SCOPE 5.1

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Re: SCOPE 5.1

Post by braincell »

Mr Arkadin wrote:
Well I'm talking about the UK - and I can guarantee that most Avids are on PC - I use them and I know the difference between a PC and Mac. They used to be Mac because that's all you could get. Once the PC version was available people went for that because it was cheap. Most Mac users I see now use Final Cut Pro - no doubt as there is no PC version. I can't speak for the US obviously, I bet you don't work in the TV industry though so pleasew show me where you got your figures. The other stuff you mention is irrelevant to this discussion.
I don't know about the UK but I would be very surprised if most Avid users want the cheapest computer because Pro Tools hardware and software is very expensive. That does not make any sense
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

braincell wrote: I don't know about the UK but I would be very surprised if most Avid users want the cheapest computer because Pro Tools hardware and software is very expensive. That does not make any sense
Well I can take you on a tour of the UK's post-houses and TV facilities if you like. Sure there are Macs in the 'poncy' advertising agencies and pop promo-types ("I have to have Apple, darling"), but for every day sports and regular programming there are many PCs. And it's not a case of what most Avid users want, it's what the company is prepared to budget for.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Mr Arkadin wrote:
Well I can take you on a tour of the UK's post-houses and TV facilities if you like. Sure there are Macs in the 'poncy' advertising agencies and pop promo-types ("I have to have Apple, darling"), but for every day sports and regular programming there are many PCs. And it's not a case of what most Avid users want, it's what the company is prepared to budget for.
Sign me up for the tour!
maky325

Post by maky325 »

next to nothing wrote:
kwild wrote:
next to nothing wrote:Not that i am a mind reader, but i guess there are shitloads of half-truths and misinterpretations in this thread.

b) if you have a dual boot system (32 and 64 bits) you could boot your 32bit, install SCOPE, reboot, boot into 64 bit and launch the application.

Well...you can not do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You can't start SCOPE application without a proper driver installed.Period.
Please stop that crazy thing....LOL!

:lol:
If you could just read the next line i wrote:

"c) now, i dont remember if scope refuses to start without correct drivers. i suspect it does refuse, but maybe it doesnt. if it doesnt, you could probably run the application, but you wouldn't have any sound (because of lack of drivers). "

thanks , i might be crazy, but not in that sense.
No you can't. Scope 5 start and then ask/seek for your card serial and keys. For this to work i mean for software to communicate with hardware one will need proper driver. Thus i know this is impossible. At least in 64bit OS at the moment. I never heard for such thing - 32 bit driver working on 64bit OS . Microsoft official:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -questions

Look/click on last question: If I'm running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?

Yes, all hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows won't work on computers running 64-bit versions of Windows

So i am a bit disappointed with answer. Is it so hard to try it again? To share system spec at least?

Regarding SC having Scope on Vista 64 bit (we didn't see anything like that though) it can be some sort of 64bit beta driver. Nothing surprising for company which is making product preview at some show.

Maybe he had access to 64 bit beta driver without knowing this? Maybe it's already included in scope installer?
garyb

Post by garyb »

braincell wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:
No, virtually all NEW PCs are 64-bit, I still see plenty XP 32-bitters running Avids in professional television companies.
Most Avid users are on a Mac. Maximum RAM on a Mac Pro is 32 gigs. Maximum RAM under Windows XP is 4 gigs.

WRONG AGAIN.

most Avid users are on OLD macs(8600s even). when you have a WORKING studio, you don't change out a working system untill it is broken or so outdated that it can no loger keep up with work. with a system like Avid, that doesn't happen for a VERY long time. sorry, i live in Hollywood.
CroNiX

Post by CroNiX »

Well I guess we now know who the pro's are on this forum and who the people are who just want the bleeding edge for the sake of having the bleeding edge. Most pro's aren't sitting on a forum whining about what they wish they had. They're busy actually working with what they have....even if its a lowly 32bit os. Gee, it's served the world pretty well up till now.

I bet most pro's wouldn't even think of loading the 64bit drivers until they have been proven stable after a year or two. Who is going to base their livelihood or put their studio at risk on unproven technology?

Yeah the 64bit drivers might be released any day....but then It'd be an additional year or so to get them really stable. That's the next wave of complaints after the 64bit release..."this driver doesn't work well with MY motherboard combo"...."I can't do any work". Damn you SC :P Again!
CroNiX

Post by CroNiX »

Mac's are an American phenomenon. Go to Europe. They laugh at macs. Hardly anybody uses them over there, if they even know what they are. Unless you are to count an iPhone as a mac....and those are rare too.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

garyb wrote: most Avid users are on OLD macs(8600s even). when you have a WORKING studio, you don't change out a working system untill it is broken or so outdated that it can no loger keep up with work.
Some places were still using beige towers until maybe 5 years ago here in London post land, and when they did switch is was to PCs (XP 32 bit, possibly even NT back then).
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

braincell wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:
No, virtually all NEW PCs are 64-bit, I still see plenty XP 32-bitters running Avids in professional television companies.
Most Avid users are on a Mac. Maximum RAM on a Mac Pro is 32 gigs. Maximum RAM under Windows XP is 4 gigs.

