How to optimize windows 10 for Scope to avoid clicks and pops!?

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid EDGE

Re: How to optimize windows 10 for Scope to avoid clicks and pops!?

Post by Liquid EDGE »

t_tangent wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:24 am Yes try disabling the VIA USB on interrupt 12 which is shared with Xite, you should be able to right click on it and disable it.then just use another usb slot for anything that is connected to that, from what you said above your Virus is connected to that but try moving it to another usb socket that isn't sharing with Xite? In fact I would remove the virus first then disable the VIA USB
All my usb slots are in use. All of them. I have none spare.
I do push my PC to its limits (apart from actual cpu load, because, scope)
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

valis wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:19 pm By the way, when using external USB devices and wanting 100% reliable performance, disabling power saving states (by setting that on the HIgh Performance windows profile, and switching to that profile when working) may not be enough for all systems. For instance, on the B550-E systems it seems that USB 2.0 devices and soundcards have major issues, and other devices might as well. Asus support has a bios option for those boards to specifically disable C-states for the ports in question, and your board might offer similar features.
I’ll have a look. Thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

just use a hub.
valis

Post by valis »

Use a multi-TTM HUB
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Good one, Always multi-TTM when using USB2 to connect USB 1 devices!! That really makes the latency for each device on the hub as minimal as possible.
astroman

Post by astroman »

There‘s always something to learn... never heard or read of „multi ttm“ before... ??? :D
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

I’m totally spinning out now..

https://we.tl/t-cPaZOvLtYM?src=dnl

Listen to two flames v10

This is the project where I could not get rid of a glitch happening once on playback..

Anyhow’s I recorded it, it glitched once.. but playing back the recording there is no glitch!!! 👀

Can only assume the exact same stalling pause that causes the heard glitch happens when recording, thus it gets printed with no glitch/pause/stall stumble that I hear..

(I bounce live back into cubase)
garyb

Post by garyb »

how are your speakers connected?
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Scope xlr outs directly into powered speakers/monitors.

Cubase feeds to scope, and then scope mixer feeds to control room and also back into cubase, also that feed that goes back into cubase is again looped back to scope and sent to the control room.. (to flick between listening to direct out of scope mixer or the cubase control room feed back)

The scope control room is feed to the analog xlr outs..

It’s set up like this due to how the control room in cubase works. Plus it’s how I record the final mix on windows 10..

On xp I used vdat to record the final out. And don’t use the control room in cubase.

So it’s just a guess but if the asio or whole audio signal gets glitched due to cubase or whatever maxing out somewhere or an interupt it’s happening on both the in and out, 🤷‍♂️ The glitch I hear is like a rapid pause.. so if that’s happening on both in and out of the asio signal, it makes sense it records ok.. mad!!!

I’ve tested removing this feedback loop and the same glitching behaviour happens. So it’s not that stressing it.

Obviously that glitch would be a problem when recording a live performance into the project as a tiny slice of said performance would be missing..
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Lol, the glitch is recorded. It’s just so tiny and my critical listening is so hyped up when working on a project.. so wasn’t noticing it on the recording. But I’ve just noticed it.

Feck. 😀.. just record it twice and chop out and replace glitch with ok bit.

It’s seems to happen with at least a six minute gap.
Maybe it’s a sign to make shorter tracks. 😀 bloody computers.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

So I disabled that irq conflict.

What’s so strange is that every usb connection on my pc is being used.

But before I disabled it I looked at “devices by connection” to see what was connected to it. Nothing is connected to it.. just said usb hub and nothing was connected to that.

Confused much I am.. 🤷‍♂️..
valis

Post by valis »

Typically a chipset will have multiple internal 'hubs', and only a few of those are connected to the motherboard PCB via traces. It's also possible you had a device that was in a bad sleep state, causing hiccups, and not showing up. Unclear from info given, or perhaps even another issue not seen in your text.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Disabling that irq made it slightly better.

Last thing I have not tried yet is using internal hard drive for all data rather than external usb drive..

The click now is very subtle. The red doesn’t activate in cubase performance window. And it does seem it only happens with audio heavy projects. 🤷‍♂️
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Good to know disabling that VIA USB has helped and I agree that recording direct to an internal hard drive should make a significant improvement. I use an SSD for my scope and program installs and a WD Black 2TB for recording to. Then backup to another internal and external drive.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Fingers crossed.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Yes best of luck :)
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

I’m an idiot!

I didn’t have cpu priority set to background programs…. 🙄

Also, ignore my ramblings about asio guard must of been tripping.. 😀

Pc now fully optimised and crackle & pop free on the whole.. (though of course a glitch can happen when overly flicking about editing stuff while playback is happening in full busy completed near the end projects etc)
Last edited by Liquid EDGE on Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Nice one. Glad you got it sorted. :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
dawson

Post by dawson »

hello, this is my first post, I have been lurking here for some time and i decided to register today... :-)
anyway, I just found out that my computer, which was giving me clicks and pops, no longer does it after switching from an NVIDIA graphics card to a Radeon chipsed card.
I found out about this reading about issues in samplitude and it seems to be the solution in my computer. I was having clicks very frequently in any sound source (e.g. daw, youtube videos) and spikes in cpu consumption in samplitude were happening very unpredictably, it seems it's no longer the case with the Radeon card. I have not tested the system very thoroughly yet but the test so far shows a significant change.

*my system is: windows 10 64-bit, i7-2600k, 8 gb ram, mb Asus P8H61, 1x Luna, 2x Pulsar II
*the old graphics card is asus nvidia gforce gt730 (nothing wrong with this card regarding graphics, actually)
*the new card that works well with my system is an asus phoenix radeon rx550 4gb

i hope this helps someone