Stlye ?

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Stlye ?

Post by dawman »

It's an assignment, and my son helped me out w/ the Drums.

I have to turn this in Monday and we were suppose to do a recording of something we never played before.
To keep from sounding generic and calling it dance or electro, is there another style it would fall under to make it appear as though I know what I am doing?
I know it ain't sequenced and pretty yet, and my sons drum track sounds better than mine, but I will finish phase 2 Monday after class.
The problem is I like my analog synth's sounds and need to learn how to sequence tracks w/ it where I can control the filter electronically instead of the manusl enevelope release stuff I am currently doing.

Please Be Cruel, I learn better when publicly flogged..
RP_001

Re: Stlye ?

Post by RP_001 »

First of all, i think the quality the lead/bass (SE1X??) is great as far as i can judge on my livingroom monitors.

Difficult to put this in a certain genre i think, as you can go different directions with this.
It might be too basic to call it a certain style.

By adding vocals/pads/melody it could be an "electro-pop" track.

It could be a "drum&bass" track if you'll use the lead/bass in a more repeating way, with slight variations each couple of bars, and use some heavy tweeking in the break. You could also use more "electronic" sampled material, to push more in this direction. Using 16th note hihats/percussion might also help for the overall "drive".

I mostly listen to electronic music, where's it's often difficult to put it in some kind of subgenre. There's a lot of mash up between the different styles, so personally i dont like putting something into a certain genre too easy.. So as far as your assignment concerned you never could go wrong i guess :)
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: The problem is I like my analog synth's sounds and need to learn how to sequence tracks w/ it where I can control the filter electronically instead of the manusl enevelope release stuff I am currently doing.
I like recording my sequences first. After all the notes are played, i add another midi track for the controller data.. Then i will play my sequence loop , and start tweeking knobs and record that. If some parts are recorded faulty, i could can take the good parts afterwards and copy/paste it. I prefer manually recording the automation over drawing it in with a pencil...

Please post any updates if available. Curious at the end result....

Cheers!
Last edited by RP_001 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks......I cannot even begin to understand House, Jungle, Trance, etc., the naming confuses me as everyone has a different name or opinion, kind of like asking if a PC beats a Mac on a rompler forum.
It's lots of fun trying to emulate a sequencer though.
The assignment will be fun as someone else will finish the track when it's completed, then I will finish someone else's tracks.
The improvisation classes are lots of fun though. This one is considered Theory and Composition.

Thanks for the explanation and reply.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

nice dark synth drum performance....

the synth line is definitly very cool. very well playing and knob moving/filtering :)

techno with acoustic drums! has style like its creator. :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

No knobs bro, it's all done with envelope releases, which are actually fairly difficult to do on an analog synth with fast bass lines, but it's good practice.
When holding the note durations longer, the envelope gets more depth, which in turn gives a lower Frequency Cutoff of the Filter, fast releases add the extra brightness.
I will be sending the old beast in for a facelift and extensive MIDI contolling features added.
I am sure many here probably disagree w/ me, but there's nothing in DSP or VSTi that can re create the real electical circuit design or it's FAT sound, and that's why I use this beast still.
I must admit though, JBowen's Solaris has some performance tricks up it's sleeve that the analogs will never be able to do, hence the need for both.
SE-1X.jpg
I will stay w/ the all black and get the new knobs and PCB w/ extra RAM and MIDI controls, and can even have my name or a jpeg pop up in the LCD when not in the edit mode.....ohh boy. This old Dog has been around for 13 years and NEVER has any problems....it's time to pay attention to a wise invetment as it will live another 20 years.
That's the kind of gear I like to buy......no need for 64bit, or extra RAM.... it's a hardware upgrade.

It's funny my kid likes acoustic drums better than all of the other stuff I got.
He has been fiddling around with SFP effects on the hi-hats and snare all day, but really enjoyed using Dynomic and a couple of faders.......not even one Soccer break while visiting me !!!!!
Last edited by dawman on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Prog is my first thought. Of course, that depends on what you're going to add to the track.

Listen to Ozric Tentacles...
Are we listening?..
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks for the links of Ozric & Eat Static.
The Eat Static MySpace page has some great stuff and by looking at the guy I know I'm gonna be checking into that stuff even deeper.
Nothing better than seeing a fellow player sweating all over his keys...... :lol:

Thanks Guys.
Last edited by dawman on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Do an album like this Jimmy & I'll buy it !!
Reminds me a bit of Ron Boots/Ian Boddy/Redshift, but with attitude.
hollo321

Post by hollo321 »

sick track my man,not sure what style it is but that can b a very good thing, help! cant stop bobin my head