Roland Zenology 2

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Roland Zenology 2

Post by Nestor »

Amazing! I did not pay attention to this one till now, sorry about that. I am thrilled at what it is capable of doing, the interface, THE PRESETS OFFERED (wow, beyond most and clearly, from the hands of real synth experts to the least detail), the impeccable organization of the tool and its parts, the LFOs everywhere to create anything, the sound quality (wow, wow, wow), I give it a 100 over 100. This is, to my perception and personal taste, one of the very best VSTi ever created in every aspect. This is probably a perfect synth to look after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5pBmPZsmXQ
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
dante

Re: Roland Zenology 2

Post by dante »

Is it better than OmniSphere ?
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

dante wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:00 pm Is it better than OmniSphere ?
No, not at all! Omnisphere holds a place on its own that is kind of unreachable by any other VSTi created so far, I really believe it, Omnisphere is a classic without pair. Within Omnisphere you can also reach Keyscape and Trillian and apply all the synths powers of Omnisphere to those patches, so it is a very special and giant construction you have there, with its own particular sound and ways.

But Zenology 2 it is quite a different giant I would say, I don't even feel like comparing them to each other, so different I feel they are. I would not say you have to get one or the other, you need both :lol:

The most important point for me is the "sound" it generates, the kind of "timbers" achievable are entirely of my taste, the amazing FXs too, they sound fantastic. I guess I love their algorithms, this is probably the answer, I don't know, but it sounds different to most common VSTi to me. I love the Arturia synths in general they are great, but the sound difference and quality it is pretty huge. I love Spire too, for instance, very versatile synth, but the character of the sound is very different and not totally of my taste, I would prefer Zenology by far in that case, against Spire.

Yes, we could build similar patches like those in Zenology for sure with many of these synths in the market, but the difference it is in the nails, in the bite, in the character, I don't know how to say it. This special great quality..., well..., the only comparable synths I could mention against, with such a silky and delicious sound character are the U-He products, like Diva and Zebra. Or, you have to think about "hardware", not software.

Zenology has it! There is a unique "character" to the sound that it is special, warm, artistic, and inspires me immediately. I don't get such a joy with most VSTi out there, they sound pretty much the same to me, very much the same. This is not the case with Zenology. I guess Zenology sounds more like a hardware synth? I guess so.

Then, "the order" in which they have set it all it is impeccable, the preset browser for instance, great job! If you don't want to see the whole instrument you can get it to a size as small as a Pulsar FX in Scope. The simplicity of colors, clear shapes, very readable instructions, resizable to any size you want are great and THE SOUND, it has it all, I love it.

This is my next toy, I want to have it, hopefully, soon :)

BTW, I've tried MassiveX, from NI once, no way..., it didn't matter what I created with it I would not like, it has such a strong character, but not of my like. I mean, I could build my own patches and go with it, but..., even if I built something I thought it would do it, I didn't like.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow, there are people saying that it is "old fashion", well..., don't know, I love it. Reviews say the GUI is rather old too... :-? Well, just like me :wink: Just read Omnisphere could do better the same things, well, there I don't agree the sound is different.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Lifetime licences are crazy expensive, what this people are thinking about? What? Zenology is VERY expensive! Or you have to get a monthly or yearly subscription... mmmm, not me, don't like this mind set.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Nestor wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:37 pm Lifetime licences are crazy expensive, what this people are thinking about? What? Zenology is VERY expensive! Or you have to get a monthly or yearly subscription... mmmm, not me, don't like this mind set.
Simply avoid everything being "cloud" based !!!
It´s the software manufacturers wet dream getting money from you every month, every year ... ´til you die.

It´s sad Roland went in this direction and they lost me as a customer already when they decided for not selling replacement parts for hardware devices to end users anymore.

