32 bit system ?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

32 bit system ?

Post by JoPo »

Hi..

I'm like every one : waiting for the new scope hardware... Sometimes, I go to check to sonic core if it is or not released... The last time I did it, I saw that the operating system for the Xcite is going to be XP or vita in 32 bit.
Does it mean that it will not be possible to use it with a 64 bit operating system ??

If it is not possible, it is really really really a pity !!!!!!! And I may wait for the one that will be able to run in 64 bit !! I want more than 3 Go ram !!!

And what about SFP 5 ? Will it run on a 64 bit system ?

Thanks.....
dawman

Re: 32 bit system ?

Post by dawman »

32bit only at first, which is the safe play IMHO as anyone who is currently using Scope is using 32bit.
I recently bought Kontakt 3.0 and just started using the purge feature which deletes all unnecessary samples from a performance, and so far have tons of content from Gigastudio and Kontakt loaded under Bidule. This is yet another way to use the 3GB PAE Switch and maximize the template size I wish to use.
I can honestly say that I do not see the need for 64bit just yet, but it is inevitable in the future that's for sure.
Until then I will enjoy the recent updates for 32bit that should have been released to us 2 years ago. Most developers are just now getting around to optimize the apps for multicore in 32bit XP.
Before I go to 64bit I will enjoy these recent developements.
Funny how Kontakt 3.0 was suppose to be 64bit according to their version of the word " soon " which was a year ago 2 weeks back.
The words " change " and " soon " mean very little to me these days.
I look forward to words like " now " and " ready ", and pray that those definitions haven't been altered by some new cloaked meaning.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

You're right but I'm always at the 3 Go limit and I'm affraid to pass over this limit with xcite !

Do you think that it is possible to release a 32 bit xcite OS and after a 64 bit OS for the same hardware ?
dawman

Post by dawman »

The hardware will have drivers for both O.S.'s, but 32bit first.
I prefer spending my time playing instead re authotizing apps., and trying to upgrade unless I KNOW from others that there's a benefit from doing so.
These little meters on applications that show CPU and RAM usage are wothless and misleading IMHO.
I just load and load until I cannot load anymore, often doubling on samples to see the maximum headroom limit before artifacts and missed notes occur, then I delete the extra samples and reboot.
Sounds weird, but it seems like I need to knock the shit out of the apps, then treat 'em kindly from rebooting w/ a smaller footprint.
It worked for Scope and seems to work for samplers using RAM.
With Scope I load a 95% start up project as my default, then switch to my live project which is around 85% and it works like a charm.
Chris Brown the rapper/singer uses the same techniques on women, and gets similar results...according to Prosecuting Attorney in that case.
garyb

Post by garyb »

OSX support was announced by Creamware for years. SonicCore is NOT Creamware.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Perhaps someone close to Messe can launch another spearhead investigative report....
I thought those 2 guys did a great service for everyone. Providing speakers, video snippets, etc.
Hopefully it will continue at Messe, then those people can see how much fun it is be helpful at the chit chat sites.
Soniccore was welcomed by everyone at NAMM, I heard Holger had so much fun he stayed over for 2 weeks...
I hope they have a great time again at Messe.

Anyway, thanks to GaryB & Greg for their contribution that surely drew some attention to our beloved platform.
spacef

Post by spacef »

JoPo wrote:Hi..
I want more than 3 Go ram !!!
You can add 1 GB of ram immediately on XP...
XP (SP2 or more) manages fully 4 GB of ram. Just that it will show what remains available in addition to ram used by XP itself.
With a well tweaked XP (services), you have 3.5 GB available in addition to the 500 (512) XP uses (when the services are optimized).
May be it is not 8 GB, but that's already 1GB more than 3GB...
Attachments
XP does use 4 GB of ram. it shows what is left after XP in that case
XP does use 4 GB of ram. it shows what is left after XP in that case
ram.jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
Last edited by spacef on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

-> Spacef

Oh yes ? But how do you do it ? I know how to put 3 Go in XP but more, I didn't know, do you know where to find a tutorial about that ?

Thanks !

JoPo
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Sorry for this brief off-topic interlude Jopo, I just can't help myself.

ladies & ladies .....
WelcomeToCacklingHensville.jpg
WelcomeToCacklingHensville.jpg (64.58 KiB) Viewed 3894 times

:lol:
spacef

Post by spacef »

Hi JoPo,

The motherboard must support more than 3GB... i think that's the only "serious" limitation that you may encounter.
The rest is a matter of finance :-) (and what room you have left, what kind of ram you can put etc, but that depends on the motherboard only - so instead of tutorial, only the manual of the Motherboard can tell you if it is possible)

If you put 4GB in XP - with a motherboard that allow it - it should already be above 3GB ram (around 3.25 shown in the computer properties by default on a fresh XP install): so to gain the extra 256MB, you have to desactivate several services. I do it with screenshots that I keep on a backup disk. I can send them to you when you want , by PM, but it is in French.

In general, you desactivate all kind of services that allow remote control of your PC or corespond to function that you do need (like telnet, remote access to registry, burning cds by windows, etc).
It is pretty safe, and you can modify after if needed. I am pretty sure i could disallow a few more services that i never use to gain a few more megabytes. But didn't have the time to try everything yet.

