Working on a delay with auto pitch

General discussion for SpaceF Devices

Moderators: valis, spacef

spacef

Working on a delay with auto pitch

Post by spacef »

Do we have something like this already on the Scope plateform ?

Could not resist posting a WIP audio file.
>>>> https://soundcloud.com/user-442800355/d ... by-3-tests

It is yet another delay I am working on.

There is no modulator controlling the pitch, it is the delay-time, feedback, and all that control volume.... in addition to manual controls if desired (audio file begins as automatic, and the second half is me using the Pitch tuning manually).

let me know if you like what you hear. I may limit the pitch range so it does not go as high as heard at 00:31 s ...

It is far from being done, and will be available standalone (not part of any pack) and probably at a cool price for launch..
anyway, happy to hear whether youy like what you hear.

PS: only stock scope atoms, no secret module used ... just my Nth attempt at making this, it just took a long time and many tests before getting to a sound that is quite convincing (to me at least ) ... takes a bit more DSP than my other delays, and of course you can put the pitch modulation off...
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
t_tangent

Re: Working on a delay with auto pitch

Post by t_tangent »

Sounds very interesting and something Scope doesn’t yet have as far as I recall. Will keep a look out for this when it’s available. Thanks :)
LunaMan

Post by LunaMan »

Sounds cool. I'm using AMS DMX 15‑80 S for this substituted on some 80's tracks on which I used a Melos Tape Echo Chamber with the 'Time' knob for similar fx. On Scope, closest might be the dNa Tape Echo as it has the requisite Speed knob.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Thanks Luna Man !

Here it will not vary speed, only pitch (delay time stays the same). It is based more on technics used for "shimmer" reverbs than simulations of tape echoes. So it does not really compete with existing VST/DSP effects that have varispeed functions...

and it works only with very high feedback settings (like 95-100% of the feedback, otherwise, the pitch is not high enough (levels) to be heard.

After using it on a track of mine, the function seems more impressive if you build at rack around it, and a bit more difficult to add to an existing track. Depending on the frequencies of the said track, the pitch can show artefacts that become more apparent, are annoying, eventhough they sound ok on the delay alone.

So now I don't think it can be considered as the main interest of the delay, more like a "bonus" that can be helpful from time to time with the possibility that it does not sound ok. I thought, I would remove it, but at the same time, it is interesting, so it will stay on the delay. I will have to find a way to show, on the surface design, that it is not the main feature. There are more interesting/easier features (like automated VCAs on the inputs - something that you can already experiment with any delay with the free VCAs that are available on the device section of this forum ;-) , if you have the patience to create a midi track to trigger the envelope and don't mind extra modules in your project window )
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Otcopus77

Post by Otcopus77 »

Excellent unique sound effect !
spacef

Post by spacef »

plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website