Stripped-down Windows 11 version runs on as little as 2GB of RAM

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

astroman

Re: Stripped-down Windows 11 version runs on as little as 2GB of RAM

Post by astroman »

Tbh recently I was quite surprised how great some „vintage“ Akai sample CDs sounded.
A lot of that stuff floats abandoned on the internet.
I downloaded some ISO images out of curiosity and to try out the CD drive of my MPC4k... with the funny side effect that it triggered my interest in Scope’s STS samplers, which I basically ignored all those years.

There certainly is a (sometimes strange) vintage hype, but some devices are true gems in sound, some have a very unique character. Why emulate if the original is affordable ?
(ok, some prices are just ridiculous, but that doesn‘t apply to all of them, and some patience applies...) :D

Atm my Scope Win7 system runs great and I won‘t add/modify any Windoze stuff.
I have a good indicator in the old Paul Tanti (EarlyFirst) PT2016 reverb that I like so much. For unknown reasons this easily glitched when something was (seemed to be) wrong, but hasn‘t yet during a full week.

My attitude is similar to yours, Nestor. The system is supposed to be a musical transmission tool... and I have the strong suspicion this is most easy with stuff that isn‘t updated anymore. It‘s fixed. Rock solid...
except the usual couple of flaws that may hit now and then. :D
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

„vintage“ Akai sample CDs sounded
So true..., even those verrrrrrryyyy old CDs that came with Pulsar 1.1 had some truly nice sounds, among them, a very good sampled bass, round robins just about two perhaps, or three at max, but it sounds GREAT, that's right.

Cremware, (in those days), made a great effort with their sample players and the so, we can still use them, why not.
Paul Tanti (EarlyFirst) PT2016 reverb that I like so much
I had this reverb and a few others from him, they are among the fullest sounding verbs ever, beautiful, so right :)

Read this please Tom, it is very interesting:

https://gearspace.com/board/electronic- ... drums.html
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

astroman wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:11 pm Tbh recently I was quite surprised how great some „vintage“ Akai sample CDs sounded.
A lot of that stuff floats abandoned on the internet.
I downloaded some ISO images out of curiosity and to try out the CD drive of my MPC4k... with the funny side effect that it triggered my interest in Scope’s STS samplers, which I basically ignored all those years.
This is why I want the STS sampler to be alive for the future.
The AKAI and EMU libraries sound really good and have small footprint on your drive.
To get original sound, use the AKAI hardware and/or STS samplers.
Up to now, I don´t know how good (or bad) EMU sounds when converted to SF2,- so I still use a EMU E64.
astroman wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:11 pm Atm my Scope Win7 system runs great and I won‘t add/modify any Windoze stuff.
Using several machines, Win XP SP3, Win7 32Bit and 64Bit as also Win10,- I always try to have 1 machine up to date and run the others for the older stuff.
I also ue old Macs for ancient software like Logic 4.8 and 6.4 and Sounddiver 3.x.
Also ATARIs for Notator SL and C-Lab/Emagic hardware on occasion.

:)

Bud
astroman

Post by astroman »

I once had the EMU Proteus 2 (Orchestral, 19“ unit) and the same content in SF2 format.
The latter loaded into STS was a total disappointment, it loaded just the samples and skipped all programming.
Even the humble 4MB rack unit clearly outperformed it. Your E64 still makes sense 8)

Sounddiver 2.x (in MacOS9) is a true life saver here: handles Casio CZ1000, FZ8M, Yamaha TX7, Kawai XD5, Roland SRV2000, Yamaha SPX90 and can even be extended with custom sysex scripts.
Any „modern“ replacements for sysex handling either failed or were unreliable. The oldie is a sophisticated beast.
(there are specific alternatives for the CZ and TX7 which are great, though)
Btw the original Sounddiver module for the XD5 has an error, but can be altered to make it work again.
That degree of customization is probably it‘s greatest strength.

ps: I also have a Win7/64 box and a MacMini M1 for current stuff...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

astroman wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:42 am I once had the EMU Proteus 2 (Orchestral, 19“ unit) and the same content in SF2 format.
The latter loaded into STS was a total disappointment, it loaded just the samples and skipped all programming.
Even the humble 4MB rack unit clearly outperformed it.
It was almost the same w/ Steini´s Halion 2 and NI Kontakt.
AKAI is easier, needs less editing,- but still doesn´t sound like the hardware.
EMU was the worst,- regardless of using CD-Xtract,- the best conversion software in WinXP times IMO.
astroman wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:42 am Your E64 still makes sense 8)
You´re right, I fear.
astroman wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:42 am Sounddiver 2.x (in MacOS9) is a true life saver here: handles Casio CZ1000, FZ8M, Yamaha TX7, Kawai XD5, Roland SRV2000, Yamaha SPX90 and can even be extended with custom sysex scripts.
Any „modern“ replacements for sysex handling either failed or were unreliable. The oldie is a sophisticated beast.
(there are specific alternatives for the CZ and TX7 which are great, though)
Btw the original Sounddiver module for the XD5 has an error, but can be altered to make it work again.
That degree of customization is probably it‘s greatest strength.
Sounddiver 3.x running in MacOS 9.22 here and on several Macs,- G3, Powerbook G3 and G4, Powerbook G4.
Each of the G4s use 2 drives, one w/ OS9.22 and the other w/ OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.

