Marketing SFP. Your suggestions!?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

firubbi

Post by firubbi »

Creamware may come with a very less expensive soundcard like soundblaster. maybe a mini-luna.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

What plug-in should it be able to run? I can see plenty of frustrated users, when they find out, they can do close to nothing with thier card.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Decimator

The people, who made D-Comp are located in France - and they sell CW cards.
decimator

Post by decimator »

Thanks Immanuel, I know ! :wink:
They have a nice pic, a price but a link to CW instead of a buy button, I could mail them to figure out why.
I finally found a music store in germany ( not Thomann ) that sells it ...
And again about music stores, in my experience ( mileages may vary of course ), music stores harm any products, either they don't care because they sell big / don't know / don't have the time / phones * always * ringing / many people waiting ...
How could you debate of the benefits of the CWA platform in those conditions ? this doesn't take 5 minutes ! this is a kind of speed dating ! :lol:

Thanks Astroman for shedding some lights about this CPU use issues, indeed those can be referred as objects ( dots, faders ... )
I hope they have found a way to change the way it's implemented, let's see tomorrow if the news about SFP 4.0 are confirmed ! :grin:

But at the moment it's a huge drawback : 80 % CPU use for 3 rows of moving faders, well ... ouch !

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: decimator on 2004-03-30 16:44 ]</font>
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

I bought my card because after a lot of searching for something within the windows camp ,I'm a logic casualty,and despite the fact I couldn't really understand the CW website I thought the my powersampler was a less expensive alternative to rme .
I am SO glad I went this way ,especially since I saw that I was in a position to revive my 80's interest in synths even though I came here for the audio ,I only really underdstood this recently .
Vsti's seemed pretty useful to me but now I know that the creamy synths sound a lot better . I may well buy some soon !!!
So anyway thats my rave ...Creamware's a hard concept to get hold of if you are thinking audio ,because rightfully so ,the cream guys push the synth side of things whether conciously or unconciously .
BTW ...I would really like to get my hands on a " Creamware Synths for Dummies " book because as I have previously implied ,I'm a dummy ,but I want to KNOW ,I really do.
Paul
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Synths for Dummies, plus STS samplers for Dummies, getting started for Dummies, would all be good to have. The documentation is very hard to understand for newbies, I had to ring my dealer several times all those years ago, just to get a sound.
May be someone could do something in the tutorials section.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ricardo on 2004-04-14 09:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ricardo on 2004-04-14 09:54 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

studiotech for dummies wouldn't hurt, but imho miss the topic completely.

A $1000 piece of gear isn't intended for dummies by definition.

People spending that much are supposed be aware of what they are buying.
If someone shells the cash with '...I just bought pro equipment - now my music (or production style) is pro...' in mind - well, it just doesn't work that way.

imho today people expect too much for too little effort - not restricted to music of course :wink:
and there's always some incompetent software company who's responsible...

cheers, Tom
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

well unlike some people I wasn't born immaculate and occasionally I need a bit a bit of a hand .I dont mind stumbling around because my experience has been that I always get there in the end... usually with flying colours ,however that said ,if there are any kind souls out there with something positive to say I would be delighted to hear from them . And by the way a grands worth of equipment is generally intended for anyone with a grands worth of moolah to flash . Sorry if I lowered the tone for you astroboy
bosone

Post by bosone »

On 2004-03-30 12:08, firubbi wrote:
Creamware may come with a very less expensive soundcard like soundblaster. maybe a mini-luna.
i think it would be a nice idea a one-DSP card, with the Luna AD/DA, maybe no z-link but a on-board connector for 5.1 surround.

with a downscaled version of SFP and a price between 50-100 euro it could target a lot of people who instead would buy a soundblaster.

add some toys for computer music, like the mixer, eq, compressor, effects, etc (the SB does have them) and the powerful routing, and you have a good very-entry-level product targeted for home theater and home audio, or even very very basic home recording. it may also have an OEM version of cubasis or another multitrack sequencer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bosone on 2004-04-15 05:42 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

On 2004-04-14 10:04, astroman wrote:
studiotech for dummies wouldn't hurt, but imho miss the topic completely.

