NOAH Screen scrambled

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

Re: NOAH Screen scrambled

Post by Bud Weiser »

MrV wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:48 pm Hi Budweiser ,

Noah is set to Windows

I set XP Driver Signing to "Ignore" , set as Default , Rebooted and tried again .

XP finds the Noah . I selected "Install From Removable Media"
I can then see/hear the CDR searching the Noah disc.
But I'm still getting "The wizard cannot find...."
Hmmm, dunno what that is ...
I didn´t install from disc.
Instead, I downloaded all the latest software files needed after I got keys from S|C.
For installation, I had everything in a folder on desktop and pointed on locations/sub-folders containing requested files to install drivers and software v1.1.
That worked perfect after I had set driver signing to "ignore".
I never let windows search for files to find "the best".

When you read my posts about reflashing Noah and driver/software installation, you´ll get the impression this will be a nitemare always,- but it isn´t.
I simply didn´t recognize that "driver signing" issue early enough.
It ruined a Win XP installation on my old 32Bit DAW and drove me nuts.
In fact, I could have done everything in about 1-2 hrs once I had working keys available.

MrV wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:48 pm Should I install the Noah software first and get back to this later instead ?
Don´t understand your question.
Are your drivers installed CORRECTLY or NOT ?
Do you see yellow question marks in device manager or read "driver installed,- but not working" or similar messages when opening related driver properties?

Be sure everything is perfect,- then go to your media and start "setup.exe" for Noah Remote Editor 1.1 manually.

When you´re ready and had synchronized Noah Remote Editor and Noah (EX) for the 1st time, checked registry for keys and devices being installed, let me know please.
I´m interested in if you have the (formerly optional) Prophet 5.dev installed and how it works on your Noah.
I´ll shoot a PM then !

:)

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

MrV wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:59 pm Actually I think it's all working.
The Windows XP installation messages appear to be wrong ...

I have the software installed and controlling the Noah and ADAT out to my Scope system .
Double check if it works bi-directional.
It´s because of having same "content" in Noah flash memory and inside editor (on disk)
Use the "Synchronizer" in NRE and there are the "from Noah" and "to Noah" tabs.

:wink:

Bud
MrV

Post by MrV »

Actually , even though I was sending midi to it and assigning various synths to Noah mixer channels and hearing those back in Scope and playing with various synths controls ...the drivers were still not installed ( ?? ) and I assumed they were because I was controlling the synths from the editor..
( must have been only the USB drivers installed )
Anyway now they are ... I updated the Noah and Wave drivers via Device Manager.

I need to study the manual obviously because I've never used this thing.

What do you mean by "bi-directional" ?
I can't see any From Noah or To Noah tabs in the Synchroniser ??

Also , in the registry there is only the Hardware SN there are no keys displayed. Hmmm that's not good . But the synths are working fine in the Noah and outputting sound . So how is that possible ?

Maybe because Noah is v1 but the new software is v1.1 ?.
valis

Post by valis »

Someone above mentioned 1.1 firmware enabled the full features for the editor, though I haven't scrolled back and am just recalling from following this thread so I may be off a bit. I don't own one of these units to confirm, but if the PSU swap is indeed giving you guys new life I'm happy that this thread is here.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

MrV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:44 am ...the drivers were still not installed ( ?? ) and I assumed they were because I was controlling the synths from the editor..
Anyway now they are ... I updated the Noah and Wave drivers via Device Manager.
O.k.,- congrats to the driver installation !
MrV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:44 am I need to study the manual obviously because I've never used this thing.
I was in the same situation and figuered the most out myself,- which was the reason my reports, when read one after the other, appear like a nitemare.
Reading the manual chapters is essential like it is w/ every other MIDI module multitimbral synth !
MrV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:44 am
What do you mean by "bi-directional" ?
There´s several:

MIDI:
Can be used bi-directional and in any combo of USB-MIDI and physical MIDI.
Noah is a full featured MIDI interface

Audio:
Noah has Audio-Inputs which can be routed in several ways and there´s the usage of ASIO and WAVE drivers.
In fact, Noah is still a full featured audio interface,- although, not on par w/ today´s USB2 audio systems.
And when you own some CPU friendly and good sounding aged WinXP SP3 compatible 32Bit plugins,- you have the option running ´em off the machine the editor runs on and via ASIO thru Noah´s audio outputs.

Both of the above and how good that works rely on propper driver installation and optimized Windows (XP SP2/ SP3).
MrV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:44 am I can't see any From Noah or To Noah tabs in the Synchroniser ??
Sorry for typing from my head when I´m at my office machine ... it´s not in the "Synchronizer
You find on page 7, Noah Remote Editor manual,- "The Control Bar".
The leftmost tab in the editor´s Control Bar allows switching data flow direction "From-" and "To Noah".

In the "Synchronizer", bi-directional is all about uploading or downloading presets to/from Noah.
It´s all explained in the manual.
A quote here:

"The Noah Remote Software does not store its presets directly in the Noah hardware.
Instead, it stores them on your computer's hard drive – or, to be more precise, it stores them as files with
the extension .NPL in the appropriate subfolder of the folder \Noah\Noah\IF.
Thus, the set of presets stored in the hardware may come to be different from the one stored in the software.
With the Synchronizer, however, you can conveniently compare the two sets of presets and eliminate the differences
between them."