Services are accessed in the Configuration Panel / Administration Tools / Services.
It is always possible to reactivate a service anytime anyway so there is no risk of loosing data or access to the computer (or at least, i never experienced that).

I can do everything on my pc, i mean, all is available as usual. I don't see a difference in terms of functions (except that i can't burn cds from window itlself as i desactivated it, but well, i never cared about that). I should be able to desactivate more, but must find the time to try...
spacef

Post by spacef »

ps: try googling "4gb ram+XP" i found many stuff, and forums etc

just for the example http://members.cox.net/slatteryt/RAM.html

they say that XP has hard time detecting more than 3.5 GB in the system properties, but that doesn't mean that it uses "only" 3.5 GB (it can use everything, but can't "report" it correctly, and what is not seen, is used by xp itself, meaning that, what you seein yoursystem properties is what is completely free "at least".

Make the search you will learn more and how people do it (and there is nothing special to configure in fact, except disabling services that you do not need, and that noone needs except system administrators of companies that are on a network)..

Also, note there is absolutely no need to configure anything in any system file (the "3gb switch" trick" because this is useless on XP (at least since XP SP1 or 2) so don't do it, it is useless. there is nothing to do except disabling a few services. (and havin the correct motherboard).
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Euh....

Spacef, c'est pas toi, Mehdi ?

Je suis Jean-Paul, c'est moi qui t'ai emmerdé il y a quelque temps avec des histoires de preset de devices de la Blackbox... (Enfin, je dois pas être le seul..!)..

....?
spacef

Post by spacef »

c'est bien moi :D
ça ne m'embete jamais les histoires de presets et de blackbox ;-)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Ben ma carte mère est une asus p5q, j'espère que ça peut marcher, je sais qu'elle peut avoir plus que 3Go ! Il faut juste que j'achète une barette de ram..
Sinon, je veux bien que tu m'envoie tes sceenshot de service... Je dois dire que je connais pas trop tout ça, j'ai utilisé le switch 3Go machin truc dans le bidule ini... Je savais pas que c'était pas bien ! D'ailleur, ça m'a quand même permis d'utiliser plus de ram que 2 Go !

Bon, ben je vais étudier le lien que tu m'as envoyé dès que j'aurai acheté de la ram...

Merci !
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I don't understand very well... In the Spacek link, or maybe in his message, they say that there is nothing to do but switch off some XP services... But I did that before using the '3 Go switch' and I was stuck at 2Go without that '3 Go switch' when I tried to load more samples in my sampler; I even had some bad windows messages at 2 Go....!

So, je comprends rien !
spacef

Post by spacef »

let's PM :-)
spacef

Post by spacef »

for other people, as pm to JoPo, it is possible that to see the 4gb, the motherboard requires 2*2gb ram... or that different ram have to be placed in certain specific slots etc.. otherwise it will not work... itdepends on what the manual says (and there should be a section specific on4gb ram on xp, or on asus forums etc...)... there is a special section for this in the manual of my motherboard (it is a gygabite, but asus should have the same in their manuals or forums or something equivalent, as this question have certainly been asked to them more than once)...
dawman

Post by dawman »

The Cackling Hens........ :lol:
Brings back fond memories.

Jopo just a small peice of advice since you have Scope and Romplers.
The 3GB switch will help for sure, but try and delete all CPU hungry effects in the Romplers.
With big loads they can cause crackling and they suck in terms of sound quality anyways.
Hardware or DSP based reverbs will give you a much better sound and overall experience.
I recently installed Kontakt 3.0 and it is so far a PITA. Kontakt based instruments that use K2P are much easier and the effects can be disabled.
I have having trouble w/ K 3.0 as it crashes when I try to delete the effects, that will be fixed soon no biggie, but the app is far from finished IMHO.
But use your Scope cards for effects and save your CPU's power.
Even a basic chorus in VSTi's or Kontakt's own effects are weak.
But many guys seem to love these IR's as they have nice pictures of Giant Canyons and Cathedrals, and I suppose they picture themselves under a tree or in the Pughes of a Cathedral and convince themselves of it's sound quality.
If you try them and like them cool, but try the DSP verbs and you'll have a much better sound w/o cracklings and pops, etc.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks Xite...
But, first I don't speak english as well as I wish, so I can't find anywhere what is a romplers... And I'm not having crackles noises..
Sometimes I like the effect in the computer, sometimes in the Creamware system, I trust my hears for that. For exemple, I cant' say that the phasers in the SFP are the best phaser sound I ever heard...

And I'm just trying to use more than 3 Go ram ! And the Spacef advice seems to be a good one..
dawman

Post by dawman »

Excusez-moi le Frère JoPo,

Romplers = Gigastudio / Kontakt & VSTi sample playback devices.
I was reffering to the Reverb they use.
When I get close to my 3GB RAM limits, I found that disabling the reverbs got rid of the crackels when large libraries were being used.

Phaser in Scope ?

SSB Modulator is good.
SSB Phaser is good.
Cemlos Phaza is unique, real high resonance is used.....http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15014

Then there's this one I like especially.
It has a real stompbox quality and lots of options.
I use it with an expression pedal. Small amount of depth, then I add the full amount.
It works well when used dynamically....
01-090327_0713.mp3
And yes,any effect from VST or Scope should be used, it's just that the reverb on samplers with large amounts of RAM in use can be a problem.