Idea for the mighty developers: Multi-Synth_Slot

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

Lima

Idea for the mighty developers: Multi-Synth_Slot

Post by Lima »

The Idea is:
A device wich contains more than one synth: totally similar to the MultiFX-Insert.

The user loads the synths on it and then he can play them in unison.

In these ways could be very easy to build layers of synths and using the preset functions the user can easily switch from one to another with a single click

Is such a device possible?

:-D
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
bosone

Post by bosone »

just connect all the synths to the same midi input and channel...
Lima

Post by Lima »

Ciao Matteo! I know it! I was asking for a device that permits to store the PRESETS of unison layered instuments! A kind of box where you load the instruments once and then you can recall them in other projects with a single click.
I mean without reload every instruments and every preset for every instruments every time I need them.
A kind of " unison host "
;-)
Last edited by Lima on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janni

Post by Janni »

That sounds like a really cool idea!
Some kind of container for a stereo or mono synth and some slots for fx's...
Like the channel device with a slot for synths...
That would be ideal for live!!! s4l, where are you?
:D
Cheers,
Jan
-/-
hubird

Post by hubird »

like Native Instruments allows?
Lima

Post by Lima »

Janni wrote: That would be ideal for live!!! s4l, where are you?
:D
Yes! :-)

And to save precious time when the same layers are used often ;-)
wolf

Post by wolf »

sounds nice ..
:P
dawman

Post by dawman »

Sounds awesome,
There are many great sounding " little synths " from 3rd party guys and Creamware.

The big synths take too much time for their presets live, such as QWave, and Solaris. They can be made to do mini presets, which would load faster, but defeats the purpose. I love ProWave for live work. For my particular needs it is the ultimate Live Soft synth you can have.

Such a device would be spectacular, I think it's a great idea, and this is what makes this forum so valuable IMO. Several heads, are better than one, or the few. ( Sounds Like Spock :lol: )

The " little synths " that I spoke of like Saturn ( my favorite ), and others, Poison, Prism, Inferno, etc., all have a different flavor, but sound really good blended. I did this at first w/ Saturn, the FATTEST little free BASTARD I ever heard. Saturn also allows polyphony settings per preset. ProWave also does this, as I have some patches that are really DSP hungry, I set the poly to 12 in the live bar, and have certain presets which would downsize to 8 when loaded, very nice.

The multi FX device works great. I have loaded it in an Aux before with SSB Modulator, Celmo Phaza, Hexa Chorus, and PsyQ for a really great shimmering phase shifter that gets applied by twisting one knob on my KS88's. I could see playing ProWave, and morphing in some multi synth textures, or just calling up a preset with 4 synths, all with different attacks, and octaves for a really FAT WIDE PAD. This would be a great device for CC5, CC8, MultiControl, and Cyprox also. When controlling 4 synths with a single CC, you can get some really unique sounds.

Scope never ceases to amaze me. The same goes for the ideas of many of my Brotha's here as well.

Great Idea,.....Fuckin' A !!
hubird

Post by hubird »

would be great to have this combined with some kind of a SonicCore (SonicKORE?) hardware controller like the NI Kore controller!
:-D
to get inspiration: check -if you didn't already- the Kore video tour on http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=kore1
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Well, It's already built guys. My brother Sharc & I have been talking about building some sort of simplified virtual Noah for quite some time & it's now a reality. We have a working version in the sdk & just need to iron out a couple of issues before adding a user interface.

Stay tuned Scopers :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

That'a'boy Shroomz II ( formerly known as Shroomz ),

This will work great for guys who just want to use basic synth combo's to achieve FAT BASTARDS.

If C4T ever gets PB, and more Poly, it will bypass the best free synth we have currently. Saturn is a good sounding polysynth, but C4T's great architechture, and sound would bypass that old workhorse.

A C4T w/ Vectron, or Celmo's BlueWave, would have some unique timbres 4 sho'. Then add some MIDI controllers in various places,..........Damn !!

