Hardware synths vs Scope synths vs Software synths

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Hardware synths vs Scope synths vs Software synths

Post by dawman »

That’s a deal, but if you get Dark Zebra (HZ) along with Zebra 2, both for 150 you won’t need to buy your update to Zebra 3, it will be free.
Zebra 2 to Zebra 3 will be anyone’s guess on price, but the 50 spent on Dark (HZ) locks you in.
Probably be 100 to upgrade to Z3 from Z2.

I got some killer presets for meat and potato sounds.

Have fun.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:44 pm That’s a deal, but if you get Dark Zebra (HZ) along with Zebra 2, both for 150 you won’t need to buy your update to Zebra 3, it will be free.
Zebra 2 to Zebra 3 will be anyone’s guess on price, but the 50 spent on Dark (HZ) locks you in.
Probably be 100 to upgrade to Z3 from Z2.

I got some killer presets for meat and potato sounds.

Have fun.
Zebra 2 and Dark Zebra are so good I wonder what will come w/ Zebra 3, making it´s purchase "essential".

The NI deal is great, but I won´t buy the bundle,- just only Zebra 2, The Dark Zebra, Diva,- and possibly Satin.

:)

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Post by dante »

dawman wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:44 pm I got some killer presets for meat and potato sounds.
Ok hit me up w/- some of yer pads - so far - and Ive only spent 30 mins - presets dont seem to stand head and shoulders above that what I can get out of many of my VST and Rack Extension soft synths - eg. Rob Papen stuff, Spire, Largo, Obx Obsession, Expanse Hyperwave etc - other than it's way better on CPU than say Spire to get equivalent complexity. Ill spend some more time with it.... cant expect much in 30 mins hey 8)

BTW - I couldn't see any mechanism to bundle up the Zimmer pack with it in shop - guess I can do that later hopefully....
valis

Post by valis »

Keep in mind that when Hive & Zebra were new, they were certainly head & shoulders above many other products on the market. Now we're positively swimming in options to the point where many companies are putting out their own rack or modular environment to continue to compete, which seems like a meta level above combining a few simpler effects into a larger unit or synth (as we passed through about the time Scope was first on the market--think Ohmboyz compared to stock cubase VST 5.x plugins).

Even Reaktor is miles above what was on offer with Generator 1.x & it's first few actual Reaktor versions.

Zebra 2 seems appealing, many of the synths I had that competed with Zebra 1 I think are frozen in time now (though of course there's been many new ones added since as well).
dawman

Post by dawman »

We don’t need dozens of synths, what we need is a few that are different from each other, then actually learn how to use them.
Zebra EG’s and modulation options allow it to emulat e hardware better than most.
Omnisphere is a great sounding synth and sampler with multi layered approach making it as fat as you want.

The reason I like these two is because they don’t fizz out on live rig like so many others do, which sound great at home in a studio or on headphones.

NI synths might be better now than they once were, but the recent “synths” that came with Kontakt 6 suck so bad I wonder if they’re trying to see how tone deaf users are, or just force them to buy Massive or one of the many other synths they have.

Once I finally master these 2 synths then I can go back to wasting time listening to 5 million more presets......NOT
dante

Post by dante »

I A/B'd Zebra with Europa and Obsession. They are all on par at the Zebra discounted price point - but that's just from a preset surfing 'instant gratification' POV. Zebra *looks* deeper than the other 2 - so you probably don't really get the full differential until you get fully into sound design territory.

I was thinking my pluginitus was pretty bad, until I checked other forums where some guy has like 35 reverbs and is agonising over what his 36th would be, and they're talking about tracking, mixing, summing and mastering with Neve plugs at every point in the chain then doing the same song with equivalent API plugs :roll:
GEran21

Post by GEran21 »

fidox wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:45 am Hi !

I owned quite a lot of hardware synths before i discovered Creamware cards.
That was back in 2005 :)
Then i switched just to Creamware cards and software VST's.
I use in my production more or less similar setup, KickMe for bassdrum or software VST and Prodyssey, Minimax for bass line or software VST.
Now, i have purchased after very long time my first hardware synth, Korg Minilogue XD module.
Very nice and powerfull synth. Not too heavy for use and quite easy for programming.
I was looking also for Behringer model D, seems to me very similar to Minimax or maybe any other synth from Scope platform ?

