pulsar with laptop?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis »

Is there a way to use the pulsar card with a laptop system?
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

There is a PC-card to PCI expander by Magma http://www.magma.com that is tested by Digidesign and approved to run Protools on. I know that there was one guy running Pulsar on a laptop on the Creamware forum. This was on a Mac but it probably works on PC:s as well.
I have my doubts about the PCI performance of such a solution though. Pulsar is more PCI hungry than Protools as Protools has memory on the DSP cards and Pulsar has not. But if you don't run any reverbs it should work.
peripatitis

Post by peripatitis »

Thanks jupiter for your reply , i have heard
about the magma system , however i am a little sceptic about possible latency problems that might occur with the use of a
pcmcia card for connecting it to laptop ,
have you heard anything about that?
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

There is afaik no technical reason to have latency problems with this setup.As long as the PCI bus keeps up with the load there is no problem. If not you get PCI overflows. I see no reason that there would be more latency.
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Are there any Laptops with real PCI-Slots?
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

yeah, i read about a PC laptop with pci slots (2?) in computer music about 2 years ago. that is all i remember though. . .
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Magma expanders work, the only limitation will be how much data you can push through the PCI bus, we all know Pulsar loves to hog as much PCI as you feed it, so depending on your needs, it may work, or it may not give you enough throughput there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-09-05 10:36 ]</font>