New Luna board wont install - 'Hardware version 16 detected'

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

New Luna board wont install - 'Hardware version 16 detected'

Post by dante »

About a year ago I purchased second Luna, to add to my already existing Pulsar + Luna. I could get the new Luna to install under Scope 4 OK on my Study PC but it wouldnt install on my Music PC on which my older Pulsar + Luna was already working (under Scope 4).

So I took out the older Pulsar + Luna and just tried to install the new Luna but I get the following error :

'Hardware version 16 detected. This hardware requires a software update.
Please consult the installation guide'

Does anyone have an idea here ? I would like to get all 3 boards working together to yield 12 DSP's. I have emailed Ralf but maybe someone here will have answer quicker.
dante

Re: New Luna board wont install - 'Hardware version 16 detected'

Post by dante »

Ok I managed to get the board installed by uninstalling SCOP4 and re-insdtalling it, but now I cant get the ASIO / SCOPE driver listed inside CUBASE. All I get is the ASIO Multimedia driver which is not talking to SCOPE (this is after having loded a SCOPE project with ASIO I/O's setup ).
garyb

Post by garyb »

you put the asio drivers into the routing window BEFORE opening cubase? try reinstalling the driver.
ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

yes. And if that doesn't work, try to launch the "IO enabler" program
from Start menu -> Scope Platform -> IO enabler
And set the desired amount of ASIO inputs, outputs and midi ports. Then restart scope, put some ASIO source (and dest) modules in the project and start cubase
This worked for me a year or two ago.
dante

Post by dante »

Ok, I didnt know about the 'IO Enabler' - I will add that to my documentation of tricks. Basically, the driver installer error was due to some registry key not having enough permissions - I fixed this by googling the error from the microsoft support and modifying registry. For anyone with similar probs, just google

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ENUM\PCI

However, when I re-installed SCOPE4 the installer would not finish - just hung when the progress meter was at the end. So I suspected a similar Registry problem here as well.

At this stage, I decided to blow the lot away and start again. I reformatted my C: drive and reinstalled XP and SP3. I was able to then install my 3 scope cards under SCOPE4 correctly.

I think the fundamental problem occured when about 18 months ago, I installed XP Service Pack 3. I suspect it put in some security features which impacted the scope installers ability to modify registry settings. This would explain having to modify registry permissions when I never had to before I installed SP3, and possibly explains why the neccessity for the IO Enabler described by you Champion.

Anyway I'm now happily running on 12 DSP power for the first time ( up from 9 ) so I'm very happy :))) Especially since I got the 2nd Luna for 1/5th of RRP from Billy Hydes bargain basement. Thanks for your help Championsound, Stardust and GaryB. Hopefully this post may help other XP/SP3 victims....
dante

Post by dante »

Perhaps it was the case that years ago I originally installed Scope under a different Windows login. I think its more the case of misinformed error messages than anything 'malicious'. If there is a permission issue then that's what an error message should say - eg Windows should say 'You do not have permission to update this driver' rather than 'Invalid Data' ...and the Scope installer should say 'You do not have permission to add multimedia Audio I/O's' instead of hanging. Maybe not Soniccore's fault though since they probably wrote the Scope4 installer before SP3 was released, so never tested that combination.
garyb

Post by garyb »

interesting.
good job!
valis

Post by valis »

I've installed Scope on an Xp sp3 machine without problems. There are 2 things that could have had an effect from what I can tell from your posts:

As of Xp sp3, running an installer over a network shared resource (folder) will use your Intranet Security settings (found in Control Panel > Internet Options > Security) which may prompt you "the publisher could not be verified". This is a new change in Xp sp3 but there are a few ways to work around it (the easiest is to either copy the installation files to the local machine before running, or add the UNC path that you're running the installer from to the list Trusted Sites in Internet Options > Security).

The other thing that may have caused a problem is if you downloaded the installer. As of XP sp2 microsoft has DEP enabled by default in any system that's DEP capable (most machines for the last 3-4 years with 64bit compatible cpu's are DEP capable). This will give you the prompt "Are you sure you want to run this software?" or something equivalent, and while that prompt has become more obvious in Xp sp3, but DEP has actually been enabled since sp2. Right clicking an exe that you've downloaded and unblocking it before running it will avoid this, or you can try the following workarounds as well:

The simplest method, since Scope only needs to be installed once, is to disable DEP completely *only to install Scope*. DEP does prevent certain malicious actions from occuring without your knowledge, so it isn't recommended (or necessary) to leave it disabled. By removing "/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN" from your OS's boot.ini line you can stop DEP from being enabled on boot. But rather than removing it, simply duplicate the OS's entry to the next line, and edit that to remove it. During boot you'll see the list of both options, and you can simply select the one with DEP disabled, install scope, then reboot again and use the DEP enabled boot normally. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=7
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional NoExecute enabled" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /PAE /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional DEP disabled" /FASTDETECT
My first line also explicitly enables PAE, but as of Xp sp2 this is done automatically when DEP is disabled (and the remapping of hardware memory mapping that PAE used to enable no longer occurs, but that's a different story.) I just have that in there to make it obvious that it's enabled. Also note that if you use this method, you'll need to make sure that the location specified for the OS is the one listed in YOUR boot.ini right now. Just edit your existing boot.ini to add the extra line (copy/paste the first line) and then adjust the end parameters & titles as necessary.

----

Here's the other workaround, which I don't recommend as it may allow malicious software to run.
To disable the warning start the Group Policy Editor (Start > Run, type -gpedit.msc- and press OK) and go to:
User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Attachment Manager - then set -Inclusion list for low file types- to Enabled and enter the file types you don't want to be warned about in the box (for example: .exe).
dante

Post by dante »

Thanks Valis. I'm running a 6 year old 32 bit system, so maybe not affected by the 64 bit related issues you've described, but your post certainly adds value for anyone else with SP3 side effects.

My problems were probably a side effect of having a different login name pre SP3, therefore restricting scope ( and/or windows driver update ) from updating the registry.

This time around (after reformatting c:) I installed XP and SP3 before adding scope cards and software (all under the same login), so ended up with a clean working system & no need to hack registry.

Previous to reformat, my system was in a state where the SCOPE installer wouldn't even complete, which wasn't the case before SP3.
valis

Post by valis »

So then we can either tack that on as a 3rd cause of issues (since I'm assuming your new login *did* at least have admin privileges) or class it with the new Security Zone enforcement in local Group policies (my first suggestion, which isn't 64-bit / DEP related). :)