What i want to hear, maybe opinion on how much powerful Scope's platform synth can be, can sound like external hardware synths, maybe better and do you use them a lot or maybe more software VST or external hardware ? :)
I have the Korg Minilogue XD synth. I like this instrument but I didn`t liked synth effects. I uses Minilogue XD with Digitech Studio S100 and S200. It is the classic processor but it great mix with Minilogue. I don know why. I used XD with Lexicon PCM81 too, but I liked Digitech Studio S200 mix with Minilogue XD better.

Korg Minilogue XD + Digitech Studio S100
More information - https://progressiveaxleradio.com/korg-minilogue-xd

YOUTUBE>> https://youtu.be/zi0PCnSa_9E <<
INSTAGRAM>> http://instagr.am/p/CfBeJbLg-I9 <<
Synthesizers, Effect Processors, VSTi & VST >> https://progressiveaxleradio.com <<
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

GEran21 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:35 am Korg Minilogue XD + Digitech Studio S100
More information - https://progressiveaxleradio.com/korg-minilogue-xd

YOUTUBE>> https://youtu.be/zi0PCnSa_9E <<
INSTAGRAM>> http://instagr.am/p/CfBeJbLg-I9 <<
I don´t think KORG Minilogue sounds better than SCOPE synths, stock or 3rd party.
There´s different functionality, but sonically,- no.

I like Digitech FX,- I own Studio 400 which I consider to be the best of the "Studio" series FX,- at least because it offers the max of DSP power and routing.
Guess what ...
I think about selling it because SCOPE/XITE is much more powerful and SCOPE DSP FX sound top notch.

When I toured in the past, Digitech Studio 400 was welcome w/ only 2HU, quad processor and 4 balanced analog I/O channels on XLR.
It was in use in a pair of large 30HU racks for all my keys and Midi-modules.
Different times ...
I still have a lot of the old gear, but since years, I prefer it to be much more compact and portable.

S|C XITE-1 w/ a laptop offering a PCIexpress slot replaces a lot and is better handling.

With the optional AES/EBU interface card, the Studio 400 would possibly be a nice addition to modern systems, but mine doesn´t have and I had no luck finding the interface in used and working condition.

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I"m still using a Digitech GSP2101 since the 90's. Haven't yet found a software distortion that beat the real vacuum tubes. I use the Xite headphone out to the Digitech and rout the output back to the Xite's XLR inputs.
astroman

Post by astroman »

As soon as FX is applied it becomes incredibly hard to tell if a source was analog or digital.
(at least for the „better“ virtual analogs)
It doesn‘t matter much anyway if the FX is used for it‘s character, like in GEran‘s Minilogue example above.

I‘ve kept a Lexicon Vortex, Intellifex and the crappy SPX90 for that purpose... :D
valis

Post by valis »

It's also about workflow. I could simply midi play a software stack and be happy, but I find in software I stick to the DAW or mobile app stack and work within that in terms of UI constraints and the results that you get from that workflow. With Scope, I have something that stays live the whole time like hardware, and integrates across the board as glue and its own spice (driving a ramp into flexor to sequence your modular patch while running fx alongside and feeding that via adat back into Logic...)

Each tool leaves a bit of a 'fingerprint' on the results, in the way that live clips used to make everything sound hard enveloped on the clip boundary (I know you can work around this, at least with automation, and it will crossfade now etc), and so I like to use them for that or where they're efficient in workflow, or both.

I have a newer digi RP360 XP on the floor for its models, a cheapo Lexi unit, and my Kurzweil rumour still as well. They integrate well when overdriving something into my crappy BOSS 8 channel mixer (great solid state crunch, gets fed back into main mixer and bussed into Logic or Scope)... and so on.
garyb

Post by garyb »

an SPX90 isn't crappy....
astroman

Post by astroman »

I‘m just trying to talk internet prices down... like the Gear Sluts did with the Digidesign converter boxes :P
(882/20 piled up here to 5 units while I only wanted the cables)
They have in fact the most simple clock generator imaginable, but clocked via a Mutec MC7... no complaints.
The 888/24 even surprised me.
It‘s all about the „fingerprint“ of sound Valis mentioned. As long as a piece of gear has it‘s own, I‘m happy with it. :)
valis

