How many of you still own and use their NOAH

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

How many NOAH units do you own and use ?

- 3 NOAH Ex
No votes
- 2 NOAH EX + 1 NOAH
No votes
- 1 NOAH Ex + 2 NOAH
No votes
- 3 NOAH
No votes
- 2 NOAH Ex
4%
- 1 NOAH Ex + 1 NOAH
No votes
- 1 NOAH Ex
65%
- 1 NOAH
8%
- none ;)
23%

Total votes: 26

dante

Re: How many of you still own and use their NOAH

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:09 am So, my smallest rig is laptop, ASIO4ALL, Reaper, class-compliant Esi Midimate Ex and any MIDI keyboard lacking USB.
B.t.w., SysEx is perfect w/ BOME "SendX" application.
I re-loaded several soundbanks into Roland D-550, Roland U220, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha TG-500 as also on related cardridges after repair, service, battery exchange.
Good to hear soundbanks can be transmitted - that implies sysex bulk dump works on the Esi Midimate :wink:
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:09 am Yesterday, I tried NoahEX WAVE driver as Windows "standard" audio device on ancient ACER Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.3GHz WinXP SP3 laptop, playing back some music via Noah EX analog outputs and phones output.
I was really surprised how good it sounds !
And it acts as a MIDI interface for Windows too ... 8)

:)

Bud
Thats cool. So you could listen to YouTubes etc using NoahEX WAV driver as windows sound device ? In other words use NoahEX as a standard windoze 'soundcard' ?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:41 am
Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:09 am Yesterday, I tried NoahEX WAVE driver as Windows "standard" audio device on ancient ACER Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.3GHz WinXP SP3 laptop, playing back some music via Noah EX analog outputs and phones output.
I was really surprised how good it sounds !
And it acts as a MIDI interface for Windows too ... 8)

Bud
Thats cool. So you could listen to YouTubes etc using NoahEX WAV driver as windows sound device ? In other words use NoahEX as a standard windoze 'soundcard' ?
Yes, works cool w/ VLC Media Player and I guess it would work w/ YT too.
But YT no option on WinXP laptop since it´s not connected to the web, last but not least because of expected security issues.

Noah EX ASIO might become problematic on the ACER Aspire 5732z because it offers 2 USB ports only and in my case, w/ mouse and NOAH EX connected.
USB2 controllers share and deactivating these results in losing both USB2 ports and optical drive.
A USB-hub might help and I´ll try next future.

But I´m pretty sure, Noah EX ASIO works as a 2 In, 6 Out USB audio interface as well as the WAVE driver does for 2 I/Os,- when using a different computer allowing better tweaks in BIOS and device manager once problematic devices are idientified by executing MSinfo32.
Noah EX firmware v1.1 needed though.
But that´s what I re-flashed anyway.

So, it works as Noah EX standalone device w/ ADAT Out (alternately optical SPDIF) and 2-channel analog I/O, Wave device and multi-channel USB ASIO interface where it shall be possible selection channels in a host,- means, you´d be able to record analog signals thru Noah EX analog inputs.
When I bought the Noah EX by interest, I didn´t expect that flexibility at all.
In fact, it works like any other SCOPE card,- but using USB instead of PCI.

But I also found a issue,- possibly bug,- when using MIDI program change commands beginning from #111 and when being sent from Edirol PCR300 controller which uses a endless rotary encoder to scroll thru the range of 0-127 of MIDI program change numbers.
It crashes NoahEX freezing w/ criptic stuff in display and it happens w/ every device being loaded,- Minimax, ProOne ... whatever.
It might be MIDI buffer overload or time out error,- and I hope sending pre-selected MIDI program change numbers directly,- p.ex. pre-programmed in a Kurzweil PC3 setup or Miditemp PMM-88E patch, fixes the issue.
Before, I used NoahEX w/ Yamaha KX-5 "keytar"b which transmitts program changes 0(1) - 31(32) only,- just like a DX7.
No issues at all.

Bud
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Still using the Noah Ex (but have to reboot an old good win XP laptop for that purpose) more than the Xite-1 because of being more and more a Mac user and the standalone possible with the Noah Ex is the main explanation there.
Noah Ex is still a milestone in my musical journey even for our own products ...
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

One of my favorite Noah ex plugin (besides the Minimax/Pro5/Prodissey) is still the Six-String ...

viewtopic.php?t=37257
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

HUROLURA wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:16 am One of my favorite Noah ex plugin (besides the Minimax/Pro5/Prodissey) is still the Six-String ...

viewtopic.php?t=37257
Mine too !
I don´t have Sixstring for Scope, so it´s my most often used plugin on Noah EX and I enjoy playing it from my Yammi KX-5.

