NAMM 2013

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

Re: NAMM 2013

Post by Bud Weiser »

siriusbliss wrote:Apparently Dave Smith is releasing the Prophet 12.

Search youtube.

G
:)

Well,- a Solaris owner and member of JB Synth design forum posted @Musicplayer/ KC,- Prophet 12 OSCs (4 +subOSC per voice) are digital and realized on 6 SHARCs, then after conversion run into mixer, filters and VCAs.

It comes w/ 4 LFOs and 4 ENVs per voice, LP + HP filters and more,- also FX (p.ex. separate delay per voice).
The FX are also calculated on the chips.
Seems, Dave learned something from John,- 2 voices per SHARC and the factor of 4. :D

Anyway,- I hope we´ll read some news about SCOPE soon,- here or @ xited.org

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

we're right next to Dave Smith...

there's not much to tell as far as the impactful news that everyone wants. there is a new compressor from a new developer and the rest is still in the works.

actually, so MANY important things are happening behind the scenes that are really important. a fantastic conversation with Copperlan pointed this out. Julian has his hads full. between Scope 6 and SDK, a new pc editor for Solaris, Parseq and the jobs that must be done to pay bills, it's not suprising that progress is slow. progress is also quite steady, however. there are a lot of important things that just can't be spoken about which are all moving towards expansion and empowerment of the Scope platform, and many of these threads are coming to conclusion. personally, i'm not in a hurry, which might not be popular.

lots of pictures to come...though i never take pictures that i should. seeing Frank Hund, Axel and Rembert(important figures in Creamware's heyday) and Hojoon was really fun, but no photo...the whole experience is extremely stressful. it's noisy and busy and expensive as F^#^. partking for EXHIBITORS is $12 a day and is crowded bumper to bumper in all surrounding streets. my throat hurts from talking...our neighbors make BEAUTIFUL handmade Rhodes Pianos and Clavinets just like the old ones, but WAY better. they have three fender twins to play them through, and some famous musicians came and played a ton of funk which was cool, but ultimately was part of the too loud, non-stop backround noise. there really isn't a peaceful moment to discuss anything of substance. coffee helps...
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

Thanks Gary keep us posted
dante

Post by dante »

PC Editor for Solaris is an interesting development. Wonder if it will use the JUCE gui ?

Since Solaris already has 6 x LCD will be interesting to see how a PC display can improve things.

Since ParseQ will have in-built modular device construction, theres probably a common codebase there with the new SDK, so Julian might be killing 2 birds with one stone...
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

garyb wrote:we're right next to Dave Smith...

there's not much to tell as far as the impactful news that everyone wants. there is a new compressor from a new developer and the rest is still in the works.
Hey.. new plugins is cool! tell us more?! is there any web-site for this new developer?
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
katano

Post by katano »

regarding the new plugin and developer, this is all I know:
Attachments
newplugin.jpg
newplugin.jpg (75.57 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
petal

Post by petal »

garyb wrote: there's not much to tell as far as the impactful news that everyone wants. there is a new compressor from a new developer and the rest is still in the works.
Hmm damn! But ok
garyb wrote: however. there are a lot of important things that just can't be spoken about which are all moving towards expansion and empowerment of the Scope platform.
Let's speculate then:
garyb wrote:we're right next to Dave Smith...
And put two and two together:
Bud Weiser wrote:Well,- a Solaris owner and member of JB Synth design forum posted @Musicplayer/ KC,- Prophet 12 OSCs (4 +subOSC per voice) are digital and realized on 6 SHARCs, then after conversion run into mixer, filters and VCAs.

It comes w/ 4 LFOs and 4 ENVs per voice, LP + HP filters and more,- also FX (p.ex. separate delay per voice).
The FX are also calculated on the chips.
Seems, Dave learned something from John,- 2 voices per SHARC and the factor of 4.
What do you guys think?
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have what I need in synthesis and live sound for 2 years now, so if there's something that will make me go "Wow" I will simply buy it.
But new developers from Holland, so close to home too, is encouraging.
Once you have a Solaris and an XITE-1 getting excited usually comes from creating sounds and songs on the gear you already have.
But maybe this year at NAMM someone can make a great controller, that has "controls."
I grow weary of these cheesy FP Wood keybeds, that forgot to add the ModWheel, and PBend.
Or ones with dozens of controls, and truly discouraging MIDI resolution and action.
The software most of us run is far superior to the crappy hardware being regurgitated year after year...
The new Kawai Controller seems to have fallen out of someones massive rectum..
The Casio PX-5 is looking mighty sweet though, at first glance I thought I saw a Ribbon controller, but then realized they just wanted to appear to be Bowen-esque....
dawman

Post by dawman »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... b_Ox7NXDkk

Day-Amn....SHARC ADSP 21369s Strike Again...

More proof you never buy an Analog synth from a guy who doesn't have a bald head, or Gray Hair..

2 more Gods of Analog below.

On Lettermans show there was the usual Top Ten segment, and this year the discussion was "Top 10 reasons Why Craig Anderton won't interview Tom Oberheim or John Bowen this year."

The Number 1 answer in Letteremens Top 10 was....
1) Becasue, he was tired of seeing his relection on their heads...

Ankyu
Attachments
NAMM.JPG
NAMM.JPG (60.13 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: But maybe this year at NAMM someone can make a great controller, that has "controls."
The Casio PX-5 is looking mighty sweet though,...
That´s correct !

