XITE-1 power adapter replacement

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

t_tangent

XITE-1 power adapter replacement

Post by t_tangent »

The Hipro HP-02040D43 Rev 01 power adapter which came with my XITE-1 has died, so I need to get a replacement. I did buy the same model adapter from ebay.co.uk but it was a Rev B version not a Rev 01 version, and unfortunately the inner diameter of the pin which connects into the power socket on the back of the XITE-1 is just too small so it won't fit. I assume the different Rev number is used to determine the size of this pin although I am not certain.

Anyway, if anyone happens to know of an alternative make or model power adapter which will work with the XITE-1 I would appreciate it. Cheers
valis

Re: XITE-1 power adapter replacement

Post by valis »

Make sure you email support and ask.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, suport will provide a solution. it's best to use the adapters from SC...
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Yes, I have emailed suoport, so will wait for a reply in due course. :)

Sure I understand that using a replacement direct from SC was probably the best solution, however I figured it was worth a try with the one I got off ebay as it was cheap and local. Unfortunately although it's exactly the same model, a HiPro HP-02040D43, but the ebay one is a Rev B instead of a Rev 01 which the original is that came with the XITE-1, so I guess that Rev specification denotes the dimensions of the connector . The outer dimension is the same but the inside dimension is not quite as wide as the original Rev 01. Anyway, I will wait for support to reply, and thanks for the advice. :)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

To follow up quickly, I have now been in touch with support and will be purchasing a replacement power adapter from SC.

Thanks for the help. :)
valis

Post by valis »

If capacitors didn't suck at being left in the box, I would buy a second just to be prepared. Probably worth considering in a few years regardless...
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

It was actually the inductor coil that blew. I just ordered a replacement adapter from SC so decided to open up the original one and see what happened, and the inductor coil has burnt through several copper strands. All the caps look ok although I havent tested them or anything else. Anyway, just thought it would be of interest. :)
HiPro Power Adapter.jpg
HiPro Power Adapter.jpg (297.01 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
HiPro Power Adapter Burned out Inductor Coil.jpg
HiPro Power Adapter Burned out Inductor Coil.jpg (282.75 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
valis

Post by valis »

Thanks! (Caps have issues when idle was referencing a 2nd PSU stored for years in the event I would need one). Looks like a defect that took time, or a transient, to fail.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Yes, the coil blew up, but that’s most likely the symptom, NOT the cause... ;)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

True, it was likely something else that caused it. I might check the caps and some other components just out of interest when I have time. But more importantly a new adapter is on its way from SC. :)
tonatona

Post by tonatona »

I'm using Mean Well S60A12-P1J since years, as far as i remember my research this is the successor of the Sonic Core stock adapter. The DA converter is sounding a little bit different compaired to the stock adapter, mainly because it is regulated.