Anyone into Minimosta 2? Look at this price right now

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Anyone into Minimosta 2? Look at this price right now

Post by Nestor »

Hi guys

It seems to be one of the very best emulations ever, or even the best of them all, this is what many musicians say. It sounds great in the demos and reviews. Anyone into it yet? Do you own it?

Look at this price, it is pretty good, go to the bottom of the page, (don't worry Tom, :oops: I will never make the same mistake of posting a wrong link ever again, you can trust):

https://www.gforcesoftware.com/products ... 0Ex.%20VAT
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Bud Weiser

Re: Anyone into Minimosta 2? Look at this price right now

Post by Bud Weiser »

I don´t need it.
Minimax and Cherry Audio Miniverse are very good Minimoog emulations IMO,- and I own a real vintage Minimoog D too.
Even NI Monarch does it for me in a native DAW environment,- just only program the presets you need yourself.

There´s no need owning almost every synth ever made when you learn programming a few.
It´s all about if the patch fits the tune/song and the lines you play make sense or not.

:)

Bud
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Bud Weiser wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:56 am There´s no need owning almost every synth ever made when you learn programming a few.
Very wise answer brother. I am not the best at it, I have to say. I love Minimax BTW.
valis

Post by valis »

There was a time when learning a new piece of hardware (years ago) was enough to keep my creative juices flowing. In fact I quite enjoyed all that was needed to learn new hardware and workflows. Eventually we grow to where this is largely redundant, and new tools are only needed where there's a glaring hole (or a shiny object to fit into that hole) in our workflows.

If new tools are inspirational to you, then I do hope you get all you can out of them. Thanks for sharing.
astroman

Post by astroman »

I‘ve drastically reduced the number of synths in use... and though Model D sounds great, it never became a favorite.
(maybe because I lack the chops to play it properly) :oops:

So in Scope it‘s Python and Solaris by John Bowen, Gemini PD, OP8, SparC by Wavelength and Synthetic by SpaceF.
Occasionally Vectron by SC.
That‘s a tremendous range of sounds and both Python and Gemini aren‘t even half explored by me yet.

I‘ve recently been tempted by Wolfram Franke‘s Biotek (because I love his Stroke Machine Drum Synth on iPad), but it was simply way too much modulation going on. Not my cup of tea (anymore).
No need to excuse, Nestor. I‘m not afraid of links... it only puzzled me because you had that malware trouble so short before this. ;)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

It is curios, but the more we go in time the more I love synths in general. But, as you say Tom, I too have cut with very many of them because I want to have what I really most like and use only. But Zenology and Minimosta 2 do tempt me much! :P It is so easy today to have a few synths for just a couple of dollar it is insane, that's the problem... :) , but, as Bud says, it is a good idea to become a preset maker rather than a preset buyer (which is what I understood), but I also go the way of Valis that, if you are crazy about one of them, well ok, go get it.

Yeah, :) I posted the troubled link by mistake Tom, I searched for the official site and believed I had found it but not, so I pasted the link without watching it, a mistake you have no to make.

You guys can afford to have "hardware" at home but my life is traveling all around the world so it is a problem to have too much hardware. I am very tired now of loosing things, braking them, or have to sell them for cheap, so I keep what I will use in place, except for the "virtual" stuff.

BTW, today I wrote a congratulation letter to Nektar Tech, the LX 49+ is something sweet really, I'm very happy with it after about a month of use. Cheers
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Nestor wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:58 am
Very wise answer brother. I am not the best at it, I have to say. I love Minimax BTW.
you learn by doing when using hardware w/ all of it´s limitations.

I repeat myself when sayin´ all of the recordings I was working on in the 70s,80s and 90s required the standard keyboard instruments like grand piano, hammond tonewheel organ, EPs like wurly, clav, rhodes, yammi cp70/80,- but not all simultaneously,- and some synths.
Todays technology wasn´t available, digital recording and plugins were in their childshoes in the 80s,- so it was luck some of the real deal instruments were ready for playing/recording in the studios, but not every studio had the full palette on offer.
There were restrictions you had to deal with always.
I brought synths into the studios,- a couple of analogues which offered significantly DIFFERENT features like different filters and/or different synthesis methods.
Monophonic MOOG- Minimoog D and Taurus basspedals, polyphonic Sequential Circuits Prophet5, Oberheim OB-8 (Xpander later), FM like DX7 models and TX816 or TG77, a wavetable synth like PPG or KORG Wavestation model later and a sampler (typically akai s- series or EMU) and sometimes a drum machine too.
That was it,- and I think such rig in software would be still enough for every well composed and arranged piece of electronic music today too.
We ALL have OVERKILL (software-) gear incl. soundware available already and it didn´t make the music better!
In fact, I listen to really bad music all the time when I turn on the radio or listen to Youtube.

Sequencers and big editors, what the common DAW applications are, aren´t the key for quality music and several thousands of presets of big synth bundles like Arturia Collections etc. aren´t too.
I own a lot of software bundles I bought because of interest,- just only to find out if these products are able to replace my hardware gear or not,- and it was really disappointing.
I´m already bored by the ~500 prestes each single synth plugin delivers.
I might find 5 out of 500 presets being usable for me.

So,- it´s really better investing the time learning to program a SINGLE quality piece of synthesizer,- may it be hardware or software.

You know, there came the day when I sold both my SC Preophet-5 synths because of reliability issues,- and when I listened to S|C Profit-5, I recognized it´s the replacement because when listening to the filter slope w/ some resonance, you know why.

I only found ONE native plugin offering the same quality,- Uhe Repro.
Very good sounding, but CPU hungry.
TAL JP-8 is also a excellent native synth,- but also CPU hungry.

I´m always impressed by Memorymoog´s Messiah v2.x and ME80 v2.x plugins.
These are very cheap, like the Cherry Audio ones,- offer great sound and don´t use much CPU.
I passed a lot of Cherry Audio plugins because I don´t need,- but the ones I own, all work and sound great too.
Nonetheless, these work native.

When I use SCOPE devices w/ SCOPE standalone, it´s like a hardware module offering a lot of stuff w/ almost no latency.
With native software, I always miss punch and fast attack times.

YMMV

:)

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Ultra interesting Bud

you said: "We ALL have OVERKILL (software-) gear incl. soundware available already and it didn´t make the music better!
In fact, I listen to really bad music all the time when I turn on the radio or listen to YouTube."

So true..., most music today it's so clinic, so robotic, people play very little piano, guitar, bass, drum, trumpet or whatever instrument you could mention, software tends to give you patterns, rhythms, ideas, chords, everything already done. I don't like this concept, except if you are learning, that could be handy, but composing? No. What kind of inspiration is this? And now the AI apps that compose music for you it's the last straw, and people seem to like them.

I would go as far as saying that about 95% of the music produced right now is pretty boring, quite artificial, or even definitely empty. It's true, we never had SUCH a creative power into our hands like today, but we are loosing our heart.