last night my Scope became schizoid

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

astroman

last night my Scope became schizoid

Post by astroman »

I finally jumped in and added a clock distribution amplifier/reclocker (Mutec MC-7).
All fine with Adat between Mac and Scope and the 2 converter boxes, Asio playback ok, etc.

But then I loaded a synth, and another, and... every synth without exception failed to generate it‘s regular sound :o
What I heard was identical to what you get from a (very) high-jitter system.
Flipping through DAW, line input, adat io, all fine, only the synth sucked (really sucked).
This is completely beyond my mental capabilities - is it even possible ???

Setting Scope back to master (from wordclock) returned the familiar synth sounds.
I‘m not seeking for a solution, but found it worth mentioning.
(bizarre that there seems to be a different clocking for synth and DAW signals or whatever that was)

cheers, Tom
valis

Re: last night my Scope became schizoid

Post by valis »

I don't think that's it, I had clocking issues with several of my cards as parts failed. I even purchased an additional RME unit thinking that was the issue. We have a repair technician in our midst now.

Not suggesting it IS failure, but something that strange should be tested on your end to determine possible causes. Set aside time, imho.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

XITE or PCI (Sync Plate) ?

:)

Bud
astroman

Post by astroman »

2 PCI Cards, 6 and 4 DSPs...
Card failing makes sense, the Pulsar-1 does no analog input since a while, but Adat is (was) ok, so it‘s been of no concern.
I could exchange the Pulsar to verify.
Before a couple of hours synths were back to regular with wordclock again, still holding.

Of course I’m mentally prepared to have a card age 20 and above failing... and got a heat soldering station anyway.
But this was so strange I couldn‘t believe what I clearly heard. The effect was way beyond subtle :D
valis

Post by valis »

Are you clocking only via adat?
astroman

Post by astroman »

No, via wordclock. The Mutec MC-7 needs an arbitrary digital signal of the target frequency at it’s reference input and then generates precise wordclock (with optional multipliers) at it‘s BNC sockets.

The intended scheme is to use the Alesis BRC 48khz out for reference input, with the BRC set to external sync and feed it one of the MC-7‘s outputs.
Scope is slaved to the BRC‘s 48khz clock on the 9pin input of the Sync Plate, last item in sample rate dialog.
(This is required to use the BRC as a VDAT remote, which has been quite successful)

Another 48khz wordclock goes to a Korg 880AD (current substitute for old A16), using Adat1 from the Pulsar-1.
(the 880AD is manually set to wordclock sync)
2 outputs with 256x multiplier go to a Digidesign Adat Bridge and 882/20 converter.
8 channels of the Adat Bridge go Adat-1 of the Pulsar-2.

The critical parts are the BRC‘s unterminated clock input and cable length of the x256 (superclock) lines.

So I simplyfied by using an optical S/PDIF from my ID22 as MC-7 reference signal and fed wordclock to the Sync Plate.
The Digidesign Superclock was still connected, but I unplugged the TOSLink cables.
In that setup the mysterious synth desaster happened.

I have quality cables from a former broadcast installation, but those are old... and with each 2.5m length too long.

cheers, Tom
astroman

Post by astroman »

The Pulsar One proceeded to decay further... Scope reports „no stdm connection to that card“.
Replaced it by a Luna for the time being, confirming stdm itself is ok.
valis

Post by valis »

I had this issue with my Scope cards. Recapping solved it for the most part.

Our repair technician dynamixii is about to finish a stack of replacement cards, and would either have time to repair yours soon (perhaps) or a 6 dsp card that would function as a replacement. Suggestion...
astroman

Post by astroman »

Thanks for mentioning, I‘ve followed the repair threads with interest.
But it‘s part of the game to do it myself... and I need practice anyway as preparation for the true challenge:
replace the Tristar IC in an iPad Air that‘s waiting on the shelf in disassembled condition.
(I can get along with 9 instead of 10 DSPs easily)
That Tristar thing is an estimated 0.1x0.1 inch chip with 15 connections at the bottom and you have to heat through the device in a precise timing interval at precise temperature :o
valis

Post by valis »

If you are capable and have the tools to do so, and willing to take the risk, then by all means.