I think I have everything what was available for Sounddiver ever.
When you need files,- let me know/ PM me.
astroman wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:42 am ps: I also have a Win7/64 box and a MacMini M1 for current stuff...
What´s running on your MacMini M1 ?
What´s the Mini´s specs ?

Bud
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Nestor wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:20 pm It is true Bud, Kontakt, for instance, it's a problem now, I'm stack at version 6.6.1, the last compatible version for Win 7, many new libraries will no longer be compatible for me. Nevertheless, I use some very old software and some VERY old libraries that sound great , and there you are. I have, literally, millions of possible combinations. It is such a richness of sonic realms and possibilities that I could spend years and years experimenting and creating new presets. I don't feel I need more that that right now.
All hardware and software gear we own is overkill already.
I really hate the many presets !
And we have more than enough samples too.
Nestor wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:20 pm What is the difference you get from, let's say, Arturia V collection 8 vs 9?
Well, I didn´t buy the collections, but I try ´em sometimes.
I was never a big fan of Arturia photo realistic and not autrhentic sounding vintage emulations.
But when I tried the Oberheim Matrix 12 and OBXa emulations in v9, I recognized they sounded really good.
Unfortunately, they now needed significantly more CPU power too,- comparable to Uhe Repro and TAL JP-8.
So, when the demand is quality sound,- you need powerfull modern computers.
Nonetheless, I won´t buy the Arturia M12V, which is the only one I´d like to see working the way I want,- just only because I own a "real deal" vintage US made Oberheim Xpander.
The Arturia M12V doesn´t load sysex .... how stupid is that (?).
So no use for me.
In my age, I don´t have the time anymore to re-create the hardware presets inside a softsynth environment and for every single piece of software,- application or plugin.
It´s too time consuming.
Nestor wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:20 pm ...because, we want to buy... Yeah, that happens all the time.
Not here.
Nestor wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:20 pm ..., we love "having".
no longer !
Nestor wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:20 pm Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that many new plugins are "cosmetically different", smarter in workflow sometimes, but they seem to do exactly the same you have always done in this o that way.
QFT !
And it´s absolutely right we don´t need much to be creative, which was very obvious when I used hardware only because software didn´t exist at all.
For studio sessions, all had to fit into my Ford Granada Turnier v6.
5 keyboards (Fender Rhodes, Clav D6, Minimoog, Prophet 5, OB-8) Fender amp-head, 2 small 2x10" Fender cabs and an accessories case,- that was it.

Yes, I still own a lot of gear and it was still more in the past,- but it didn´t exist from day one, you know.
I never bought because I collected,- instead it made my livin´and payed for itself for several times in addition.
And then,- it´s there,- until you sell it.
But selling gear is a lot of work, I´m old and lazy and I have to pay taxes on the sales while the time investment for advertising, answering all the emails, organizing shipping boxes, packing and s##t isn´t worth the money I´ll have left over in the end.
I sold a lot already during past 2 decades, so I know the hassle.

I think "efficient and profitable" and don´t have collections in mind,- I never had.

Bud
astroman

Post by astroman »

The Mini M1 is just the entry model from 2020, 8GB, 245GB SSD.
I use Apple‘s AU Lab as a plugin host for Zynaptiq (UnVeil, UnFilter, UnMix Drums, Morph, PitchMap), Polyverse (Manipulator, Supermodal), Valhalla (VintageVerb, Plate), Virtual CZ.
Tried Logic Pro (no joy), Bitwig, best audio editing experience so far by DSP-Quattro

Personal top score is Crossover 21.2 (essentially WINE with a GUI), runs SAW Studio and my favorite development system identical to an i5 3Ghz, no graphic flaws as in earlier releases.

Thanks for the SD offer, saving me a deeper search :) ... has there ever been a Rocktron Intellifex adaption ?

cheers, Tom
valis

Post by valis »

The final version of sound diver was released for free if I remember correctly
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

By the way, I will definitely give a go to Bitwig too, it deserves some respect, at least.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:17 pm The final version of sound diver was released for free if I remember correctly
There was no "final" version and it became never an official freeware release.
The last version before Emagic was sold to Apple was a beta version for Mac OS X,- which never worked as it should.
The last version existing for MacOS and Windows XP is v3.0.5 ...

No Rocktron adaptions included.

All versions not needing the installation floppy disk occasionally are in fact cr##ks,- but no one cares since Apple abandoned developement, support and sales.
Also legal users use the version w/ the generic "authorisation file" making the already worn out floppies obsolete.

There´s a v3.0.4.5 for Windows being confirmed to work w/ Win10x64.
https://archive.org/details/emagicsounddiver3.0.5.4

I didn´t try and dunno if all the adaptions existing are included.
I´ll work w/ the Mac OS9 v3.0.5 version as long as my old Macs run and until I´ve sold all my hardware somewhere in future.

Bud
astroman

Post by astroman »

Thanks Bud, that confirms my quick search for Intellifex Sounddiver. No big deal, though... at least I could start my own adaption (... one day) :D
The reverb section of the Intellifex is rather close in character to the PT reverbs. The more sophisticated Intelliverb probably even closer, but these go for steeper prices (if they ever show up).

I have an original 2.x Sounddiver CD which occasionally gets requested. Version 3.0.5 is also installed, but (for me) there‘s no fundamental difference in the bread and butter functions.
btw https://archive.org/details/samplecds was my source for sample fodder.

Yesterday I did a quick mapping with STS5000. The Akai format lost a lot of it‘s (perceived) inconvenience, since I have the MPC and I must admit the filters even surprised me in the most positive way. 8)