A $1000 piece of gear isn't intended for dummies by definition.

People spending that much are supposed be aware of what they are buying.
If someone shells the cash with '...I just bought pro equipment - now my music (or production style) is pro...' in mind - well, it just doesn't work that way.

imho today people expect too much for too little effort - not restricted to music of course :wink:
and there's always some incompetent software company who's responsible...

cheers, Tom
true words Astro :smile:
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2004-04-15 04:47, skwawks wrote:
well unlike some people I wasn't born immaculate ...
can't be me :wink: the Pulsar was my first piece of 'serious' gear and I had to make my way through it, too.
But I rarely found a problem originated from the software (or concept) of the card itself.

I didn't know what S/PDIF or Adat master slave is about, had a Via KT133 once etc...

To be honest: the Dummies book series is nothing but a clever way of marketing obvious or already known facts with a little caressing of the stressed self of the reader in spe.
It's the cookbook switch-off-your-brain
style 'do this and that and after an hour...'

Today it's the usual excuse for personal failure (on any software) to say '... but the doc s*cks' - you can verify this in arbitrary book stores by just counting the titles.

The afforementioned 'failure' has nothing to do with personal inability.
It's just self-overestimation 'I can DO anything...' paired with some lazyness.
THAT is a sign of the times :wink:
On 2004-04-15 04:47, skwawks wrote:
...And by the way a grands worth of equipment is generally intended for anyone with a grands worth of moolah to flash . Sorry if I lowered the tone for you astroboy
any company is first of all interested in sales figures and won't leave out the 'we make pro gear - which makes your music pro' statement.
I don't know a single exception from this rule.
But you buy any sh*t that's advertized, don't you ?

cheers, Tom
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2004-04-15 05:39, bosone wrote:
i think it would be a nice idea a one-DSP card, with the Luna AD/DA, maybe no z-link but a on-board connector for 5.1 surround.

with a downscaled version of SFP and a price between 50-100 euro it could target a lot of people who instead would buy a soundblaster...
we've seen with the Luna to what this leads.
There were countless complaints why this and that would cost extra later.

Don't mess with Creative Labs
it's a completely different customer structure - and their sales are based on excellent marketing, not on facts.

It's an established brand with a coolness factor one cannot simply 'replace'.
They probably spent more money for ads in one month than Creamware in their whole history for developement :grin:

cheers, Tom
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

Oh Jeez mate ....Relax...
yes I want to understand the paradigm . No I dont want to waste my time . There isn't a whole lot of time around believe it or not . Yes I DO want a cheat sheet . I WANT to make music not spend time deciphering yet another mystery created by people so involved by their own creations that they are unable to grasp that not everyone was as involved with the process that they can follow the leaps of assumptions that have been made by yet another bloody enthusiast .
Look ..it's not friggin brain surgery you know ,Whats wrong with helping people instead of snearing at them . It's just another synth you know , like just another violin or just another drum kit or just another hammer . You know... synths can be fun... cant they?
It's NOT worth an argument because sooner or later the problem will be solved , can you give a hand or not , if not why not leave the bandwidth open for some positive thought ?
Get some sleep mate ,

you may have noticed I've gone to some trouble to solve problems that have been bought about by trying to solve some issues , I'm sorting whats the prob here ,you want to clutch the solution to your delicate breast ,fine
but,
"by their actions shall ye know them"

..in 56 years it's never let me down and I've come across some right bastards.
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2004-04-15 07:54, skwawks wrote:
Oh Jeez mate ....Relax...
... Get some sleep mate ,
what makes you think I'm raging ?
I had a perfect sleep, the sun is shining, most in the office are on a business trip and I probably can arrange some xtra sports this afternoon :grin:

