Can someone help me fatten up Alaska ?

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Can someone help me fatten up Alaska ?

Post by dante »

This is a cover of a U.K. (Eddie Jobson) track I did for Scoperise back a few years to demo the Solaris Core. I meant to redo it but LOST the midi file, so I recreated it & attached it here.

I'm sure it can be improved on -if anyone can point me to a FATTER Scope Synth / Preset. I used Solaris Core's own Flanger and delay, then some reverb added during mastering in Harrison.

Ideally a Modular patch with easily adjusted Portamento and filter sweep for the last long sustained note.

MIDI File :
Alaska.zip
Midi File For Alaska
(866 Bytes) Downloaded 125 times
fra77x2

Re: Can someone help me fatten up Alaska ?

Post by fra77x2 »

Have you tried putting different recorded synths in parallel and mix them until you get something that satisfies you?
dante

Post by dante »

Yeah but phase starts to cut the fatness. Maybe I'm not doing it right but I substituted Solaris Core with Scope Profit 5 and got a better result (updated the SoundCloud above). In Harrison then applied MXR Flange, bit more stereo widening and rev.

Better control over FX phase at mixdown rather than using the synths inbuilt FX. Having said that I really like the inbuilt Flanger in proWave set at about 90 degrees - it adds great stereo.

The filter sweep (freq/res) in Profit 5 I couldn't get the desired result so in the fadeout octave drone I just let the LFO's do their stuff in modulating the timbre.

A modular patch that does all this Id really like so when I get time Ill have a crack at that using some preset as a starting point if I can find one. Probably a good Brass patch will do.

I also really like this Prophet Rev2 rendition :

https://youtu.be/byhGBkXtcDw

Looks like a wow machine
Prophet Rev2
Prophet Rev2
Prophet Rev2.jpg (162.34 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
spacef

Post by spacef »

have you tried a simple scope pitch shifter at -12 semi tones on each side ? may be with a lowpass filter pre-pitchshifter, to pitch only the bass part of the spectrum.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dante

Post by dante »

Nope but gave me a great idea to try a variation of that technique. I've duplicated the Profit MIDI track and instance, then in the second MIDI track striped everything out except the root note. Transposed that down an octave, rendered that into a second Profit track into Mixbus32C, then played with widening / flange etc (but independently of FX being applied to the original full triad track). Result below.

@SpaceF, thanks for the idea ! You could make a plug-in version and call it ‘Fundamentalizer’.

yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Dante; I know that which you seek my friend……the Holy Fatness of synthesizers!
Firstly, as a 3yr proud owner of a Rev2, I can honestly tell you that synth will not fulfill your needs. That synth excels at super excellent strings and pads that modulate and evolve like a mf and will fill your wall of sound very nicely. Don’t get me wrong, it is a great synth and I love it but
spend a little more on an Ob-6 desktop or Profit-6desktop and you will be closer.
The only other option would be if you are willing to spend $4-5k or greater on some other very fat synths either vintage or new.
Oberheim set the bar very high back in the early 80’s and once you hear that sound you will never be satisfied until you achieve it in its entirety
Just my 2cents. I am saving $$$ for my next purchase of this goal and it will be a tough choice when the time comes.
To me combining VSTs, Scope DSP and Analog is the trifecta for synthesists.
Good luck.

Matt Johnson on the OB-6
https://youtu.be/O8RmuvebR0Y
dante

Post by dante »

Well I don't have a spare 5 large in my back pocket ATM. So I guess I'll play with Arturia SEMv, Little Labs Voice Of God and Synapse OBsession RE in meantime. You would think Scope could get close as I've heard some fat boy tones dripping out of Dawman's Solaris which use same DSP as Scope @96Khz.

Someone should start an online service called 'Super Synth Rent Render' where you pay to upload a MIDI and get sent back a 96Khz wav rendered on your choice of provider's boutique H/W synth collection.

So Yaya lemme know your rates when you get your OB-6 :D :wink:
borg

Post by borg »

dante wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:57 am Someone should start an online service called 'Super Synth Rent Render' where you pay to upload a MIDI and get sent back a 96Khz wav rendered on your choice of provider's boutique H/W synth collection.
look around for a bit, and you'll find a studio like this one: https://soundgas.com/studio/soundgas-studio-gear-list/
but really, is it worth it for a prog rock cover tune only some budding scopers will listen to? it'll probably cost you more than a tenner.

maybe your cash is better spent on a premium vst. you could give cherry audio 8 voice a try.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
dante

Post by dante »

Cherry have the new ARP Quadra which I was going to pick up anyway. You know of a better prog tune to demo synth fatness to budding Scopers ?
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

dante wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:57 am Well I don't have a spare 5 large in my back pocket ATM. So I guess I'll play with Arturia SEMv, Little Labs Voice Of God and Synapse OBsession RE in meantime. You would think Scope could get close as I've heard some fat boy tones dripping out of Dawman's Solaris which use same DSP as Scope @96Khz.

Someone should start an online service called 'Super Synth Rent Render' where you pay to upload a MIDI and get sent back a 96Khz wav rendered on your choice of provider's boutique H/W synth collection.

So Yaya lemme know your rates when you get your OB-6 :D :wink:
That is not a bad idea, I’ll bet you wouldn’t have to look very far to find someone to do that.
Mine is just a wish list right now. I figure I’ve got one big spend left on a synth and it’s going to be my holy grail.
Going to be a tough choice. Right now I absolutely have no room left so it’s going to have to wait for a while.
I bought the Cherry ARP Quadra but haven’t had time to try it out yet. The Merc4 was very impressive.
The whole Analog vs digital vs hardware vs virtual gets tedious.
Use whatever you can to make awesome music in your own way.
dante

Post by dante »

Have you considered Solaris ? Or you want something more classic / analogy ?
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Yes definitely Solaris is one on the list!
LOL! "Analogy"
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:12 pm Cherry have the new ARP Quadra which I was going to pick up anyway. You know of a better prog tune to demo synth fatness to budding Scopers ?
I bought Quadra and most of the other Cherry Audio plugins, except Mercury and the MS20 emulation which I both don´t need.
There´s a "Alaska" patch for "Memorymode",- but it sounds like what it is,- that patch on a MOOG.
Quadra is not able to do it at all.