Post by valis »

Same. It's easy to argue that the same results can be found with many workflows, by subtle use of eq and compression, or emulating the time-smearing of an old convertor etc, but at the end of the day if a piece of gear already does it with only a few knobs to worry about it's so much easier to get on with other things. I suspect Gary is a fan of this too ;)
garyb

Post by garyb »

Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:53 am an SPX90 isn't crappy....
true,- it´s a classic.
I used the standard SPX 90 and the SPX 90 II, the latter because of upgraded memory resulting in longer delay times.
The SPX 90s "Symphonic" ensemble effect was excellent for real Rhodes, most DX7 patches and anlog synth pads.
But it was very noisy too.
When the successor SPX-900 was released and I recognized the SPX90´s FX algos were included, I bought 2.
But at the end of the day, I kept only 2 old Yamaha FX devices,- a REV-7 (mainly reverb) and D-1500 mono digital modulation delay.
These are in use here ´til today.
REV-7 is still good for drums and D-1500 is for leads,- guitar or synth.

There´s another one I liked,- the Roland DEP-5.
It had kind of chorused reverse reverb w/ pan-delay combo patch,- I cannot describe better.
But we used it for lead vocals for a balled being recorded 1990 and it was magic for slow tempos.
It was never possible to re-create that FX sound w/ other gear later,- it sounded different always.

anyway,- this thread now morphed from synths to FX ... :D

Bud
astroman

Post by astroman »

I remember the DEP5, it‘s on my get-it-if-a-cheapo-pops-up radar (rather unlikely, tho).
Roland did the same as Lexicon back then, using programming array logic chips for the processing, just didn‘t coin a flashy label aka Lexichip.
I first noticed it with their Boss Me-5 pedal, which has a dedicated DA converter, while all the small RV pedals use the same chip, but convert to DA by a simple resistor network... hence trash galore.
Somewhat over the top imho, but they sure have their fans.

I bought the Me-5 for it‘s midi switching capability and the collection of several analog Boss pedals on a single board.
Before I got it I considered the delay/reverb section (as the only digital part) a flaw, but then was blown away by it‘s performance under cans. Marvelous with a dash of occasional artifacts on steep transients, a $50 bargain.
The Paul Tanti (EarlyFirst) reverbs cover a similar domain, but with a way more smooth tone.

Tbh I consider FX an essential (or rather integral) part of synth sound... imagine the Bladerunner soundtrack without Lexicon reverb :-? :D
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I've always viewed SCOPE as 'Hardware-Quality' and certainly Creamware did as well hence ASB's, Klangbox's, etc wich housed SCOPE algorithms. One of the faces of XITE-1 is a hardware sound-module looking a lot like others thats been on the market. I have my eyes on a few other OTB hardware synths and effects but only to add a little auxillary spice to a ITB based studio. But the NEED for External hardware has long passed for me apart from Keytars and Keyboard-controllers wich often have lovely synths included in them.

That said, i do believe the 'ultra-high-end' is still with External hardware generally e.g. Bricasti reverb, Solaris Synthesizer, etc and also that there's usually no perfect emulation of high-end analog. But i would'nt let 'perfect be the enemy of the good'.
While the ultra-high-end is with external-hardware there is no need for it IMO and ITB with SCOPE and Native definitely does have high-end to my ears. SCOPE synths are beautifull and very pleasant to my ears, likewise with certain Native effects. No need for the ultra-high-end here but certainly a small 'want' for a few pieces of external gear of that caliber. YMMV..
valis

Post by valis »

My favorite Banco De Gaia album is his first, which is very raw in terms of production values (home synths and cheap mixer). Likewise much of the early jungle and techno/trance were not made on stellar gear. Boring perhaps by some of today's standards, but production values != vibe anyway.

I'm all for complementary however, I just find it's a completely different aesthetic going from punk or home lofi to full blown Bricasti x8 plus 96 chan board etc etc. My personal domain is somewhere in the middle, with a preference for signal routing potentials.

Hence, it seems I'll be getting an Xite soon. There's no match for audio processing and routing in realtime across many different workflows, and since I've expanded my visual array of machines quite nicely it should complement that well. Last will be updating my Apple ecosystem...
GordonGekko

Post by GordonGekko »

Hope you get the xite 8)