What do you do to tackle stress and tension?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Post by Nestor »

What do you do to tackle stress and tension?

I use special birthing exercises that relaxes me completely, and then I’m in form. I call it the Square Breathing, cos you have to breath in four steps:

Fist: You breath in slowly and deep through your nose.

Second: You keep hold of your breath for quite the same amount of time (you keep your lungs full of air I mean)

Third: You leave the air slowly through your mouth, while relaxing your muscles of all tension.

Fourth: You keep empty of air, for the same amount of time you have been full, approximately.

Repeat the process as many times as needed. You MUST start slowly, cos the body has to get accustomed to this new breathing rhythm, after about 15 minutes, you can slow down the rhythm of your Square Breathing exercise, but never force your body in any way. You are going to feel really relaxed, fantastically relax! This gives you energy back, so you can keep going through the day. Do it as many times as needed, it is highly recommended.
petal

Post by petal »

Nestor
Guru Pulsarian

Thanks for the tip......... :wink:
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Well, if you'd have asked me last week I'd have said "light up a cigarette" but I daren't say that now.
My usual de-stresser is to go out on the mountain bike and do some tough off-road hills. I use a heart rate monitor while I'm out so I control my breathing and heart rate similar to the technique you describe Nestor, but not exactly the same.
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

I also do breathing techniques, but slightly different from yours. Make sure your shoulders are relaxed, yet forward and out to give your lungs maximum space (the best way to achieve that is a few basic yoga stretches). Then hold your navel gently in (where your belly button is) and breath slowly in, concentrating on the expansion in your back that this should produce. When full, swallow, then exhale slowly through your lips with a gentle shhhhh, concentrating on the way your belly goes in towards your back.

Relaxing is a wonderful thing, and yoga is a great way to achieve it. I am under quite a lot of stress at the moment - so its pretty necessary too !
astroman

Post by astroman »

Nestor, your method perfectly describes how to get CO2 out of the blood and more oxygen in.
I use it (though with a different rythm) after maximum force passages on the bike like Neil describes it.
On the bike it's the mixture of tension while giving all you have and afterwards relaxing when everything's flowing in the speed around you until the next mountain...
Also a great way to keep your body in shape and stay healthy.
Hmmm if there's nothing coming the wrong way :roll:

cheers, Tom
lifechanger

Post by lifechanger »

Own at least three dogs.
Take them for long forest treks.
and in the mid-afternoon...
Make yourself your first Manhattan on the rocks...Jim Beam Straight Whiskey/Gallo Sweet Vermouth...four cherries...and a dash of bitters.

Pre-Dinner...have your second Manhattan.

Have a light meal...of course, share it with your dawgs.

Create music...don't just talk about it...put in down on de DAW or de Hard Drive...

Finish Evening off with a shot of Brandy.

End the day thanking God for your freedom and pray for others.

Bring up G-Daddy's website http://yuppiemusic.biz
and listen to Norah Jones do
"Nearness Of You"......verrrry relaxing!

Just had my 69th Birthday last Saturday...ordered four fat whores over to help celebrate it with me. We did "deep, wrinkly breathing, blinking eye therapy and Amago.

Then we had a few Manhattans.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

so that's why playing the flute is quite relaxing. Long tones and vibrato parctices are almost the same as what Nestor does.

But in general, when I want to relax, I start practicing an instrument. It's quite an effective use of time, and plus I really enjoy it.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

“To breathe it to be alive”

It really is this way. There are an average of 17.000 litres of blood going through the lungs every 24 hours. The blood needs to be cleaned properly, and oxygenated as well. In the other hand, as Astroman says, we burn carbon dioxide out of our blood and put in some oxygen in, which travels all through the body thanks to the veins.

The problem is that most people breathe short and fast, and we need the contrary: slow and deep breathing to oxygenate the body as well as to detoxify it.

Another problem is the terrible bad, unnatural habit of closing all windows through the entire day… I know winter can be hard, but you should always open your windows for a 10 minutes break so the air is renewed every 4 hours. If you don’t, you are breathing a dirty air, the oxygenation and detoxification your body needs, do not take place.

In humans, the principal diseases of the lungs are tuberculosis, pneumonia, bronchitis, emphysema, and cancer, which are strongly helped by short, superficial breathing, something to ponder about. Well… in any case, one of the few free things in this world still available is air, so lets breath deeper…

The lung may be regarded as a many-chambered elastic bag placed in the airtight thorax and having communication with the exterior only by means of the trachea. Atmospheric pressure acting down the trachea keeps the lung so far stretched that the two pleural layers (which segregate sort of a lubricating liquid for the lung to slip well while we breath) are always in apposition, and together with the heart and great blood-vessels they completely fill the thorax.

The air passes into and through the bronchi, which somewhat resemble the trachea in structure; the air current then continues through the various subdivisions of bronchi, bronchioles, and bronchial tubes.

ALVEOLY:
After a certain stage of subdivision, when the diameter is about 1 mm, the walls of the bronchial tubes develop into blind, cup-shaped pouches termed alveoli, the walls of which consist of a thin membrane of areolar and elastic tissue lined by thin, transparent, flat cells. The cells are about 3.6 mm in diameter, and are said to number upwards of 700,000,000 and to present a very large surface area to the air.

It is from the air in these cells that the blood obtains a fresh supply of oxygen and gives up its carbon dioxide, for between adjacent alveoli there is a layer of thin-walled capillaries, the vessels twisting first to one side and then to the other of the septa between the alveoli.

Perhaps, the less known issue today is that of “energy in the air”. I mean: When we breathe we oxygenate our blood and blow out some carbon dioxide, but what about energy? Do you take in any kind or amount of energy when breathing?

A few years ago this was a weird concept, but it’s no longer a strange concept today. It is known by science that the air is full of energy and on plus, is polarized. I can’t talk about that much cos I don’t know the details, but when you breathe, some amount of energy get stack onto your lung and so, goes into your blood and finally, gets into the whole of your organs and body. This is one of the reasons why to breathe deeply in the countryside, surrounded by pure air gives us energy and well-being.
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

Vodka anyone? my treat! :smile:
Ein elektronisher musikant mit einem taschenrechner im der hand.

Was?

Kraftwerk, dumme.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

I forgot to mention that the best cure for stress and tension is to retire :grin:
The only stress I've had in the last 5 months was being knocked off my mountain bike and having to spend £800 on a replacement. Never mind, I'll have my day in court.
Seriously though you don't realise how much stress and tension you are under while you are working. It isn't until you look back on it that you realise that you could have dealt with it better at the time. The ideal solution therefore is to find time for a release for the stress, whether it be breathing exercises, physical activity or improvising on an instrument or whatever.
The mistake is to dwell on the stress and try to forget about it by working harder and longer. So however you deal with it - ensure that you allocate time to "chill out" every day.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Excelent advice Neil. That makes me think about the theory of "no identification", which is the same.