I dunno what brings you up, but tnx for the '...yes, I want a cheat sheet'.
I'm a big fan of rock climbing and there's always a challenge to 'clip the first bolt', which means you have to climb up unprotected (usually 10 to 20 ft) until you can fix your safety gear.
And guess what the young dudes carry around with them today ?
A cheat stick - a kind of telescope mechanism to fix the gear from ground :lol:
..., I'm sorting whats the prob here ,you want to clutch the solution to your delicate breast ,fine
but,
"by their actions shall ye know them"

..in 56 years it's never let me down and I've come across some right bastards.
does not compute

cheers, Tom
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

No I guess I dont compute for a lot of people .
O.K.
STS is crap... forget it ..if you have a lot of akai samples well maybe it's good but ...I'd rather live with kontakt at 7 milli than ever again go for building a kit from wav
Celmo's stuff seems good . I guess it's modular stuff but you can get a git sound from it , it sounds real , and the bass amp I like a lot ,i got both , saving presets seems strange ,but hey I'm not in ,am I?
I love the solaris sounds I'll probably get it and wrestle with the dsp's till i get real enough to spend some more on a decent card and a non demo version .
I "never" "ever" considered a via chipset by the way ....in fact I had a major stand off with a comp supplier over that very issue...I won !!
You want creamware to survive well so do I.
Let it go mate or it wont !!
Even Roland give you cheat sheets , they are something to build on . Screw the theory ...they are something to build on .
I'm a bit sick of you talking down to me but nonetheless I'll give you a little more time , NO I dont buy whatever is advertised ... NOBODY would buy a creamware card based on creamware marketing ..it is the most delphic site I have come across .. I kept coming back over a 3 MONTH period because I was looking and I wanted to understand everything that was out there ,eventually I bought what I thought was a powersampler 2, unfortunately becuase of the depth of the platform and the fact that I was dragged out on the road again in between, it was 6 weeks before I realised that the local distributors had slipped me a version 1 without the the optimaster bundle that I wanted ... you can have a giggle there if you want ...but the fact is that it wasn't immediately apparent to a high IQ individual with 3 years daw experience and a lifetime of pro music experience ,
still I think creamware is great and I mean it ...I wouldn't dream of dissing the platform ...I love it...
you seem very audiologic to me in your attitude ...so condescending ....I'm happy to be using sx ...the people seem so nice .
P.S FilTher is so disgusting isn't it ...where are YOU at
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2004-04-15 09:11, skwawks wrote:
...I'm a bit sick of you talking down to me but nonetheless I'll give you a little more time ,...

...you seem very audiologic to me in your attitude ...so condescending ....I'm happy to be using sx ...the people seem so nice .
P.S FilTher is so disgusting isn't it ...where are YOU at
so who's talking down on whom ? :wink:
the topic of the thread is about better marketing for CWA's stuff and not about personal issues.

To improve documentation is always a good idea, but the provided docs are better (imho) than most I've in 20 years of software support.

Don't be fooled by the number - it doesn't prove me right.
But a fair share of the payment I receive for my job is based on exactly the attitude you proclaim - that's proof enough for me :grin:

If you refuse to learn, but prefer to fiddle around (...screw the theory...), well that's up to you, but don't make other responsible.

My point is that there is some tech stuff to learn with a sophisticated system as SFP, but 'Dummy' books aren't the best way.
I've sold computer literature for years and I'm a true fan of good books, which I still prefer over online stuff.
You may (but need not) trust me that 90% of what's published isn't worth the paper it's printed on - sad for the trees :wink:

According to your other posts you're happy with your system - that's great and the most important fact. Even if you haven't been served optimal at your local store (not all are created equal) you still can make a lot of use from what you got.

There's no need to feel offended by interpreting someone's experiences in such strange way.
Humans are lazy by nature - just yesterday I learned yesterday that an element in Modular changes it's color when set to 'polyphon' mode :eek:
If I'd read the doc completely I wouldn't have been surprised :wink:

And finally, as you refer to Logic Audio obviously, I can't stand the documentation or the concept. Yet I have no problem to accept that it's a valuable tool for many here. One can work it out certainly, but I just don't want to.

cheers, Tom