What do you want to build?

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

If you are going for the free SDK, what do you want to build?

I am considdering a 24 channel meter bridge. I would make the numbers "analog style":

+24 RED
+18 Orange
+15 Orange
+12 Orange
+10 Orange
+8 Yellow
+6 Yellow
+4 Yellow
+2 Yellow
0 yellow
-2 Green
-4 Green
-6 Green
-8 Green
-10 Green
-12 Green
-15 Green
-18 Green
-24 Green
-30 Blue
-40 Blue
-50 Blue
-60 Blue
-70 Purple

0 will in fact be -24dB. I think it will be more logical for me to work that way. I imagine this would be a light task to start out with. But of coarse I may be surpriced.
astroman

Post by astroman »

probably you will be... :wink:
the updating of the 576 screen rectangles for the meter bar will put quite some load on the CPU due to the architecture of the graphics lib on which SFP is based (afaik).

cheers, Tom
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

In the SFP manual there is a meter bridge in the mix section (is this part of mix package 2, or is it just non-existant?). Every page on that thing has 32 channels of 21 segments = 672 rectangles. Also, the 2448 mixer has 42 segments on a stereo track. So I think (hope) 576 segments should be ok in that respect. J9k's meters have quite a lot of segments too, and those work fine for me.
j9k

Post by j9k »

the version 2 meters are very hard to work with. a lot of trial and mostly error involved. most of the problems i had were based around changing the number of segments and the which segments represented which -db. you have to be almost religious about the order in which you change things. it's the main reason i built that sine ref device.

for your first project you should do something like a mixer or a monosynth or rebuild a modular patch as a device.

j9k
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

The sine ref thing - that is the one, which changes calculates dB to huge numbers right? (goes to something which begins with 2).

Thank you for suggestions on start up devices :smile:
blazesboylan

Post by blazesboylan »

The meterbridge comes with Mixer Bundle 2 (or at least it did back in April or so). It's quite a handy tool, since you can attach it to just about any device. Unfortunately it does make me squint a lot.

I'm thinking about a few possibilities for trying out the SDK. A 48x12 mixer that requires only a few MIDI ccs to control (a la PEQ4) would be fantastic for my routing needs. We'll see how hard it is... An insert patchbay would be nice, too. Also I don't know if it's possible, but a very lightweight "clip notifier" that sends a note (preferably MIDI) when an audio signal hits 0, would be sooooo useful.

:smile:

Johann
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

I'm going to try to build a basic mixer with stereo (!) aux sends. It probably shouldn't be too difficult, would it?
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
j9k

Post by j9k »

shouln't be too hard. you will want to spend most of your time building the first channel and then duplicating it for the rest of the mixer. also put all of your controls in a "surface group" mdl on a dummy pannel inside of the channel so all of your connections get duplicated also. then you can move the surface groups to the main pannel later.

get used to using audio and controller pad mdl's when you want to export a pad on a mdl. it will save a lot of time if you make any changes to your circuit.

j9k
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

On 2004-09-20 14:30, Shayne White wrote:
I'm going to try to build a basic mixer with stereo (!) aux sends. ...
Yes - I never really understood the reasoning for making mono aux sends.
hubird

Post by hubird »

not so strange...stereo auxes wasn't relevant, the send effects didn't have stereo inputs :smile:
Many (most?) effects still don't profit really from stereo inputs, correct me if I'm wrong.
Take a reverb, in reality it makes indeed a difference for the early reflections where in a room the sound source is.
In a song it doesn't bother me, as with all other effects.
Another story however are the insert effects, the difference between a stereo and a mono distortion is obvious :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2004-09-20 21:04 ]</font>
blazesboylan

Post by blazesboylan »

I've never heard of an outboard console with stereo aux sends... In any case you can still use the 6 auxes on the standard mixers as 3 stereo pairs, and the monitor as another one. Or use the 8 buses if you don't need 'em for anything else.

But in the end whatever gets you building with the SDK, go for it! :grin:
Thalamus

Post by Thalamus »

On 2004-09-20 21:31, blazesboylan wrote:
I've never heard of an outboard console with stereo aux sends... In any case you can still use the 6 auxes on the standard mixers as 3 stereo pairs, and the monitor as another one. Or use the 8 buses if you don't need 'em for anything else.
My ghost console has 6 mono aux and 2 stereo ( http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet ... duct_id=27 ), not anything special at all. But that doens't make your solution unvalid. I mostly use the stereo auxs as monitor bus for the performers.

Noah Laux
----------
http://www.thalamusic.dk
</FONT>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Thalamus on 2004-09-29 18:37 ]</font>