Casio Privia Pro PX-5S is an amazing value for it´s price which is a steal.
Here are the specs:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/winter-n ... px-5s.html

I´m looking for a new 88 controller since a long time and this is the one w/ 4 zones internal/external, 6 sliders, 4 pots, 2 pedal inputs, MIDI assignable,- and a cool action.
The electric pianos are very much improved, the Rhodes sounds excellent and not over-hyped,- more the Herbie Hancock type of sound which I prefer and the Wurli is also good.
Acoustic piano is very impressing and the machine does a good job for layers and splits w/ local sounds alone while the 4 zones control all internal and external simultaneously when you need that.
256-voice polyphony !!!
Latest CASIO synth engine under the hood too,- usable for the "bread&butter" pad layer stuff too.
24lbs ...

So, w/ this, XITE-1 and Solaris you might be done for years and don´t have to squeeze out too much from NI Kontakt and other VSTis.

There´s a youtube vid, Mike Martin demonstrating the new Privia Pro and playing the Rhodes and acoustic piano and there´s another one Joe Sample playing the Wurli.
Youtube soundquality w/ all the noises from NAMM, so it can only be better over good amplification and/or studio monitors.

1.200 bucks,- no brainer.

Good, new 3rd party developer(s) jump on SCOPE train w/ new plugins for XITE though.

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... b_Ox7NXDkk

Day-Amn....SHARC ADSP 21369s Strike Again...

More proof you never buy an Analog synth from a guy who doesn't have a bald head, or Gray Hair..
At 1st glance, it´s a beast of a synth using SHARCs plus analog circuitry.
To me, Solaris w/ it´s strictly 4 channel design and more modules, joystick and ribbon is the more flexible one for sure.

Interesting, Dave Smith got out 4 OSCs, Sub-OSCs, 4-tap delay (all per voice) and all the other FX out of these 6 SHARC chips.
Over at keyboard mag youtube channel, he says Prophet 12 uses 2 independend boards, so it might be each w/ 3 SHARCs for 6 voices,- then split and stack boards to realize dual timbrality and fat layers.

Maybe an indicator dual (or quad) MIDI timbrality is possible w/ Solaris too.

Bud
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Yep 12 voices oscillators + FX performed by the 6 Sharc but at 44,1 KHz.

The whole Solaris run on 6 probably similar Sharc chips but including the whole signal chain and everything running at 96 KHz.

John already explained that multitimbrality should be possible on the Solaris because of the 2 voices/DSP design.
Just load each DSP with different settings and here you can go.
But it would need some extra software design to achieve this.
But producing and selling more SOLARIS unit is first necessary to be able to provide such an update.
neuromantik

Post by neuromantik »

So now the big question is: I have 3000$ burning a hole in my pocket, do I purchase a Solaris or a Prophet 12?!? :-?
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

Solaris..

Next question?
Higen
dawman

Post by dawman »

neuromantik wrote:So now the big question is: I have 3000$ burning a hole in my pocket, do I purchase a Solaris or a Prophet 12?!? :-?
I'd buy a kilo and then move it in small amounts for maximum profit, then get both.. :wink:

But Solaris will sound better from the digital connections, and the extra Waldorfs and VS Wavetables are crucial to making sounds that subtractive synths can't touch, but mixing them both together makes Solaris a stand out. You can't get tired of a synth with limitless sound sculpting capabilities.
Here's some presets I recently made to show the depth of programming you can get.

http://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/amplitude-modulation-1
neuromantik

Post by neuromantik »

dawman wrote:
neuromantik wrote:So now the big question is: I have 3000$ burning a hole in my pocket, do I purchase a Solaris or a Prophet 12?!? :-?
But Solaris will sound better from the digital connections, and the extra Waldorfs and VS Wavetables are crucial to making sounds that subtractive synths can't touch, but mixing them both together makes Solaris a stand out. You can't get tired of a synth with limitless sound sculpting capabilities.
Well I'm pretty sure the P12 has the VS wavetables covered :P Although the Solaris is the sound designer's lifetime synth, being an PROUD owner of Xite-1+Mod4+Flexor, I'm sometimes convinced I can coax the same sounds out of a Solaris if I work hard enough at it.
But the P12: :o :o :o

Analog VCA! w/ panning
Analog stereo distortion
Analog resonant LPF per voice (12)
Analog resonant HPF per voice (12)
Analog parameters are modulated at >11kHz sample rate

It's like a uber Waldorf Q+ and all that analog + sharc sounds like a match made in heaven... And sounds more a sound designer synth than a performance analog poly... Anyhow, I'm waiting for the final specs to be released and more demos :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxXXf9U_CVk
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

dawman wrote:
I'd buy a kilo and then move it in small amounts for maximum profit, then get both.. :wink:

Here's some presets I recently made to show the depth of programming you can get.

I simply just love that soft-lead!! Great animation in the sound!!
Higen
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

Pro12 sounds great, priced lower than Solaris reflects the maxim 'you gets what you pays for'. For mine, the ribbon, 96Khz, 6 LCD's and the sound of Solaris make it 'the one'.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

neuromantik wrote: Well I'm pretty sure the P12 has the VS wavetables covered :P
Not from anything I've read so far.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Wonder if Dave Smith has bothered to actually finish his new Prophet synth before releasing it, and not bring another unfinished synth to market in order to make money on sales of a new synth.

Finish your existing synths first before cashing in on another new one...

For me, Solaris is a far better prospect than the Prophet. There's more 'in the box'. And it probably works as advertised too....
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...