Avid owns M-Audio. M-Audio was one of the first companies to offer 64-bit drivers which were free to owners of current cards.

Avid is a successful company run by intelligent people.
Avid is just another big corporateer dedicated to the bottom line.
M-Audio boxes are predominantly chinese built, with cheap converters.
Many reports of unstable 64-bit drivers that only particularly work with PT.
Meanwhile, Avid were the 'black shirts' at NAMM (literally), and wouldn't even demo PT.
They laid off two senior Digidesign engineer friends of mine (11 and 15 years at the company respectively) during the acquisition, while cutting back on development.
Presumption is that PT becomes just another DAW, and older hardware will no longer be supported (eventually).
The other major DAW companies are starting to smell blood as they position to gain market-presence.

G
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dawman

Post by dawman »

Meanwhile Back At The Ranch..........................
Lets split the thread into 3 equally cackling groups and continue to have our spittin' contests.
Pc Vrs. Mac.
XITE-1 Vrs. PCI
32bit vrs. 64bit

Titles like " PCI users are smart and don't need XITE-1 guinnea pigs. "
PC's smoke MacPro's because they're cheaper.....
32bit is for guys who like to play instead of fixing tweaking and getting red in the face.

5.1 has been ready for months.
I told Holger to wait until the pikers sold their cards, then we could quit wasting time making everything compatable and concentrate on where the money is.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
dawman

Post by dawman »

twin623l.jpg
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Late in the day but.....

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
starcorp

Post by starcorp »

also no avid/mac´s in german televison business. sorry.

edit: most on pc

jan
Last edited by starcorp on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

CroNiX wrote:Mac's are an American phenomenon. Go to Europe. They laugh at macs. Hardly anybody uses them over there, if they even know what they are. Unless you are to count an iPhone as a mac....and those are rare too.
Sorry, I don't agree. I am using Mac, my Girlfriend is using Mac, my best friend....and no, we are not alone :D Macs have been far more popular in the US in the past, right, but times are changing, even nowadays. BTW my oldest Mac is my trusty IIci from 1989 and it is still running in my studio. Connected to a Kurzweil K250 to use an old Sweetwater Editor software. I really love those 10 bit sounds via XIte :)
Alex
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

starcorp wrote:also no avid/mac´s in german televison business. sorry.

jan
afaik they use AVID at WDR.
David

Post by David »

I've been under the impression that Scope is an extremely rare and pioneering application of dsp coding, weaving together the complex processing of multiple dsp chips. A feat which in it's lifetime has never been beaten?
Can anyone clarify or confirm this assertation?

and yes, to all Sonic-Core employees, please stop wasting time reading this topic, remedy the bugs and keep us at the bleeding edge of develpoment!
DSP ADD!CT

Post by DSP ADD!CT »

Shame to see the debate that's been going on ever since Creamware was introduced is still going on. The company is too small to even try to compete with their rivals and the marketing strategy they followed over the years is not the best to say the least. Sonic Core are missing out on so many potential users it just hurts to see.
As a professional dance music producer and graphic designer i can confirm that Mac is more or less the standard worldwide. I had to leave my old beloved platform years ago cause it simply didn't fit in my new setup which incl. going Mac. I'm still checking here once in a while in the hope OS X drivers are ready and stable for me to re-enter these boards with a brandnew spanking Xite-1, however... since i've just ordered a Mac octocore i'm not sure if i would need a xite to run along that. Atleast not for the extra power, it would purely be for the great plugins.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Scope is always a good buy(assuming the proper drivers). the computers is for months, a couple years at best, but Scope is for 20years or more. the REAL GOOD plugins will always choke the cpu, eventually. you will always want more power, regardless of how much you have, that's what fuels the industry. it seems that the more powerful the machine, the less efficient new programs are...
garyb

Post by garyb »

Pygmy Audio Farms wrote:I've been under the impression that Scope is an extremely rare and pioneering application of dsp coding, weaving together the complex processing of multiple dsp chips. A feat which in it's lifetime has never been beaten?
Can anyone clarify or confirm this assertation?

and yes, to all Sonic-Core employees, please stop wasting time reading this topic, remedy the bugs and keep us at the bleeding edge of develpoment!
I CAN CONFIRM THAT.
i was there at NAMM a few years ago, when there was a quiet buzz around the place about the XITE. EVERYONE who was anyone in the synth/computer recording/or dsp industry that was in attendance came by the booth for a sneak look or a long talk with Holger and Jeurgen. that included Analog Devices and many from Digidesign.

i would NOT be surprised to find employees of Digidesign in places like this, talking smack. they SURE were interested at NAMM.

yes, Scope is bleeding edge in the dsp world. yes, Jeurgen was told that such a big assemblage of dsp chips in XITE would NOT work at all, and YES, Analog Devices was impressed.