Creamware S|C A16 Ultra

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Creamware S|C A16 Ultra

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Does the Creamware S|C A16 Ultra - The one with Z-Link - work with the PCI cards? - This may have been asked many times but I can't remember if it can or not.

I do have 2 x Luna 2 I/O boxes but these are unbalanced RCA connectors - Any info welcome - Thanks

fwiw - It is a hindrance for these Z-link connectors as it reduces the compatibility with all other equipment - Is there an adapter for firewire (z-link) into ADAT? - Probably not but its worth asking - Thanks
nebelfuerst

Re: Creamware S|C A16 Ultra

Post by nebelfuerst »

The answer is "yes".
If your pci card offers Z-link, this is the prefered way to connect.
You could also use ADAT.

As Z-Link is a special protocol, different to Adat, I doubt there is a converter out there.
Z-Link offers higher rates than Adat, but Z-link is not really a widespread standard compared to ADAT.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fraz wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:31 pm Does the Creamware S|C A16 Ultra - The one with Z-Link -
all A16U have Z-Link I/O in addition to ADAT.
fraz wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:31 pm work with the PCI cards?
They work w/ every PCI card,- via ADAT,- when the PCI card doesn´t offer a Z-Link I/O plate,- 2x ADAT I/O instead,-

or

via Z-Link WHEN the card has a Z-Link I/O plate,- w/ just only 1 ADAT I/O in addition.
fraz wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:31 pm I do have 2 x Luna 2 I/O boxes but these are unbalanced RCA connectors - Any info welcome - Thanks
Has nothing to do w/ your question above.
fraz wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:31 pm fwiw - It is a hindrance for these Z-link connectors as it reduces the compatibility with all other equipment - Is there an adapter for firewire (z-link) into ADAT? - Probably not but its worth asking - Thanks
Obsolete question.
Because you see Firewire ports, this doesn´t mean it´s Firewire.
Creamware used that port but a proprietary protocol,- so no, there wasn´t any "adapter".

B.t.w.,- RME did the same w/ teir Multi- and Digiface boxes connecting to PCI/PCIe cards.

:)

Bud
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hello - Thanks for replying YES the PCI cards work with the S|C A16 Ultra.

One PCI card I've got is the Pular 2 Z-Link - with 2 x Z-Link & 1 x ADAT - So does this mean it will support 24 I/O? - 16 on Z-Link (8 I/O each Z-Link) plus 8 I/O over ADAT?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fraz wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:46 pm Hello - Thanks for replying YES the PCI cards work with the S|C A16 Ultra.

One PCI card I've got is the Pular 2 Z-Link - with 2 x Z-Link & 1 x ADAT - So does this mean it will support 24 I/O? - 16 on Z-Link (8 I/O each Z-Link) plus 8 I/O over ADAT?
Yes !
Connect A16U w/ 2 "firewire" cables and use another 8 ch. AD/DA w/ ADAT (2 optical cables).
Restriction:
For 24 ch. I/O,- use 44.1K or 48KHz max. sample rate.
96KHz reduces ADAT to 4 ch. I/O (SMUX).

Z-Link supports full channel count (16 channels) up to 96KHz.

Bud
fraz

Post by fraz »

OK - And so another A16 U with Z-link would be needed - I have one but it's reserved for the Xite-1 - So another would be needed for the PCI cards that support Z-Link - But these can sell for a lot of money - Maybe too much!!! -
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fraz wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:40 pm OK - And so another A16 U with Z-link would be needed - I have one but it's reserved for the Xite-1 - So another would be needed for the PCI cards that support Z-Link - But these can sell for a lot of money - Maybe too much!!! -
A16U is the most reasonably priced quality 16 I/O (32-channels) AD/DA on the used market and the ONLY one w/ Z-Link.
You won´t get any better for about $ / EUR 400 - 500.- !

Bud
fraz

Post by fraz »

OK Mr Bud Weiser - Please help find one - I can look as well - But these are all used 2nd hand - which isn't a problem (always) but sometimes can be as it is a lottery as to condition of used equipment -
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fraz wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:48 pm OK Mr Bud Weiser - Please help find one - I can look as well - But these are all used 2nd hand - which isn't a problem (always) but sometimes can be as it is a lottery as to condition of used equipment -
I bought both used in excellent condition.
They appear here occasionally.
Just be patient and take a look on ebay and reverb nonetheless.

Bud

P.S.:

german ebay classified offers:

XITE-1 ... and there´s a A16U on the pics too
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 87-74-1588

same seller @ebay ...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/155258666845?ha ... olid=10049

Creamware in "music instruments" ...
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-mus ... ware/k0c74

Creamware in "electronics > audio-hifi" ...
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-aud ... are/k0c172

When doin´ the same search for "sonic core" ... same items appear,- almost.

Currently no A16U because they fly off the shelf,- but that´s locations to have a look.
Problem,- you´d need a valid german phone number to register.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante

Post by dante »

So Z-Link beats ADAT coz w/- Z-Link you don't have to half the channel count to go to 96Khz like you do with ADAT.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:21 am So Z-Link beats ADAT coz w/- Z-Link you don't have to half the channel count to go to 96Khz like you do with ADAT.
YES !

Bud
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Z-link is also more robust. I never had crackles with Z-Link, but with Adat I had some tries until it worked.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///