Drum devices

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Hmmmm, loop MIDI data? It's not real obvious how one would do that with the current Scope DP library - without constructing some special use modules.

Probably have to check with Assaf if he's able to do this in Flexor; otherwise, I don't see a way at the moment...
john bowen
bowen synth design
zarg music
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Hi Everyone!

Latest update on the RD Drum - this is in final testing stage, and should be released in a few days. Now to set the record straight, as I've heard/read a number of points raised....

I like to hopefully always present something that is of a 'pro' level...at least, musically useful in some way...but as I have mentioned, drum boxes are not my forte, and emulations of 808s, 909, etc., etc., have not been investigated at this time. What I wanted to do, after putting out the initial questions, was a relatively simple design based on my Red Dwarf approach. To help get all this done quickly, I looked into my old Creamware files, and found an early 'open' pre-version of the EDS14i, which I've used as source sounds, modifying them as modules for the initial RD Drum. In addition, there's some Custom 'module shells' which will allow any RD series II owner to create their own version of basic drum modules. (As an extra, I will offer to convert any Custom shell into a permanent Drum Module, if desired.)

So, not having the time to investigate new sound modules at this time means that most Creamware users will be familiar with the type of sound available from the RD Drum...however, the thing to keep in mind is that there will be other modules developed over time, not just from me but several others. (I'd like to reveal more, but I think one developer would probably Kick Me if I did :smile:)

The main focus was to put together a useful 'shell' with which I could develop this platform more, as it is 'new territory' for me. At the end of August, I was satisfied with what I had as a playback module, but Mr. Hummel (who was doing some beta testing for me) remarked more than once how fun it would be to have a basic sequencer added to it. Well...this was more than I had planned, but I did have the Solaris sequencer bits around, so I decided to see what I could do to incorporate it. After an additional month or so of finally figuring out some problems, etc., I am able to say it's working, and will release the ReD Drum (with a logo design by Hummel) with an integrated sequencer. It's not perfect (and it's not 32 steps, as several have requested), but it is a bit of fun to play with...certainly not comparable to most of the software drum things going on out there, as has been mentioned - but still fun!

Most of the work went into putting the shell together, and then adding the sequencer. I hope to put in a proper amount of research in the future to develop other sound modules, but in the mean time, perhaps some of the new free SDK'ers will want to experiment making their own. If you are one of these, please contact me for details on how to make the proper connections, etc., for RD compatibility.

Check my Website for updated pictures and release date.

cheers,
john bowen
bowen synth design
zarg music
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Look very very cool with step seq!!!

Yeah! This is gonna be very usefull for live!

TOP!

Great work John! Can't wait to get it :smile:
widy

Post by widy »

RedDrum looks great !

Is it possible to but after 4 clocks a horizonatele line.

for example:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 101112 13141516
x x x x | x x x x | x x x x | x x x x
--------+---------+---------+--------
x x x x | x x x x | x x x x | x x x x
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Hey, good idea!
Updated screen shot of seq page with vertical bars every 4 Gate buttons on my site...

thanks for the suggestion!
john bowen
bowen synth design
zarg music
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

(This is the same post as in the Announcements section)

OK! I'd like to announce (officially now) the new RD Drum!

As mentioned before, it uses my RD concept where each channel slot is 'empty' until the user loads a drum module, so each of the 8 channel slots are totally up to the user.

There's also a 16 step sequencer for each channel, and each sequence row can have its own step length and clock division, so you can get some pretty interesting polyrhythmic things going.
There's no Demo, as it is atypical to have this type of flexible system as a stand-alone Demo, but perhaps if needed I can make a small, dedicated Demo version (no RD Slots) for potential users to get an idea.

In the meantime, I will have to ask any of the beta testers to post some comments if they are so inclined.

Price is 80 EUR, with a bundle of the RD Drum and the RD series II modules for 115 EUR. (The RD Drum comes with 32 of its own modules; the series II just adds to the flexibility of building your own custom drum elements, or more control in the Pan Mod section, etc.)

Fully loaded, the RD Drum seems to need about 4 DSPs' worth of space, so Luna or Pulsar I owners be advised, your system will not be enough to run things to their fullest extent. More available on my Web site (but no audio demos yet, sorry).

Thanks for all the input I've received from the group!

peace,
john bowen
bowen synth design
zarg music