There Is No Rest 4 The Wicked !!
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

It's not all good news.
Unfortunately there is no way to make synths work in our multi slot unless the makers of specific synths are willing to make some modifications to the IOs of the module to make them compatable. What this means more or less is no commercial Creamware synths etc. The device will only be able to load synths which have been modified to our specs which will most likely mean there'll only be a choice of a handfull of synths, but I can't say how many for sure yet.

JV, the hard sync on the C4T would be adversely affected by making the device polyphonic. There might be a workaround though.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well that's no biggie actually Brotha' Man Shroomz.

C4T is a killer mono synth. The idea of having 2, 3, or 4 of those in a multi slot w/ different presets, and different amounts of Pitch Bend ( Oh, Sorry ) would be a monster lead synth. No offense to any other developer here, but this is the only synth in DSP that I own that does mono the way I like it.

I dreamed of having a synth that could have unconventional pitch bends in it's aresenal. I often take GigaViolin and play 2 instances of it w/ different amounts of pitch bend. But where the killer effect takes place is when I manually blend them like a Cajun trio of Fiddles do naturally. For example, GViolin # 1 has a PB value of 1, which is normally a half step, GViolin # 2 has PB value of 2, being a whole step. So blending them both together sounds like a whole section of fiddlers when the wheel bends just a little bit. But if someone were to " invent " a new type of PB value, it would certainly be a hit with the new crazy kids of synths IMO. Why not have the number 1 represent a quartertone? And a value of 2 would be a half step, 3 would be a trip, and 4 would be the whole step. This would allow a new dimension of performance IMO, and a new standard could be born. Then instead of barely moving the wheel for a wanted result, you could use the center where the gulley in the plastic bastard sits, and pull it down or push it up with greater accuracy. Who said pitch bend was written in stone? I don't buy that story 4 one fuckin' minute.

Perhaps you and Sharc could create a new and exciting way to make synths more fun to play. I have been doing these tricks for years live. For example on my Ensoniq Mirage I couldn't immatate a good guitarist doing those 2 string bends, where you would bend the B strings pitch up to match the value of the E strings pitch for that great Ted Nugent, or Black Sabbath sound. I did it, but used the same sample on 2 different EII's that were stacked on top of each other. Using one hand I would play with my thumb on the lower keyboard, and my pinkie on the top. I would bend the lower to match the pitch of the top. It was not easy, but when one must immatate an instrument, you must know how it's done on the original and try to match it.

Just wait till Wavelore finishes my Pedal Steel. Then I shall punish the Joe Bobs of Nashville.

I have high hopes for the multi synth slot using multiple C4T's. Please consider my twisted visions of PB though. It would be rather unique.

Cherry-O,
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Looks like you're not the only one with twisted visions of PB then JV. Let's wait and see, eh. The multi slot is coming along nicely, reporting the names of loaded pres & stuff like that. Won't be long, maybe 2008! :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Serve No Wine B4 It's Time.
Lima

Post by Lima »

crossed fingers here... :-)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

There's a couple of new devices to be finished before the release of this, so it won't be right away by any means.

We're still hoping other sdk guys with free synths will get involved as well, so it could take another month or two at least. Just to let you know the state of play Lima :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha Man Shroomz II,
Does the SCI Pro One have a MIDI retrofit ?

Also, thanks for your work on multi Slot. A great live performer that will be.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

No, there isn't a midi retrofit on the Sci Pro-One. It's not modified in any way, so you get the standard CV & Gate sockets for external control from a midi to CV converter or whatever. It also works very well in conjunction with a bass station rack or super bass station which has a built in midi to CV converter with a specific Pro-One mode.
Lima

Post by Lima »

Shroomz II wrote: it could take another month or two at least. Just to let you know the state of play Lima :wink:
Well, any news about any progress is a really good new for me! :-)
Thank you!