Desiging a front-end for modular patches

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Chisel

Desiging a front-end for modular patches

Post by Chisel »

I was messing around with the free SynthMakerCM edition that comes with Computer Music Magazine July issue and got to thinking... How difficult would it be to create a front-end synth construction set for our modular patches? Think about having a program that lets you design and layout the controls of a synth and then lets you assign MIDI CCs to all of the controls for OUTPUT into Scope. It would be like taking the MRC to the next level and you wouldn't have to have the SDK to use it. I wonder if any of the existing synth construction sets support MIDI out. It would be overkill to use an existing one because I don't need the synth engine, just the controls. Any comments?

Peace \/
chisel316
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

well you can also build such midi devices in cubase, logic and even in fruity loops with the dashboard.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

We could agree on midi cc assignment. If everybody holds to a certain "Standard" all patches can be midi modulated from a modular patch.

But then everybody needs to use the same CC for the same functions. Dont know if its doable.
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

I'm not asking for a CC standard. I just want to supply a front-end for my own creations. I posted this question on another forum and got a reply from someone about a program called MIDI Quest XL. I checked out their website and it looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it's quite expensive. Has anybody here used this program? Also, the more I think about it, the more I realize that it would be nice to have, but it would be mainly just for fun so I can give my patches a pretty interface.

Peace \/
chisel316
husker

Post by husker »

No problem at all using SynthMaker to build a 'controller' GUI...it can output midi CC without doing any sound. Nice environment for building GUI's.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I had something similar in mind.

would be cool stuff.
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

husker wrote:No problem at all using SynthMaker to build a 'controller' GUI...it can output midi CC without doing any sound. Nice environment for building GUI's.
Excellent! I'll have to read the online manual and figure out how to setup the CC messages. I'm glad I asked. :D

Peace \/
chisel316

P.S. Don't forget that a FREE version of SynthMaker is included with Computer Music Magazine July issue #114!
valis

Post by valis »

Btw don't forget that you can build a 'frontend' with Mod III as well (though most of us use mod II for good reason).
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

If you will built a frontend you are still helped if people agree on a CC standard.
Chisel

Post by Chisel »

valis wrote:Btw don't forget that you can build a 'frontend' with Mod III as well (though most of us use mod II for good reason).
With Mod III, you're limited to 16 knobs. With SM or other 'construction set' software, you can construct an entire synth with knobs, sliders, switches, displays, etc... It would breath new life into our Mod patches! Also, like you said, you could then use Mod II and still give it a nice GUI for controlling. Anybody here use SM? It's a bit complicated to figure out.

Peace \/
chisel316
valis

Post by valis »

This is true, only 16 knobs. I use Logic and can build any of that in the environment so I forget how limiting other apps are in that regard (and it's one of hte major reasons I still use Logic).

Keep in mind though that as you continue to add controller data you'll affect overal the timing of midi. If you're just sending the data locally (from your sequencer to Scope sequencer source on the same machine) then you should be ok in most cases, but it's worth simplifying things as much as you can.

On a related note I often prefer to get my patches down to only a handful of controllers by having each CC control multiple things using a Val Monitor or something similar to send the 'control signal' locally in the mod patch from my CC. You can scale & offset the effect of the cc locally on each module that receives it so that you 'hone in on' the most usable value range. A simple filter sweep or sustain pedal message becomes so much more when you have the CC affect several things at once. It also helps me be more expressive during composition as I don't have to get fiddly with 28 different automation channels to achieve what I intend.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

You could try SoundDiver if all you need is something that's highly functional. Synthedit is another good option if you want to create a VST or VSTi.

Scope sdk is another option. It would be possible to build xtc compatable control / edit panels for modular patches or Scope devices.
husker

Post by husker »

Chisel wrote:
valis wrote:Btw don't forget that you can build a 'frontend' with Mod III as well (though most of us use mod II for good reason).
With Mod III, you're limited to 16 knobs. With SM or other 'construction set' software, you can construct an entire synth with knobs, sliders, switches, displays, etc... It would breath new life into our Mod patches! Also, like you said, you could then use Mod II and still give it a nice GUI for controlling. Anybody here use SM? It's a bit complicated to figure out.

Peace \/
chisel316
I've used it a bit a while ago, there's a bit of a learning curve for sure. I see someone has responded to your question over on the SynthMaker forum with a sample CC/knob app - that should get you started. Good luck!

p.s. you should look around the SM forum for knob graphics built by Angular Momentum - beautiful stuff!