Anyone successfully using Cubase Pro 8 with Scope on XITE?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Eanna

Re: Anyone successfully using Cubase Pro 8 with Scope on XIT

Post by Eanna »

Mr Arkadin wrote:
garyb wrote:pci to usb host controller on the same irq as the XITE? that's probably got something to do with the bad behavior...
Is there a way to tell which slot corresponds to which IRQ in that list, or do I just have to try trial and error?
Hi, I am not sure if you are still pursuing this attack, but my first post on this page http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32257 tells you how to disable USB controllers that share IRQ with Scope cards on Win7. Not on Win8, so I am not sure if these screens are a match on Win8..

Someone recently swapped out the HDMI cable they used from the PCIe slot to the Xite, and it resolved instability...
Is it only the ASIO count that tips you into the PCI Bandwidth zone? Can you run alot of synths (without Delay modules disabled, to minimise PCIe traffic), using the on-screen keyboard, sending their audio straight out of Scope to your speakers?
Have you tried other ASIO types (like Float etc.)?
Dare I mention the "Masterverb Thread Test" ?! Guessing that would not exactly be spectacular...
Any BSODs?
And you have all power management jazz switched off? The computer purrs away while unattended? Thats caused me problems with more than Scope in the past.
I notice your Mobo says all PCIe slots are PCIe 3.0 (Gen3) - http://www.asus.com/ie/Motherboards/X99S/. I am way behind the times with motherboard technologies - might this be a problem?
Your BIOS firmware is up to date? Its such a new card, there may well be early-life patches....

Grasping at straws, use whatever bits you see fit... :-) good luck..
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
dante

Post by dante »

Mr Arkadin wrote:Hee Hee, I doubt I'll be running anything at 96kHz at this rate! I'd be happy with 44.1kHz.
Point is, there is a way you can use Cubase and Scope in a manner that only needs 1 or 2 ASIO connection - at any sample rate.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I tried some synths without ASIO. EZ Synth loaded but SB404 PCI errored. If I load the synth first then Cubase it was OK (and the sequencer on SB404 finally worked!) but doing any other changes in Scope resulted in the same error. No BSODs in any of this testing (thankful for small mercies here).

I am going to try the XITE PCIe x1 card back in my XP machine machine one last time to prove the PCIe card and HDMI lead are fine.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Sorry if this has already been recommended, but does this motherboard have onboard graphics?
If so, try ripping out the graphics card and the just use the VGA (or whatever) to see if there's something wrong with the GPU.
I did this once several computers ago, and found that the crappy graphics card was hogging resources.
Just my 2cents ( which is really worth nothing) :)

G
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's exactly my thinking...
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Same here, but by the looks of the mobo website, there's no video on board.

Try ripping the graphics card from the xp machine?
garyb

Post by garyb »

good plan.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

The various PCIe slots on this motherboard all have different properties... supporting different PCIe widths... x1, x4, x8, x16...
I also notice it has an enhanced DDR4 support for fast memory.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asu ... 022-2.html

Like, it's not a DAW problem - Cubase, Reaper, all the same behaviour.
It's not an issue with your Sonic Core hardware - no issues with Xite on XP.
It may be an issue with some Windows service or other - but this is such a big issue, it's unlikely - someone would have experienced it before now.
It could be an issue with graphics card sharing some vital memory blocks with Xite - altho on my machine, DMA sharing with my (meagre) Graphics card doesn't cause significant issues. Still needs to be ruled out tho.
It's more likely that some Motherboard timings due to optimisation techniques and support for the newest technologies breaks the backward-compatibility to 'older' PCIe technologies required for Scope to be smooth running.
Make sure your motherboard firmware is up to date. But, you might need to downgrade your motherboard away from a bleeding-edge Gaming job to a more standards-compliant server-grade motherboard... Or open a ticket with Asus / trawl the forums...
There may be options to disable some modern technologies - check that tomshardware link in tandem with your motherboard manual, see what options are available thru the BIOS. Even at that, if this is the problem, then flicking the "backward compatibility" switch is not necessarily gonna help..

You might consider running some PCIe Compilance tools too. Never done it myself, but Google popped this up, so use at your own risk: https://www.pcisig.com/specifications/p ... compliance
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Seems like a lot of work to me. I'm only a semi-geek and I do have a switch-off point (which I think I've nearly reached) when stuff doesn't work.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

dante wrote: Point is, there is a way you can use Cubase and Scope in a manner that only needs 1 or 2 ASIO connection - at any sample rate.
I see you're trying to be positive, but If I cannot use more than six ASIO and none of the synths for fear of overload then this system is useless to me.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Mr Arkadin wrote:Seems like a lot of work to me. I'm only a semi-geek and I do have a switch-off point (which I think I've nearly reached) when stuff doesn't work.
Yes I appreciate that.
What are your options...?
If you stop poking and prodding with your existing setup now, you're looking at swapping out for a different motherboard. That'll require an OS rebuild.....
If you continue poking and prodding, there's a chance you get Scope running OK, but also, a chance of 'wasting time' on a motherboard that simply won't run Scope nicely, and be faced with a new mobo and OS rebuild anyway...
If you're time- and patience-rich, the latter is an option. If you're cash-rich, the former... And if you're like me, you'll be neither ;-)

Two things I would focus on - Motherboard Firmware updates / Asus forums/helpdesk, and checking what options you have to configure your PCIe slots in the fancy BIOS (keeping in mind you never want Scope and USB sharing the same IRQ). Disabling the on-board Wifi too is a good idea. And do try swapping out the graphics card.

There's always a chance here of a defective motherboard too - altho, all slots being similarly affected for Xite, but the graphics card not being affected, would suggest not. Not sure what kind'a returns you may have on it... EU law has a strong Returns policy.

Either way, good luck.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Eanna wrote:Not sure what kind'a returns you may have on it... EU law has a strong Returns policy.
Well it's a custom build with a five-year warranty. I've e-mailed their support so hopefully they'll be pretty flexible on trying other stuff - I hope they don't go with the "It's working within spec and they can't guarantee it'll work with all third-party hardware" line. I think they'll be OK though as it is an expensive machine. At the moment I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse if I try any more 'fixes'.
dante

Post by dante »

An OS rebuild to eliminate mobo wouldn't be drastic, I did that just to get 2 plugins working. Swapping out the video card is a no brainer and of course a step before mobo. I did that as well just to fit in an extra Luna.

The ASIO workaround suggestion was of course not a final fix, just a way to keep working meanwhile.

The semi-geek thing is just a state of mind, where most of us have been.

The video card - just do it.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

By the way I forgot to mention that the graphics card is pretty hefty - so if I can I'll try something a little less intensive. I'll see what options the computer guys give me.
dante

Post by dante »

Well I had to downgrade my 850MHz overclockable Gigabyte Radeon HD7750 (2GB DDR3) to a stock Gigabyte Radeon R5230 (1GB DDR3).

The 2GB is now a paperweight - but Scope & Cubase still look the same and the music doesn't sound any different :P
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Although I must mention I was hoping to do some farily intensive video editing work with the computer, hence the heavy duty graphics card.
dante

Post by dante »

That figures - puts your reluctance into perspective :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, but the graphics card might not be working correctly. i'd swap it out with the card from the other computer just to check.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

It's an old computer. I'm not even sure what the graphics card is - SLI? Do they work in PCIe slots?
garyb

Post by garyb »

SLI has nothng to do with the slot. it's about linking cards.

if the computer has PCIe slots, it probably has a PCIe video card.