Ableton/ScopeASIO64 Win 11

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Ableton/ScopeASIO64 Win 11

Post by yayajohn »

Been having sporatic problems with my system.
Win 11 64bit. Scope Xite-1 Scope 7 64bit Ableton Live 11
Sometimes Ableton will crash and then Scope won't restart with some pop-up messages usually associated with the Xite not being found by the system.
OR
When I turn the computer on it doesn't see the Xite and then the resulting pop-ups occur.

Always: When I re-run the installer then everything runs again as normal. (until today)

I suspect: (but can't confirm) This happens when Winblows does an update and specifically I'm thinking it might have to do with the
Visual C++ Redistributable 2008. (because when I reinstall Scope it always asks if I want to restore it to the original version which I do)

So today I tried the above procedure and the installer stopped and would not reinstall the Scope ASIO-64.dll. So I aborted the reinstall then rebooted the computer and tried to manually erase/move the Scope ASIO-64.dll file and it wouldn't let me because it said that Ableton was using the file.
Looked at my Task Manager and Ableton was not running. ????!!!!

Anyway, it is up and running again normally.....until the next time it isn't.
Has anyone else had any weird issues like this?
valis

Re: Ableton/ScopeASIO64 Win 11

Post by valis »

The dll can be locked and the lock isn't removed if the system crashes (or is rebooted without cleanly releasing all processes), even though the host process is no longer running. Yes, this can occurring. It used to be that a file lock was done via a file system flag, I'm not sure what is the case in modern Windows (this was NT 4.x 64bit era etc). Quite possible it's a hive database layered on top of the filesystem now, as there can be many copies of certain DLL's associated with the legacy/compatibility layers now present.

Keep in mind that ASIO isn't the same as many other things. Until recently, GPU drivers were similar. The WDM layers that allow the Nvidia/AMD drivers to 'cleanly' crash and restore the desktop without reboot have cost quite a bit of performance (as virtualized layers will), and so we don't want for ASIO what has occurred to the Windows WDM/Directsound audio stack. Hardware drivers being locked when a host process fails for a low latency device is not surprising nor unexpected, though yes it can be a hassle.
yayajohn

Re: Ableton/ScopeASIO64 Win 11

Post by yayajohn »

Well most of that is beyond my level of understanding but when I reboot the computer i really don't expect any artifacts to remain from the last session. If Win 11 has started saving and reloading last session info like that after reboot then we are all doomed for a gradual disintigration of a clean OS between reboots.
When Ableton crashes and I reload it, sometimes it asks if I want to restore the last session. Why on earth would I want to do that? It crashed!