomz and MCCY effect to it with MIDI CC control, thereby catapulting it into the realm of hipness.
Scope has twisted my mind beyond repair. I can't even play a straight Rhodes sound anymore w/o putting it through a MoJo/Leslie or Flu-Liq or some sick phaser from the Hood...
Even a recent Rompler graduate can take a Scope card and twist his shit beyond repair.

To the Ninja Synth Warrior, Routing is his Weapon.............Signal Destruction....." A Way Of Life."
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yeah !!! It works !
I took of the \3GB switch and have 3.25 Go seen by windows, I have to turn off some services now...

I have readed that we must write \PAE in the boot.ini to have the 4Go working, am I right ?

Anyway, I try right now without the \PAE............
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Well !! Not so well ! I can't load mu cubase 5 project now, at the end of its load :

So , I try now with \PAE but I think , it is the same....
Attachments
Crash !.JPG
Crash !.JPG (13.67 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Ouf !!

So.. When I let \ PAE without \3GB, it is SFP wich won't work : dsp limit reached with an empty project !!!!
I had to let \3GB switch in the boot.ini to load my last (huge) cubase 5 project. But it was crashing at the very end of project load. So I think that when I'll start a new music piece, it will work without \3GB...

Anyway, windows is still seing the 3.25 Go..!

Pfffff..... I'm so lazy to do all this... Restart window + SFP + big cubase project = 4 to 5 mn ! I did it maybe 7 or 8 times !! It's too much for me !! ;)
spacef

Post by spacef »

it is more about motherboard than windows (i have cubase 5 up and running fine too).
just in case, i attach a pic of my boot.ini... no pae (?) or "3gb switch" (3gb switch is known to cause problems like freeze and crash).
i chose my motherboard because there is a specific section in the manual for 4gb ram... i do not know the asus, but if it is recent, it should work.
It also a computer i've built with 4gb ram, and then installed windows... (but i don't think reinstalling windows will change anything, iwould be surprised if it changes anything) check first in the motherboard manual and on the internet for info about your motherboard. on my motherboard, if i don't use 2*2 gb ram, they say it "might not work" (translate: it will certainly not work).

and it doesn't matter if only 3.25 is shown, it means that it takes into account 4gb ram anyway.

PS: cubase5: if you have problems in sfp like pci overflow or dsp overload in empty projects, may be it is because the project is set to 24bit by default after you install cubase5, and the asio drivers in sfp do not match. here it works (i use 24bits in cubase5 all the time now), but it takes a bit more ressources than 16bits (and i use "asio2 16 bits source" and "asio2" dest). may be that's a clue.

It can also be a "bad plugin" but i'm not sure of that, but runtime errors in cubase are more often caused by plugins, more than by something else (which is possible too, but i don't think it is ram in itself).
Last edited by spacef on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes, yes, yes...

It is ok... The 4 Go are recognize by XP... I use the asio 2 24 bit since long time and never any crack.

I keep the \3 GB switch machin chose untill my project is finished. When I will start a new one and be sure to not go back on the present one. It mays be a bad plugin, yes. But right now, it's working fine, in the task manager, I see 3.4 Go. I will try to fully load the ram another day to see untill where it works.. I want to make music to purify myself from all those XP restart..!

Thanks a lot anyway to everyone !
spacef

Post by spacef »

ah yes cool, so it's the mobo in my case.
Last edited by spacef on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terrac

Post by Terrac »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: To the Ninja Synth Warrior, Routing is his Weapon.............Signal Destruction....." A Way Of Life."
This looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

/ducks
-terrac, It's whats for dinner
Minister of tiny plastic robots
CloudFactory
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Euh !!

I now use the ASIO 2 flt 64 since I've got this new PC ! (about 4 or 5 months) and no cracking noise.
My new PC is with a intel core quad 2.5 Ghz and that's why I need so much ram : I can load VSTis and again VSTis and I'm never stuck by the CPU !! It's really amazing !

Anyway, everything is fine, now...
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

If the software is not written for usage with PAE and /3gb switch, you'll never be able to use more RAM than about 3.5GB max!
It's not just the OS itself, but a mere limitation of the 32bit address mode!

Every single 32bit OS has limitations addressing the full memory range.

How much RAM that will be available also depends on the MotherBoard/Chipset architecture (NorthBridges/SouthBridges and other addressable stuff like different types of I/O's, PCI busses,PS/2,Serial,parallel,USB ports!) Everything addressable, drivers loaded etc will use up RAM.

This value will be somewhere from 2.6 to 3.5GB depending on what HW is in use, and you won't be able to recover any more RAM (unless PAE and /3gb is supported, which most software doesn't!).
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

3.5 Go begin to be fine for me.. 4 months ago, I was stuck at 2 Go ! Then, with the 3GB switch, I could go to about 2.8, now, I didn't try the maximum but if it is even 3.4, it will be enough...
dawman

Post by dawman »

It's not " Officially " supported.
I use the 3GB Switch using Bidule as a host, and " Unofficially " loads tons of content.
It recently was upgraded to mulit core compliancy,....." Officially "...... :wink: