Rackmode by Cherry

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Rackmode by Cherry

Post by dante »

Cherry Audio are good value - and if you're a fan of classic gear gui's heres a new collection on special.

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/r ... processors

Looks like a lotta fun.
Bud Weiser

Re: Rackmode by Cherry

Post by Bud Weiser »

These were released some time ago and are now on a discount.
When they were released, I wondered if I want or need, but I didn´t use the original hardware in the past, dunno how it sounded and never missed.
I sometimes used vocoders, Roland SVC-350 rackmount https://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/vocoder.php and some software, SCOPE devices included, but not much.
Software phasors, graphic- and parametric EQs are out there in masses and some really good ones for free.
P.ex. the FBM Frequency Shifter https://www.fullbucket.de/music/freqshifter.html IS the Bode device known from MOOG Modulars,- and is a/ the ring modulator and frequency shifter in one device.
In fact, these modules were the most interesting for me and from that bundle.
Leaves the String Filter ...
But do we need in times where we got high quality string emulations as samples and/or devices like Sixstring or similar VST/AU toys using Karplus Strong etc.?

OTOH,- 39 bucks isn´t much and these toys look tempting at least.
But I always ask myself if it´s worth the investment and learning the devices or if they will be just only photo realistic files cluttering my drive w/o much of use.

B.t.w., I use many of the C.A. synths incl. Polymode https://cherryaudio.com/products/polymode-synthesizer ...
It offers "resonators" which IMO is a derivate from String Filter w/ less bands.
I only bought because I was interested in how a Polymoog worked, same w/ Quadra.
As interesting it is, you also learn how limited the old hardware really was and the so called "magic" seems to be a lot of hype too.
This even they improved the software versions over the hardware already.

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

For pitch shift, I use AMS DMX which seems interesting and predates the SPX90 (I owned a real one) by 7 years.

Yeah I'm wondering if I have the Cherry CS80 do I really need GX80 as well ? Sounds like better get Polymode instead to keep up with the Bud's of this world :) I've been doing some ripper synth basslines with 8-Voice - its easily my best synth purchase of '22.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

CA make great plugins and they are cheap.
My favorites are Elka-X and Mercury-4
Rackmode fx are fun but not a must have.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:51 pm For pitch shift, I use AMS DMX which seems interesting and predates the SPX90 (I owned a real one) by 7 years.

Yeah I'm wondering if I have the Cherry CS80 do I really need GX80 as well ? Sounds like better get Polymode instead to keep up with the Bud's of this world :) I've been doing some ripper synth basslines with 8-Voice - its easily my best synth purchase of '22.
Sorry, I typed a longer reply but got logged out when clicking "preview" before I was able to send.
I´m pi##ed now!

For month it didn´t happen, but now it´s back here.
What is that crap ???

I´m not willing to type all this again.

F##k !

Anyway .. I´m unsure about your need of Polymode because it´s paraphonic, like Quadra polysection is.
Don´t expect too much from.
It´s a good emulation of something which was already limited in hardware.

GX-80 needs too much CPU because of dual-CS80 and GX-1 modes,- ME80 is a single CS80 and sounds authentic.
I keep and passed GX-80 after using the demo for weeks.
ME80 was the 1st offering "channel AT to last note".
It´s copied in GX-80.

:)

Bud
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

These guys from Cherry Audio are about the best in modern days, absolutely delightful instruments. Look, this is the original, it's so cool to see:

*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
dante

Post by dante »

It is ! Wonder what year that was.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Probably 1974-1976 when Moog had become part of Norlin. See bottom left of ad.
They choose a good mic: Sennheiser MD431 8)