resetting up my creamware studiostuff..

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nivek555

resetting up my creamware studiostuff..

Post by nivek555 »

So i ended up getting another ada82000 and i have been setting up teh studio in a better and more streamlined way and today
i noticed my lexicon mx3000 rack effect thingy has the spdif in/out on it. My creamware has those cables marked 'dig in' and 'dig out' and those are spdifs right? I never bothererd using them as i never really had anythng exiting to spdif but now i maybe do :)
So i wonder, can i use those dig in/out connectors on my pulsar 1 and save 2 ins and 2 outs on my second ada8200?
The powersampler also have a spdif in/out buts it som kind of funky connector (copied from soundonsound.com: "and an eighth‑inch mini‑jack for S/PDIF In/Out. This last connector does seem an odd choice, but has the advantage of only using a single socket to service both digital In and Out — a stereo 3.5mm jack to twin phono adaptor lead"
How does that cable even look? the phono-cable cant do the spdif thing although the plug fits yes?

I would really appreaciete if someone would enlighten me.
Thanks!
garyb

Re: resetting up my creamware studiostuff..

Post by garyb »

he Pulsar 1 won't do an Sp/Dif loop, so it really won't be good for that use. you will need to make either the cards master and then slave the Lexi to the cards or make the Lexicon master and then slave Scope to the Lexicon. the digital i/o is not necessarily the best connection, but it can be.

the Poweer sampler card can be used for this as well. since it is a second generation card, it will do an Sp/DIF loop. again, you will need to choose whether Scope of the Lexican are digital master. the cable is a simple y cable, 1/8"(3.5mm) mini phone TRS to dual RCA(cinch). this cable is quite common.
nivek555

Post by nivek555 »

As usual you deliver GaryB, Thanks alot for your quick reply.
This y-cable for the powersampler.. I think i have a couple of those but i cannot understand how i can get a stereo signal back and forth, arent those dual rcsa's mono?
Not exactly an expert on this.
I might have to look into those patch-bay box-thingys.
Having lots of hardware connected was funnier than i expected, iam not ready to resign just yet! :)

lol :)

Have good days Garyb.
Thanks.
garyb

Post by garyb »

an Sp/DIF digital signal is stereo. one end of the y is in and the other is out.
dante

Post by dante »

So the same single digital data stream has both left and right channel information.
nivek555

Post by nivek555 »

Thanks alot, that finally makes sense.
I dont think i have a cable like that, theyre all the analag stereo to mono type cables.
Iam gonna have a look in my wires box and if i dont have it iam gonna have a look at my hardware store and get one and try this out.

Iam also thinking about patchbays now. is that how i get more use out of all the ins and outs ive run out of?
The adat-thingy is different on the powersampler as well, can i fit another ada8200 in there in any way?

Regards.
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, if you have the ADAT expansion, you can add another asa8200.
yes, patchbays are cool.