1632 mixer - Mute button vs green Mix button??

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mantrix

1632 mixer - Mute button vs green Mix button??

Post by mantrix »

What is the difference between these two? That it mutes the channel
independent of the aux sends?
the19thbear

Re: 1632 mixer - Mute button vs green Mix button??

Post by the19thbear »

i believe so!
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Mute mutes the channel entirely. Mix allows it to go through the aux sends while disabling its output to the main mix.
Lima

Post by Lima »

Shayne White wrote:Mute mutes the channel entirely. Mix allows it to go through the aux sends while disabling its output to the main mix.
Right
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
mantrix

Post by mantrix »

Ok, thanks for the answers. Here is the second question, is there something i should know about this mixer (1632) before i start building my whole setup around it (connected via ADAT).
Any nasty bugs?
Lima

Post by Lima »

No nasty bugs IMO, but remember to switch the phase compensation button if you want to preserve the phase between the tracks. This eats a little dsp. If you want to control the phase track by track, do not push that button and load the free device "phase fix" as insert in the channels you want to fix.

STM 16-32 don't have busses, so you could use other mixers (for example some micromixers) before entering the STM 16-32.

:-)
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
dawman

Post by dawman »

Try the Dynamixer also. It has a great expansion of channels option that can be useful as a second option to using the micromixers.

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 16&t=23809 This is a must have and is MIDI controllable.

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 16&t=25216
This module and it's 4 x 8 equivalent might be useful as well.
mantrix

Post by mantrix »

Lima wrote:No nasty bugs IMO, but remember to switch the phase compensation button if you want to preserve the phase between the tracks. This eats a little dsp. If you want to control the phase track by track, do not push that button and load the free device "phase fix" as insert in the channels you want to fix.

STM 16-32 don't have busses, so you could use other mixers (for example some micromixers) before entering the STM 16-32.

:-)
Hi and thanks for helping me!

I do not really know much about phase compensation. Could anyone care to explain why this is needed?
In the manual it says "Use phase compensation to correct phase problems that occur outside the mixer"
Basically, i have some VA synthesizers that will be connected to an Alesis AI3 adat converter, as well
as my Emu 1820 soundcard (The Scope card will only be used as a stand alone mixer & effects unit).
Scope will be connected to the soundcard and AI3 via ADAT. Why would a phase problem occur anywhere?

Also, what is the difference between having phase compensation on the master bus and track by track?
dawman

Post by dawman »

It mostly occurs on external mic'd or DI'd inputs in my experience. What VA's are you using?

Sounds like a sound way to use Scope. Once you get your feet wet and start mixing even more complex projects you'll find the 3rd party mixers are extremely flexible and have more to offer.

Will you be using any external hardware effects?
mantrix

Post by mantrix »

The outboard gear i will be using is Yamaha An1X, Clavia Nord Rack 2, Clavia G2 Engine.
External effects, yes, i am going to get me an outboard reverb processor like TC M-one and
hook it up to Emu 1820 by SPDIF and then send it to SCOPE via ADAT. So i mean, if these
devices work as they should - how could phase problems occur anywhere in the audio chain?

I like 1632 because its everything i need, 4 AUX channels, 2 inserts (wich could be expanded by adding MultiFX).
Also, i think its the most pleasing for the eye, its simple. I dont need any super advanced mixer since i think
it will only be in the way of creating music, ok if i were doing more studio stuff. But music is my main goal and
therefore the more simple the better to avoid my creativity getting stuck!

All i need now is a good sounding delay unit, i have found SpaceF Echo 35 and will try the demo.
I want a digital delay with analog sound!

Why is no phase compensation offered on a mixer like Mackie 1642 http://www.mackie.com/home/showimage.ht ... 42VLZ3.jpg
Is the problem something that is specific for the digital mixing domain? Im not sure i have understood it really..
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Mantrix,

SpaceF delays are awesome, what do you mean by analog though? Is the tail that fades away while getting grungy what you mean, I am, not sure.

And I would hook up the TCElec. verb w/ the SP/DIF's to Scope, not the EMU. If you are using their great sampler software for adding effects to samples I guess it's a workaround for using both cards simultaneously. That card w/ the sampler software is an incredible value. I used EMU hardware samplers for years, so I know their app. while being owned by Creative Soundblaster guys, is equal to more expensive apps. Wise economical choices for sure.

Using Scope's STM1632 for a mixer w/ effects is a great live tool also. Hardware reverbs are wise as they sound great and don't chew up DSP's. I recently used several of the DAS RMX160A's in a drum mix w/ different presets and was shocked at how many loaded up. They won't replace a hardware verb IMHO, but using it as a splash here and there was very effective while my hardware verb carried the Pianos.

Gotta Go Breaks Over, :wink:

Check Out SpaceF's AUX Delay Too.
Celmo's Tape Sim
Wolf's Matrix
mantrix

Post by mantrix »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Brotha' Man Mantrix,

SpaceF delays are awesome, what do you mean by analog though? Is the tail that fades away while getting grungy what you mean, I am, not sure.

And I would hook up the TCElec. verb w/ the SP/DIF's to Scope, not the EMU. If you are using their great sampler software for adding effects to samples I guess it's a workaround for using both cards simultaneously. That card w/ the sampler software is an incredible value. I used EMU hardware samplers for years, so I know their app. while being owned by Creative Soundblaster guys, is equal to more expensive apps. Wise economical choices for sure.

Using Scope's STM1632 for a mixer w/ effects is a great live tool also. Hardware reverbs are wise as they sound great and don't chew up DSP's. I recently used several of the DAS RMX160A's in a drum mix w/ different presets and was shocked at how many loaded up. They won't replace a hardware verb IMHO, but using it as a splash here and there was very effective while my hardware verb carried the Pianos.

Gotta Go Breaks Over, :wink:

Check Out SpaceF's AUX Delay Too.
Celmo's Tape Sim
Wolf's Matrix
I have a Scope card with AES/EBU instead of SPDIF, so im not sure how it would work connecting a TC M-one to it. I found a website with instructions how to make a converter cable, from SPDIF to AES/EBU, and it seemed easy. Though it was not clear if it would work both ways. Meaning, i could have SPDIF unit that only sent a signal as master and hook it up to AES/EBU connections, but it might not work with a unit requiring SPDIF both ways such as an effect unit. Or am i wrong? It would be nice to connect it directly to the SCOPE card because then i could have one more ASIO channel via ADAT from the 1820 instead of the SPDIF being sent.

I tried both Celmos vintage delay and Spacefs Echo35 but none of them really appealed to me. I will stick with the onboard delay effects.