XTC mode in SONAR

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kperry

Post by kperry »

I've (finally!) worked out how to reliably get XTC mode to work with SONAR (tested with 4.01). There are some caveats (below):

Open the Scope cset.ini file, find the
[XTC-Config] setting and make sure it's set as follows:

[XTC-Config]
AddHost=0

before scanning any XTC VSTs: the default is AddHost=1 (no, I have no idea what
it does, but it doesn't appear to make any difference no matter what it's set to). I've
had them working with both DirectiXer and the Adapter (latest version) now.

Oustanding issues
- If you use XTC plug-ins with a WDM driver (ie. not the Scope ASIO), then using
more than one XTC plug-in in a project causes horrendous audio glitching

- If you use XTC plug-ins with a WDM driver, and use just a single XTC plug-in
in a project, having the latency slider set to anything other than the far left
will cause bad (unusable, but not painful like the above) audio stuttering; no
twiddling with XTC buffer settings can resolve this as far as I can tell

- Don't even think about trying to use the XTC plug-ins in something like Sound
Forge, which is using MME drivers - you'll get nothing apart from audio garbling
(I assume this and the 2 above are all related)

- The XTC synths work (if wrapped as DXi's) but adding/removing any FX in any
track seems to cause SONAR to "lose" the synth - I found that just waggling the
volume in the MIDI track controlling the XTC synth was enough to find it again,
but it makes them essentially unusable (although no great loss in my opinion)

- This may be solely a Creamware/Scope ASIO issue, but SONAR is currently always
reporting 23ms latency on opening, irrespective of what the ASIO latency is set
to, and it needs a trip to the ASIO Panel from the OptionsAudio dialog to cure
garyb

Post by garyb »

asio latency reported in sonar makes NO difference as latency is NOT handled in sonar. xtc mode with mme/wdm drivers doesn't work because it ONLY works with asio by design!
kperry

Post by kperry »

ASIO latency *should* be reported correctly within SONAR even though it's set outside, as it is with every other ASIO driver (try it with ASIO set via SFP for example). It doesn't seem to matter (ie. the correct latency is used) and is just a display problem, but it might confuse people.

As for it not working with WDM, sure, it's designed to work with ASIO, but it might have worked with WDM. Pointing out that it doesn't might save someone else some time trying to get it to work.
garyb

Post by garyb »

hey, no problem. please take no offense. i just was pointing out that everything was working as it should. xtc mode is predicated on an app using asio drivers and until cakewalk gave up on being the only major sequencing app still not using asio, xtc mode didn't work at all. if the scope card was a regular soundcard, of course the latency display would read properly.....
craighuddy

Post by craighuddy »

Nice Job.
I was never able to get it to work right until I did what you said and now it works great. Brilliant problem solving!
Thanks for sharing.

CH
garyb

Post by garyb »

crazy...
i've set up 5 computers with scope and sonar in the last 6 months and all of them work in xtc mode without those kind of tweaks....
mafkaroo

Post by mafkaroo »

OK,
I am using sonar 3.1.1 with scope home platform on a sony vaio desktop but have run into a few problems.
In XTC mode, I use ASIO drivers, I can get playback fine using Scope as VSTS (DXI wrappers), but as soon as I export the audio with fast bounce checkbox off, I still get audio glitching.
In the standard mode using the routing window, I can get playback fine again through the creamware audio, but how do I export the audio again? Do I output the audio using the routing window through asio back into sonar again? Does this not create a sort of sound feedback loop? If so, how do I then export the audio once it comes back into sonar?
Many thanks in advance,
John
wayne

Post by wayne »

Hey John - record to a stereo track or a wave editor or hardware (the old way) - export is not an option in SFP afaik.
Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Hello!
Did anyone use XTC with Sonar 5?
I've tried...
Doesn't work
But with Cubase 3SX works fine.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i don't know why you want to do it, but sure, it works. you need to first enable the plugins with scope closed and xtc mode checked in the settings window of scope...
Johnson

Post by Johnson »

On 2006-03-22 17:30, garyb wrote:
i don't know why you want to do it, but sure, it works. you need to first enable the plugins with scope closed and xtc mode checked in the settings window of scope...
Of course I did it. In Cubase.
Sonar is automatically scanning plugins recognised in path's.
How I can enable plugins manually?
MD69

Post by MD69 »

Hi,

From my memory back to sonar 3.1, you have to launch the VST adapter sofware and set the path to your vst directory. It's it which add scope devices to SONAR

Cheers
Johnson

Post by Johnson »

On 2006-03-24 04:15, MD69 wrote:
Hi,

From my memory back to sonar 3.1, you have to launch the VST adapter sofware and set the path to your vst directory. It's it which add scope devices to SONAR

Cheers
Sonar 5 works directly with VST (without adapter)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Johnson on 2006-03-24 04:19 ]</font>
pranza

Re: XTC mode in SONAR

Post by pranza »

this

[XTC-Config]
AddHost=0

is VERY relevant even today with nowadays DAWs - if you want to speed up XTC vst scanning, that is not to click mouse on every plugin load.
... and then revert back to 1 once it's done. thanks kperry!