Bud
Bud Weiser

Re: NOAH Pro 5 installation update

Post by Bud Weiser »

Some update according Noah EX "Prophet 5" (Profit-5) installation.

Some time ago, I reported, w/ my Noah EX and w/ Prophet-5 installed, I urgently need Noah Remote Editor software to edit Prophet-5´s synth parameters (filter cutoff, envelopes and the like).

Through mediation of a friend, I now got contact to R.Meurer, owner of a Noah EX, running https://www.midisoft.de/ , being Kraftwerk´s https://kraftwerk.com/ tech manager and formerly designer of Meurer Midimax hardware controller https://www.midisoft.de/MIDIMAX/specs.htm , I got the info Prophet-5 synth parameters work flawlessly when using Noah EX front panel for editing on HIS Noah EX.
He confirmed on the phone while his NoahEX was running w/ Prophet 5 loaded and pushing the 1st encoder (to the left of Noah frontpanel) accessing synth edit mode for Prophet-5 and adjusting filter cutoff frequency.

On my Noah EX, this doesn´t work.
Instead, when I push the 1st encoder, the cursor jumps back to "preset number" in upper row of the display.

Now I wonder how to fix.
He sent the .oxe file to my friend via email as also a complete folder of Noah .oxe files.
My friend forwared these files to me,- and by comparison, I´ve recognized these are identical w/ what I formerly downloaded from S|C ftp server anyway.
I installed, removed and re-installed Prophet-5 on my Noah EX for several times meanwhile and got the bug back again and again.
It´s weird !

Can it be, there were slightly different versions of Prophet-5 .oxe files existing which cannot be identified because of all the same size and date ?
Or might files on S|C ftp server being partially corrupted ?

It´s the very last issue my successfully re-flashed Noah EX installation suffers from and I´d like to get that fixed.
All the other devices allow full editing from frontpanel, so I doubt it´s a hardware issue like bad encoder or such.

Any idea for help ?

thx in advance

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Can you get hold of R.Meurer's Noah Ex for a loan so you can compare any differences to isolate said issue ? then, maybe if yours looks the same in mint condition send him yours back by mistake :)

Well, the second part is a joke obviously but maybe the first part is legitimate :O

About the OX files, you could look for a binary compare utility if date and file size the same. Beats scrolling hours through hex dumps : :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:31 am Can you get hold of R.Meurer's Noah Ex for a loan so you can compare any differences to isolate said issue ? then, maybe if yours looks the same in mint condition send him yours back by mistake :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, given the fact he´s too far away from my location anyway, that won´t work at all,- and we aren´t buddies either.
When he´s back from touring, I´ll contact him and in the hope to get ´em, I´ll kindly ask for the file(s) already being installed on HIS NoahEX.

Seems to be the only way until any other user confirms Prophet5 on his Noah working perfect incl. all frontpanel editing options and loads up his files here.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Checking out the new Trigon 6 I wonder why it has no digital output.
valis

Post by valis »

Analog signal path, digital effects are inline so I suppose it was possible, but with modern converters being universally higher quality than decades past I don’t see this as a major problem for someone who can afford the synth.
dante

Post by dante »

garyb

Post by garyb »

an all digital path does not assure one of good sounding music...
valis

Post by valis »

The color that the analog path adds for many classic devices (and modern, if the designer do chooses)…. Do I need to complete?
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:13 am an all digital path does not assure one of good sounding music...
Who said it did ? I just like having choice over where and what analog processing is in the signal chain.
valis

Post by valis »

I don't think anyone is making a point about flexibility. It's just that with the pricepoint of that synth, it's omission was clearly not accidental. And for someone that can afford it, options exist.
dante

Post by dante »

I would have thought it was more related to demand. Clearly with the bunch of yesteryear synths (incl Noah thru the Dawman celebrated 96Khz SPDIF output of Solaris) that had it vs todays that don't (e.g. all of the latest Sequential range).
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:46 am Checking out the new Trigon 6 I wonder why it has no digital output.
Has nothing to do w/ Noah (EX),- so what ?

I´d prefer reading a solution according to my NoahEX / Prophet5 issue,- just because Mr. R.M. won´t be available before mid jan/feb 2023.

So,- who other Noah EX user has a fully working Prophet5 (Profit-5) version installed and is willing to provide his already installed files,- so I´m able to compare and test w/ a re-install of Prophet5 on Noah ?

thx ...

Bud
valis

Post by valis »

Interesting: MatrixSynth.com - Creamware Noah \/2022\/ Multimode Factory Demo Pt.2 #Minimax #Prodyssey #proone #Vectron #lightwave