Windows 11

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

ronnie

Re: Windows 11

Post by ronnie »

Seems like we're being held hostage with Win 10 at least. I expect more so with 11. All new Native Instruments stuff requires 10 (NI locked up all their new stuff including libraries and instruments), Adobe will also screw you. Others only run their VSTs on it only.

I found this: https://atlasos.net/

Whole lightweight 64 bit version of Win (10 compatible). Needs powerful OpenGL GPU for programs that require it (graphics, video, photo and games. Other tweaking necessary.

Don't know about driver compatibility.

You have to wipe your boot drive to install and tweak MB settings. Heart and brain surgery.

It's worth a look but I'm not going to try it.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
valis

Post by valis »

Win11 can be installed on older PC's by using the IOT version of Win11 (preview 04/2024) Enterprise LTSC to bypass hardware requirements:
https://www.techspot.com/news/102707-ne ... orted.html

Here's a link to IOT Ent. LTSC on archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/26100-ltsc-x64-enus

-----------

Note with a TPM 1.2 chip on a Supermicro motherboard, i was able to install Win11 64bit and Xite Scope without issues, even though the CPU was reported as UNSUPPORTED and it asked for TPM2.0 in the requirements list. During install there was NO ISSUE--I did this last november on a USB stick built using MS's usb installer tool, and NOT via the IOT method above. Since IOT allows removal of components, I may eventually use this method to upgrade my WIn10 Scope PCI box to WIn11 via fresh install.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:32 am Win11 can be installed on older PC's by using the IOT version of Win11 (preview 04/2024) Enterprise LTSC to bypass hardware requirements:
https://www.techspot.com/news/102707-ne ... orted.html

Here's a link to IOT Ent. LTSC on archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/26100-ltsc-x64-enus
Thx a lot !

I´m just dowloading the ISO,- just only to have it.

Questions,-

1.)
There´s a product key visable on the download page,- did you use that and IF, how many users might be able to use ?
Or did you use the/your product key from previously installed Win 7 Pro x64 or Win 10 (22H) Pro x64 ?

2.)
The usual Win10/ 11 language conversion (right click MS Windows icon to the left on taskbar > settings > language) worked w/o installation of a dedicated language pack ?
(I cannot find such lang-pack elswhere,- except for MS Office)
Since the downloadable ISO is english language, there should be no problem changing the langauge to german once the OS is installed and launched.
valis wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:32 am -----------

Note with a TPM 1.2 chip on a Supermicro motherboard, i was able to install Win11 64bit and Xite Scope without issues, even though the CPU was reported as UNSUPPORTED and it asked for TPM2.0 in the requirements list. During install there was NO ISSUE--I did this last november on a USB stick built using MS's usb installer tool, and NOT via the IOT method above. Since IOT allows removal of components, I may eventually use this method to upgrade my WIn10 Scope PCI box to WIn11 via fresh install.
I have a Win 11 22H Pro x64 installed on my Lenovo W541 laptop showing similar "issues" when using "Why not Win11" application.
TPM 1.2 inside "isn´t supported" as well the "processor", the "graphics" and one or two other "things" mentioned,- buit it runs smooth and receives MS Win 11 updates successfully.
And it´s a regular Win11 from Win10 upgrade and not "IOT Ent. LTSC".

Up to now, I refused to install SCOPE/XITE v7 on that laptop ´cause I hoped for the new ASIO and WAVE driver since a long time.
So,- does Scope (XITE) run well w/o any issues on Win 11 on your side ?
Did it need some tweaks and/or tricks to install and run flawlessly ?

According to the "IOT Ent. LTSC" version, I´d like to install on my rackmount DAW machine w/ RME Raydat as the audio/MIDI interface.
Currently it´s Win 7 Pro x64 still and I wonder which product key might work,- my Win 7 Pro x64 key or the one from "IOT Ent. LTSC" download page. :-?

Every advise highly appreciated !

thx in advance,-

:)

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

I buy keys for typically $29 USD, I see them frequently advertised on tech sites and if you use them shortly after buying them they always work. Win11 Pro needs to be specified when purchasing (the keys are no longer interchangeable with Win10 as they were when Win11 launched). Here's an example on one such Ad.

I had zero issues with Win11 and Xite, I didn't do much tweaking for my Win10 Scope PCI box either. In fact the BIOS settings are stock on both, aside from one or two things that needed to be changed due to the type of motherboard (both have remote boot features that I turn off, remote SMC (System Management Controller) consoles and onboard GPU's that I don't use). The built in CPU IGP and graphics card are both left enabled, and I don't mess with core parking / EIST or etc. I did set PCI latency on both to 32 clk cycles on the PCI system, but no such thing is needed on the Xite box.

On all machines I run the current build of MS Powertoys, which allows me to toggle to keep the machine(s) awake and (optionally) screen on, and don't even find the need to change power profiles any longer. Note I don't run DAWs on either of these machines, though there are some things installed if I want to. I typically run Bidule and host some native plugins that I trigger from the remote DAW machine.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

valis wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:10 pm I buy keys for typically $29 USD, I see them frequently advertised on tech sites and if you use them shortly after buying them they always work. Win11 Pro needs to be specified when purchasing (the keys are no longer interchangeable with Win10 as they were when Win11 launched). Here's an example on one such Ad.
Thx a lot for your input !

So,- you got the Win11 "IOT Ent. LTSC" version to run w/ such product key (see link above) ?

Here, I can buy Win10/11 MAR (Microsoft Authorized Refurbished) version product key incl. DVD for EUR 35,-,- but that´s not "IOT Ent. LTSC" Enterprise version(s).
Would the "IOT Ent. LTSC" version install and run w/ such key,- or do I have to buy a dedicated "IOT Ent. LTSC" version product key to do so ???
valis wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:10 pm I had zero issues with Win11 and Xite, I didn't do much tweaking for my Win10 Scope PCI box either. In fact the BIOS settings are stock on both, aside from one or two things that needed to be changed due to the type of motherboard (both have remote boot features that I turn off, remote SMC (System Management Controller) consoles and onboard GPU's that I don't use). The built in CPU IGP and graphics card are both left enabled, and I don't mess with core parking / EIST or etc. I did set PCI latency on both to 32 clk cycles on the PCI system, but no such thing is needed on the Xite box.

On all machines I run the current build of MS Powertoys, which allows me to toggle to keep the machine(s) awake and (optionally) screen on, and don't even find the need to change power profiles any longer. Note I don't run DAWs on either of these machines, though there are some things installed if I want to. I typically run Bidule and host some native plugins that I trigger from the remote DAW machine.
Thx for the PCI latency advise for PCI card systems !

I´ll run SCOPE/XITE from laptop which has Win11 Pro 64Bit already installed,- just because the machine works at it is.
I already tweaked w/ Win10 Privacy as I did w/ the other, a bit slower, laptop w/ Win10 22H installed.

The "IOT Ent. LTSC" Win11 version makes sense only for upgrading the Win7 Pro 64Bit machine.
That´s why I´m asking for which product key to use w/ the Enterprise Win11 version I downloaded yesterday using the link from your previous posts above.
So,- the most important question is:

When buying such $29 product key (or such I can buy here) for a more or less "standard" Win11 Pro 64Bit,- would that product key work for the "IOT Ent. LTSC" Win11 version too ?

It´s all about my currently Win7 64Bit rackmount DAW machine where it´s impossible to install a "standard" Win11 Pro 64Bit because of Microsoft hardware restrictions.

thx again,-

:)

Bud