Standalone Vst's always crash my system?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nivek555

Standalone Vst's always crash my system?

Post by nivek555 »

Hello good peoples!

I just learned I have a weird problem with my pulsar/scope setup when trying to use standalone vst synths.
what happens is the moment i select my scope-pci as asio driver my machine instantly hangs and needs to be rebooted.
This happens with every standalone vst i have, and it also happens if i try to use asio drivers in wavelab or gig performer.

I use ableton live and mixbus and they work just fine.

Can anyone help me out here and tell me whats going on?
I would really appreaciate it.

btw Iam still rocking my pulsar 1 and powersampler pci cards :-)

oh, and sorry if this is a common error. i tried the search but came up empty..

Thank you for reading!
garyb

Re: Standalone Vst's always crash my system?

Post by garyb »

unfortunately, it is common.

many stand-alone apps access the driver in a way that the Scope system cannot respond to. for now, you will need to run the vsti in a host.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Vsthost just works fine for me and it is a minimal environment.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
nivek555

Post by nivek555 »

Well dang it how about that.
I was like 110% sure you guys would have a quick fix :)

It looks like I will have a look at the vsthost.
I just wanna uknow try out that dawless thing...
Maybe its fun, who knows?

Thanks!
Have great days!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:00 am unfortunately, it is common.

many stand-alone apps access the driver in a way that the Scope system cannot respond to. for now, you will need to run the vsti in a host.
Is that valid for PCI card systems only ?

With XITE-1, SCOPE v5.1 32Bit and now v7.0 64Bit,- I never had/ have any issues when using standalone apps w/ Scope ASIO driver,-
all what´s incl. in NI Komplete Ultimate CE and is able to run standalone, all Cherry Audio I own as also Arturia,- just to name a few.

My 32Bit PCI system runs SCOPE v7 exclusively, so I never tried native standalone apps.

:)

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:30 am

With XITE-1, SCOPE v5.1 32Bit and now v7.0 64Bit,- I never had/ have any issues when using standalone apps w/ Scope ASIO driver,-
all what´s incl. in NI Komplete Ultimate CE and is able to run standalone, all Cherry Audio I own as also Arturia,- just to name a few.

My 32Bit PCI system runs SCOPE v7 exclusively, so I never tried native standalone apps.

Bud
Nope! Xite too. Some work and some don't. Try Gig Performer to name one of many i've tried over the years. (although I do have Gig Performer running on a separate computer with Win7 32 Scope7 PCI)
There really isn't any advantage running standalone vs a VST host. It ties up your ASIO driver for just one device.
The difference btwn standalone and VST host is probably minimal in terms of CPU load.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:04 am There really isn't any advantage running standalone vs a VST host.
Well, I prefer running a VI standalone when making patches for it and nothing else.

Anyway, I might have luck because I didn´t find a single one not working w/ SCOPE/XITEv7 x64.

Modartt Pianoteq 6 Pro, ASS modelling suite (incl. Lounge Lizzard), all NI, all Cherry Audio, freeware like DiscoDSP OB-Xd and others,- they all run.
Using Tone 2 Nano Host, making VSTi plugins work as standalone works too,- 32 and 64Bit.
I doubt SCOPE ASIO is the culprit when something doesn´t work,- I bet it´s the not working plugin´s code causing issues.

The only plugin which doesn´t work standalone at all is "Dexed".
But it doesn´t see any ASIO driver on Win10 laptop either,- ASIO4ALL (latest for Win10) in my case.
It recognizes Windows Audio incl. WASAPI only.

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Bud I'm glad to hear that you don't have any issues. My system is probably a little buggered since for some reason my wordclock seems to work when yours doesn't? But well, i'm certainly not going to mess with that.
valis

Post by valis »

32bit OS, it has more compatibility with the the various ASIO layers the devs use (or more correctly, the newer versions of portaudio & RtAudio are now 64bit only, so the 32bit apps that use them will be still linking to the older dll's that seem fine with Scope 32bit on a 32bit OS.
nivek555

Post by nivek555 »

yayajohn wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:04 am
Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:30 am

Bud
Nope! Xite too. Some work and some don't. Try Gig Performer to name one of many i've tried over the years. (although I do have Gig Performer running on a separate computer with Win7 32 Scope7 PCI)
There really isn't any advantage running standalone vs a VST host. It ties up your ASIO driver for just one device.
The difference btwn standalone and VST host is probably minimal in terms of CPU load.
Gigperformer yes! I have it and forgot to mention.. thanks for reminding me.
So i had a close look at it using it as vst host setting it up kinda like I would in the scope-enivonmen, for that dawless thing.

It worked really well but i sofar didnt try it with scope asio drivers as i did the gigperformer testing on my laptop.
Oh, and also the version i have (bundled with pa-mega bundle subscription thing) will only load pa-alliance's own plugins.
The 'load every vst you want'-options is in a more expensive version of the gigperformer. cant remember the name
right now sorry.
BUT!!
Are you saying that gig-performer runs well with scope asio drivers?
I might have to look at the full-version of it.
Iam soon to have my big voucher and i dont really need anything more from them.

Thanks again guys, i will try to check in more often.

Kevin.
nivek555

Post by nivek555 »

Hey guys also btw, i think ive been thinking about doing all this in a way never was feasible in the first place.
I should have said this in my opening post: I thought i would be able to say start 3 standalone vst's and have them assigned to a unique asio tracks, then sequence them from my beatstep pro while mixing them and potentially recording the output from the sonic-core mixer with yet another app (like wavelab).

I understand now that i would need a vst-host to do this anyhow i look at it.
Unless i go for just 1 standalone vsti, wich wasnt the project.

Thanks again for reading.

Kevin.
maggiau

Post by maggiau »

Hello
Support told me they are working on a beta version that may solve this ....
Real or not ?
I suscribed to the beta version test
regards
Alessandro
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

maggiau wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:18 am Hello
Support told me they are working on a beta version that may solve this ....
Real or not ?
I suscribed to the beta version test
regards
Alessandro
Did betatest start already,- and when not, when will it begin ?

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

it is real. it is not ready yet.
it will be done when it is done. nobody can make it otherwise, i am afraid...