In Synchronizer there are additional tabs for IF (internal flash) and CF (compact flash) in addition.
So,- it differenitates between Noah (IF), the Editor (HDD) and Noah CF-Card slot/media.
For standalone operation, the CF card slot is usefull to backup your presets and edits you do using the frontpanel alone.
You DON´T need a computer being urgently connected !
MrV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:44 am Also , in the registry there is only the Hardware SN there are no keys displayed. Hmmm that's not good . But the synths are working fine in the Noah and outputting sound . So how is that possible ?
Ooops ! No idea.
I hope you didn´t wipe the keys accidently.
MrV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:44 am Maybe because Noah is v1 but the new software is v1.1 ?.
There´s the Remote Editor software versions,- v.1.0 and 1.1.
The latter is update from 1.0,- but that´s NOT the NOAH firmware/system software.

When I got my NOAH EX w/o keys because the owner didn´t find, the machine worked too and it looked like this,-
system software version is displayed ...
What does your´s read now ?

Noah EX system version.jpg
Noah EX system version.jpg (80.1 KiB) Viewed 17672 times

But it wasn´t perfect.

So, I gently asked S|C for new keys for my Noah EX hardware serial number, reflashed the toy and installed all new from ground up.
Since then, everything works perfect and there´s Noah´s latest system software loaded.
The one and only device not working perfect is "Prophet 5",- unfortunately.

I still cannot thank Gary and S|C enough for all the help, hosting software and providing new keys for a since a long time discontinued "Creamware times" product !

When I´m upstairs and have the time, I´l power up my NoahEX, make a pic of the displayed latest system software number and upload here.

Bud
MrV

Post by MrV »

Thanks Budweiser.

Yes the From and To are in the Control Bar next to the Single / Multi box .

There are no more yellow warnings in the XP device manager , so all drivers are in now .

The usb "light" is on in the editor but not on the Noah (.? )

Pretty sure I haven't wiped any device keys but it's weird how they are not showing in the registry. Seller sent me all the keys anyway in case I need them ...but all the devices load correctly in editor , 4 separate synths across 4 mixer channels in multi mode etc .

I notice they mention USB Audio....but this is only USBv1 right ?
pretty low bandwidth I would have thought ....

Here's a pic of showing the Noah firmware version

Cheers , Michael
Attachments
IMG_20240205_005842_MP.jpg
IMG_20240205_005842_MP.jpg (4.09 MiB) Viewed 17669 times
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

MrV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:01 am ...
I notice they mention USB Audio....but this is only USBv1 right ?
USB 1.1
MrV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:01 am pretty low bandwidth I would have thought ...
yeah, but when you need just only 2 channels of audio out, it should work 44.1K / 16Bit and w/ 256 samples buffer size.

The "old" Sonic Projects OP-X is very humble on CPU and a good addition since there´s no "oberheimish" device for Noah (and SCOPE).

On more advanced DAWs, I used OP-X Pro, Pro - II and nowadays the latest OP-X Pro-3,- but the 1st version sounded good already.
Layer w/ some Noah synth for pads and it sounds great.
MrV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:01 am Here's a pic of showing the Noah firmware version
that´s the latest which I have too.

Noah´s USB-LED should be lit only when there´s the USB connection between host computer and Noah.
It doesn´t indicate MIDI ...
Might be dead,- or any other defect.

Bud
MrV

Post by MrV »

Ah ok , thnx Bud :)

I'll check out the USB Audio option.

So the empty registry box is fine anyway or should all device keys be showing?

Cheers , Michael
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

MrV wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:12 pm
So the empty registry box is fine anyway or should all device keys be showing?
I´ll power up my rig when I´m back home and doublecheck before typing something misleading from my head here.

What do you have installed up to now ?
In my keyfile I have keys for:

# Noah Editor
# Synthesizer Package 2
# Minimax
# Six-String
# proTone
# B-2003
# Vocodizer
# Interpole
# Prodyssey
# Pro-12/Profit 5

Bud
MrV

Post by MrV »

Hi Bud ,

Noah has keys for

EDS8i
Prodyssey
Interpole
Minimax
Protone
Synthesizer Extension
Vocodiser
Sux String

In my Editor Live Bar
I can see and load

Lightwave
B-2003
Vectron
Pro One

Mixer
MIDI Manager
Aux FX
StepSEQ
Arpeggiator

Module Registry shows Installed Hardware as Noah ( with its key )
But the devices box is completely empty, no devices showing.

Not sure I understand what's going on with this because it all seems to be working fine .... ??

I bought an old Toshiba XP SP3 laptop to run the Editor and currently using that .

By the way.
My main Scope system has 3x Scope Pro cards in an i7 Win 10 system . Could I put a virtual XP system in that instead and run the Editor that way ?

Michael
garyb

Post by garyb »

a virtual machine may work, but it will not work 100%.
MrV

Post by MrV »

Ok thnx Gary .
Well the old XP laptop seems to.be working fine , except for the missing registry keys ...not sure what bearing that's having ,if any.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Sorry for being late,-

my Noah´s registry shows the Noah hardware serial number as well as all the keys !

I wonder what your "Synthesizer Extension" key is.

So, my keys (see above) look a bit different than yours, but I installed everything available for Noah and use Vectron (not only the player), EDSi and Lightwave too.
I guess these are covered by the "synthesizer package 2" key in my list above.

I also didn´t run into memory issues when I installed everything available incl. all the preset banks.
There´s still some memory left over.
I remember I had such case and lost a preset bank, but removing and re-installing a device w/ it´s banks solved the issue.

Surprisingly, the USB LED doesn´t do anything on my Noah too,- at least not, when I set the live bar setting to "to Noah", open a synth´s GUI in editor and move a control,- p. ex. master volume or OSC volume, filter cutoff or such.
I tried w/ Prophet 5 which urgently needs the editor application for synth parameter edits.

I didn´t pay attention to the USB LED before,- also because everything works.
I´ll investigate when it will indicate something and report back.

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrV

Post by MrV »

Thanks for that info Bud ,much appreciated.

Michael