Bitshift Audio drops pc and decides for Mac OS-X and Audio U

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hubird

Post by hubird »

Bitshift Audio is just Art Gillespy, the maker of loop tool Phatmatic Pro (a.o.).
As I know some folks here (like myself) use this software, it makes possible to create slices of a loop which can be triggered by midi in the host sequencer.
It's really a great tool, till now for pc and mac.

Today I saw an announcement of Art Gillespie on his forum, in which he makes public his decision to switch to Mac only, and for new stuff just to Mac OS-X and Audio Unit, as opposed to VST.

Like he announces:
So, pHATmatik PRO 1.1 will be available for all platforms (Audio Unit/VST Win/VST MacOS/VST OS X) at the end of March.

There will be one more siginficant update to pHATmatik PRO, 1.2, likely in Q2/Q3 (The main new feature being Rex/Rx2 import -- HOORAY!), again for all platforms.

After that, only bugfix releases. (Some of you need to learn the difference between a 'bug' and a 'feature you'd really like' :smile: )

I would like to make here a larger (authorized) quote, which is specially relevant here as he obviously is a software programmer.
Check this out:

Quote:

My reasons for this shift in strategy are too many to list here, but here's a summary:

* Supporting Windows is a royal pain in the ass, and the revenue generated by the Windows market is eclipsed by the cost of supporting it.
* In much the same way, and for many of the same reasons, VST is a nightmare to support. There is no host implementation documentation to speak of, and this results in inconsistent behavior across hosts. VST is also hopelessly showing its age... in order to build the next generation of creative tools for musicians, we have to move past the limitations imposed by fixed-window second-class citizen plug-in mentality that pervades the VST api and think of plug-ins as first-class 'cooperative' applications with seamless host integration. Audio Unit provides for this model. VST does not. It's inflexible, feature-starved and the design and lack of host certification process lends itself to buggy plug-ins and hosts... which at the end of the day translates to interrupted creativity for musicians.
* By picking the best platform for music (OS X) and the best, most open, plug-in API (Audio Units), I can spend more time and energy on building and supporting awesome products and less time debugging Visual Studio .NET and the latest 'shot in the dark' at VST host implementation (you really can't blame VST host implementers for this). Given our limited resources (really 'resource' :smile: ), it makes sense to focus them on one technology, resulting in faster times to market, better software and vastly improved support.
* Then there's the intangibles... as BT puts it 'PCs are definitely computers for Republicans'. :grin: I HATE booting windows with a passion. It's ugly, it's stupid, it's slow (not unlike our president) and it offends my aesthetic sensibilities at every opportunity. Don't even get me started on the (remaining) music platforms for Windows. Except for ProTools 6 and Wavelab, it's a wasteland. (It goes without saying that this is my 'humble' opinion -- many people I have mad respect for do all their work in Windows... Deepsky ('In Silico' is my favorite electronic record of 2002 - and Scott's gonna be PISSED when he finds out I've abandoned Windows :wink: )... Burufunk (If you don't know who that is, check him out... guy is amazing and he does everything in ACID)... the list goes on.)

In the end, it comes down to this: the future of Music technology lies with OS X and Audio Units. By focussing on that future, I can bypass the vagaries of supporting inferior platforms and focus on innovation and superior support for *one* platform. The right platform: OS X and Audio Units.

So there you have it.

Art
>>0xBA

End quote.

I found this a remarkable personel but honest and courageous decision, tho not pleasant for Phatmatic-pc owners of course.
greetz.

Bitshift Audio: http://www.bitshiftaudio.com/
forums Phatmatic Pro forum membered): http://ino.iserver.net/phpBB2/index.php

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2003-02-28 20:57 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

i find the politics disturbing when i realize that apple executives travel in the same circles as m$.if audio units are really a better standard,then maybe we'll all have to end up there.or some other newfangled solution'll come.

i just am a hater of intellectual bullying. :grin:
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

Standards...Hmmmmmm
That's a good idea.
Let's have more of them.