Keyboard program changer

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

fra77x

Post by fra77x »

it would be great to have a simple scope device that let me assign program changes or controller in specific keys in the keyboard and with different channel settings. i need such a device for live situations..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fra77x on 2004-09-07 03:49 ]</font>
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Have you tried combining Alfonso's 2 nice little midi devices in the devices section?
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

well, Immanuel i have downloaded these little devices but i can't think of a way to use them. What i really want to do is avoid running any other program -sequencer and from inside my pulsar to send program changes to modular (which i use for drums and other sounds) and my external nova synth. To keep things as simple as possible it would be great if i could use my keyboard (but not my midi keyboard!! sorry i didn't make it clear in my first post) but from my computer keyboard-
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Celmo made a device doing just this, it is able to send Bank/program change, and also assing some fader or knob to some CC#.

Free...
astroman

Post by astroman »

here's the beginning of the readme coming with:

Bome's Midi Translator V1.31
============================

Purpose
-------
Midi Translator translates midi messages "on the fly". Currently, there are 2
algorithms implemented:

1. MIDI to MIDI
2. MIDI to Keystroke

Original intention was to create a tool that makes it possible for Juno-106
owners to turn the knobs in Propellerhead's ReBirth 338 with the sliders of the
Juno which only send sys-ex - ReBirth however only understands Control messages.

Recently, the MIDI-to-Keystroke emulation opened completely new dimensions of
using MIDI: e.g. you can control Video Editing Software, Musicplayers,
Sequencers and virtually every Windows program with your MIDI device. See also
the examples below.
:oops: could just be the reverse of what you intended, but possibly useful anyway...

cheers, Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2004-09-07 16:04 ]</font>
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

thanks guys for the suggestions but i would really like a dedicated scope device (i can't find Celmo suggested device). I don't know how difficult is to create such device but i could do my job with a very simple one with just the ability to assign some keyboard buttons and choose the channel to send the program change. (15-20 buttons would be ok).. (for the windows program except that it does the opposite, i would run cubase sx if i have to run something other than scope-you can easily send program changes from it) the idea is to avoid to run anything else...
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Check in the midi folder of sfp, isn't there a file called Midi Remote?
Not sequencer remote, but really midi remote

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcuspocus on 2004-09-08 10:32 ]</font>
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Here is Celmo's device http://www.celmo.com/MIDI_Remote_Page.htm

But as I understand it, you want to have program changes happening, when you press W or T or any other letter on your typing keyboard right?
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

that's what i want to do.. i've downloaded celmo's device but i didn't check it in my pulsar.. maybe itcan do something similar to what i 'm looking for. what's your opinion on the function i'm looking for (keystroke-program change controller) is it similar to a guitarist pedal switcher? ok maybe i can do exactly that by assign program changes in notes in my midi keyboard but i really want things to be very straitforward (i don't know if it is the correct word) and to avoid run anything else than scope... (it just like grab my guitar and play, it's different than sit in my daw open 2 programs connect everything right and then play)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fra77x on 2004-09-09 02:29 ]</font>