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Agreed. I don’t have any plugins or daw on ‘subscription’.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:10 pm Simply avoid everything being "cloud" based !!!
Absolutely, none!
Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:10 pm It´s sad Roland went in this direction and they lost me as a customer already when they decided for not selling replacement parts for hardware devices to end users anymore.
Sad. This is the strange phenomenon that happen when you get extremely rich, and it happens over an dover again, just now that you have spare money to burn, now..., is when you want MORE, it makes no sense to me.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

dante wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:09 pm Agreed. I don’t have any plugins or daw on ‘subscription’.
Yes, we better stay away from them.
I was crazy about Zenology 2, but not this way.
valis

Post by valis »

The software JD800 interests me, but like you guys I would prefer ownership to rent.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Even the Perpetual-License of Roland software needs to be periodically re-activated as that Cloud has to be logged into occassionally. I wanted the Sh-101 when it was first released since i love the sound of the hardware version but the Cloud Subscription turned me off. I believe we have a hand in creating the Market and the more Subscriptions we buy the more we'll get! Your owned belongings is your wealth, no ownership and you are owned!

Zenology looks deep but Roland's software still sounds thin and not as good as their hardware. My Roland Keytar sounds better than any plugin they released in Native-world. When it comes to Native synths that compliment the juggernaught SCOPE synths Reason, Tone2 Icarus, Cherry Audio are more than enough and deep enough for my needs. Tone2 has a unique and complimentary sound with SCOPE.

Zenology is interesting but there is no way for me to justify tolerating their Cloud when there is so many great alternatives some of wich sound better and cover more instrument types. Roland has always been a Titan in the hardware world but ITB is a different story.
valis

Post by valis »

There's also a mini-hardware version of the JD800 now. I debated getting that as well and comparing to my unit, and/or trying the new Roland SH4D tabletop synth to see how that compares. My JD is still in great shape, but it never had the keybed replaced and if I could get the same sound elsewhere it also fetches a very high price now. I do wonder if the strings card waveforms are implemented in either the software or mini hardware version, that's where my favorite sounds are made.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I will be posting about another synth which is pretty great, here in the Off Topic.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

When i criticized this product i did not know that i had already bought into it to some degree. My AX-EDGE Keytar is compatible with Roland's Zen Core Platform. In fact it was their first Hardware Synth compatible with the Zen Core Platform. So Zen Core will expand my Keytar synth with other synth engines and their presets, such as Sh-101 and Juno 106, etc. I guess it is'nt all that bad after all :D ..

I do think Zen Core for the hardware-Plug-Outs makes more sense than the Plugin counterpart Zenology for me due to all the fierce competition ITB. ITB i prefer SCOPE Synths soundwise and the sophistication of the few Native synths i have, but i think i automatically get Zenology plugins when i expand my Hardware with Zen Core. I still think their SH-101 Synth sounds pretty good but was'nt worth jumping threw hoops for before since there is better options ITB but it certainly makes since getting it now as a plugin and plugout once i do the hardware expansion.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Roland just released a new Super-instrument that's more powerfull than Zenology called GALAXIAS . GALAXIAS allows you to insert into it Zenology and EVERYTHING on Roland Cloud can be inserted into it and combinrd and layered with their own Arps, Effects, Etc. I guess it's sort of like Reason's Combinator and is certainly one of the better Workstation Plugins when it becomes VST compatible, right now it is only Stand-Alone. I think Reason is king at Workstations and there are many supersynths such as Falcon, Zebra, Omnisphere, and Icarus. GALAXIAS and Zenology have their advantages such as Rolands nice drum-machines (808,909, etc), they have hardware counterparts wich allows you to keep virtually similar workflow and sound and presets from one platform to another, they truly have multiple personalities as many of the synths they insert sound vastly different while most of the supersynths have the same sonic personality tp me no matter how you tweak them. I like Reason's Creative-Physical-Modelled Synths - Objekt and Friktion and feel they aid in making it very powerfull. They all have advantages i suppose.

GALAXIAS- https://gearspace.com/board/new-product ... axias.html
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Thank you my friend, I'll check it out, cheers :)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I think it is kind of Arturia Analog Lab 5
valis

Post by valis »

If I could get my JD-800's sound (including the strings card expansion waveforms) in a plugin, I'd be overjoyed.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

valis wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:15 am If I could get my JD-800's sound (including the strings card expansion waveforms) in a plugin, I'd be overjoyed.
Well, you have this one, but I don't know if you like it:

https://www.roland.com/global/products/rc_jd-800/
valis

Post by valis »

Yes I saw that, as well as the ZEN-Core/ZENOLOGY expansion. No Strings card (SL-JD80-04) expansion for either of these as far as I'm aware (everything lists original 108 waveforms which matches what the unit has with no expansions. Strings ensemble are rather special...