Connecting a microphone to Scope - unbalanced input

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sonicstrav

Connecting a microphone to Scope - unbalanced input

Post by sonicstrav »

I wish to connect a mic to the line in of the Scope Pro Classic card which has unbalanced i/o.

This looked like a nice cheap mic pre-amp - problem is the outputs are balanced :-

CME Matrix X Mic-Pre / Channel Strip
http://www.dv247.com/invt/37350/

How do I convert the 'balanced' signal to the 'unbalanced' input on the Scope Card - or is it of no relevance (as it is only a short distance) as the signal will default to 'unbalanced' if I am connecting a balanced output to the unbalanced Scope input.

Would it simply mean I need to increase the gain at the input in the Scope mixer?
garyb

Re: Connecting a microphone to Scope - unbalanced input

Post by garyb »

no, you'll need to DECREASE the gain coming out of the micpre. the pre, being calibrated to +4, would output a very hot signal which might overdrive the card's inputs, but could be easily mitigated by just turning the pre down. i would think most inexpensive pres would offer both balanced and unbalanced operation. many have output level switches.
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

I'll look at other stuff as well - I do no recording, only a Waldorf Blofeld into the line inputs. I'll have a look at mixers as well - it seems all the cheap stuff is balanced only unless its under £50
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

strav100 wrote: How do I convert the 'balanced' signal to the 'unbalanced' .....
On the balanced connector, tie pin 3 and pin 1 together. Pin2 is hot.
Stuart.
garyb

Post by garyb »

better to lift pin 1(sleeve).
that way you are less likely to have a ground loop.
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

Lift at the unbalanced end, not the xlr.

*If* your are having ground loop problems and it's not a transformer or cross coupled output stage then best to just connect pin2 of the xlr to the tip of the 1/4" or rca jack and connect pin1 of the xlr to the shield of the cable and leaving the sleeve of the 1/4" or rca jack unterminated.

:)
Stuart.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes.
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

http://www.dv247.com/invt/37350/

Is this bit of gear OK? What do you think of it??
Attachments
cmematrixx.jpg
cmematrixx.jpg (49.04 KiB) Viewed 1418 times
igge

Post by igge »

It seems to be a good choice, especially as it doesn't appear to have balanced outs; as your Scope card don't have that. The labels "soundcard in/out" seems to imply unbalanced jacks. Of course, there's always the option to get one of those boxes that convert between balanced/unbalanced signals. No need to mess with altering the wiring that way.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'm sure it will be fine. at that price you can't expect much, but i'm sure it's plenty functional.

if that's your budget, i might consider a little Phonic 2 channel mixer. it's similar money, but you'll get 2 mic pres and it might be useful for other things..i DO like the matrix aspect of the CME pre you posted, though.

don't worry about the balaced/unbalaced thing too much. most inexpensive balanced devices can be connected right up to an unbalanced device with no problems.
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Thanks for the replies :)
CME say the outputs are all balanced.
I was thinking of only connecting a cheap microphone to the pre amp - then into the line in of my Scope card (unbalanced)
I do have a Waldorf Blofeld which I got 2/3 weeks (my first hardware synth!) - just plugged it into the line in of scope (no idea if balanced or not - nothing in the manual)

Perhaps a wee mixer is better?
like pic below :)

I'm not sure about passing my Scope output signals through this matrix thing then connecting it to my Yamaha monitors - will it degrade the signal??
Attachments
48640_l.jpg
48640_l.jpg (60.55 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

The preamps on those are very good - much better than you'd think, given the cost (they're the same Onyx pres as on the larger Mackie VLZ3 desks).

There will be a very slight degradation to your monitoring chain if you run through that, but I wouldn't worry about it at all. Are your Yammy monitors active? If so, I'm sure you'll find that the convenience of a physical, analogue pot to control monitor level will far outweigh the pretty negligible loss in fidelity.

Cheers,

Chris
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

The Yamaha's are MSP5s - rather small - they are OK bass response not great at low volumes (obviously with small monitors)

Should I get the Mackie or the CME

What's a nice cheap mic - I can't sing - just to mess with vocoders etc.
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, you can always rely on the Shure SM58 classic dynamic, a once-in-a-lifetime investment, barely indestructable. Not exactly cheapo, though.
But if you're after that sound (it has a special 'effect' when very close to the lips, which you know from videos) then get the original - I have a Behringer copy that's really muddy, can't compete at all.
Otherwise any Chinese large scale condensor will do, the sound is more 'clean' and possibly a bit harsh, which shouldn't matter too much for this application.

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

strav, i'd prefer the mackie.

as to the mic, Astro's comments are right on. i also have a couple of favorites to suggest.

for a super high quality dynamic mic i suggest an Audix OM2 or OM3(the OM3 has the same eq curve as the SM58, but it's a much better quality mic).

the Audio Technica AT2020 is a pretty cool condensor for about $80-100.

for vocoder, you'd want a dynamic. for other things, probably the condensor...
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

I'll go for the Mackie and that Shure mic then

Thanks guys for all your help :)