The very best solution is Memorymoon ME80 ... http://www.memorymoon.com/me80.htm
It´s the closest Yammi CS80 emulation you can buy and worth every penny.
I already used version #1 when it was made w/ Synthedit.
Beginning w/ version 2 it´s re-coded in C++, 64Bit and latest update improved a lot again.
It comes w/ the "Alaska" patch, I loaded your MIDI file into Reaper,- and voilà !
40 bucks is a steal.
It sounds more close to a real CS80 than the Arturia version does and even there´s no poly AT.
You get a special version of AT instead.

The CS80 was a very special synth and it´s tone has nothing to do w/ all the other analog dinosaur synths,- Moog, ARP, Oberheim, Korg, Sequential Circuits.
It´s completely different architecture and technology inside.
None of the discrete or chip based OSCs, filters and ENVs existing in the other brand polysynths is identical w/ the Yamaha ones.
That rules also for the other software emulations.
Most CS80 plugin aficionados use both,- Arturia CS80V and Memorymoon ME80.

:)

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Aah ok I realise now I should have looked at Wiki when I googled - its got the info about CS80 which I never suspected it was. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.K._(album)

Ill try MemoryMoon ME80 ankyu. Yes a steal. I will try it also on 'In The Dead Of Night'. BTW can you figure out the time signature on that one ? It's a prick of a thing.... I'm having to simplify it to 4/4 :lol: .

About the Cherry Quadra I like for how it works in 4 sections and with the string synth. I would have loved that h/w in 80's for multitimbral sequencing on Yamaha CX5 !
Last edited by dante on Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:49 am ... 'In The Dead Of Night'. BTW can you figure out the time signature on that one ? It's a prick of a thing.... I'm having to simplify it to 4/4 :lol: .
Here´s a piano tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCoIfsI3Zl0

Begining at about 08 sec,:

It´s 7/4 ... then comes a part of (beginning 53sec. ´til 01:08)
7/4 & 4/4 (repeat 4x) ... then the arpeggio turnarounds beginning 01:09
4/4 (repeat 4x) ... followed by ... 01:15
4/2 (2x) - it´s 4/4 halftime,- then back to the 7/4 like from the begining.

That pretty much is it according to the parts ...
For the drum programming, you might be willing to invest 4 bucks (if the stuff is correct and precise)
https://drumscore.com/sheet-music/best- ... -music-tab

guitar solo transcription,- it´s all 7/4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrsRvHngwi8
dante wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:49 am About the Cherry Quadra I like for how it works in 4 sections and with the string synth.
The CA Quadra is good,- in fact it´s better than the original.
Nonetheless, I miss some features,- p.ex. mute buttons in the mixer section,- for easier programming and MIDI CC assignment as well.
When you have to re-set the faders always and once you turned ´em down, you don´t find their previous positions back quickly while programming.
And in a giggin´ situation it would be nice muting sections via MIDI.
I also wished it had 1 or 2 simpler but freerun LFOs under the hood for some independent usage of pulse width-, filter cutoff- and pitch modulation while the actually existing and more complex one is for the special purposes.
4 sound sections and just only 1 LFO is mediocre IMO.
I know, the original hardware was even more worst,- but in the past, MORE was harder to realize in hardware and way more expensive.
Today, in software, it´s a joke adding 2 more LFOs and have ´em in a submenue, not losing "vinage" GUI and sonic quality at all.

The lead synth section, even one OSC only, has grid and character,- the filter and ENV attack behaviour ...

The bass-guitar-fake section,- well,- it´s truly a usable sound,- but THAT sound ONLY,- w/ he exception adding "string bass".
I wished, it were a individual synth-bass section in addition and simlar to the lead synth section.

have nice holidays ...

merry x-mas Dante !
dante

Post by dante »

Merry XMas Bud ! May Santa and Noah both lower something great down your chimney stack. (Noah has disappointed in the past and should bring you a fully loaded and fully flashable version).

Santa bought me something that bought back great Memories whilst I was watching Moon last night.. I got the ME80. I like it - I installed the big version - fills the whole screen like the Quadra. Both very colorful and I like the 3d switch positions on the ME80. I'm using it on both Alaska and Dead Of Night. Thanks for the time signatures break down (much appreciated the effort) - that will be used version 2 coz I'm too impatient to hear the whole production even simplified to 4/4. :roll: :lol:

In Alaska I'm doing the -8ve pedal with the OB-SEM and on Dead of night doubling the ME80 with the Quadra.

Great new possibilities. 8)

Ankyu
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:17 am Merry XMas Bud ! May Santa and Noah both lower something great down your chimney stack. (Noah has disappointed in the past and should bring you a fully loaded and fully flashable version).
Thx,- no, Noah didn´t disappoint and most of the trouble was the result of lack of info/documentation.

For x-mas, well,- I hoped for Scope v 7.1 at least and I´m here all day and observe the announcements.
dante wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:17 am ... I got the ME80. I like it - I installed the big version - fills the whole screen
Congrats !
The "one man company" developer is a real musician,- keyboardplayer w/ lots of love for jazz,- and he started coding the virtual instruments just for himself.
These are for real players and come w/ lots of add. goodies under the "vintage GUI"-hood.
"Messiah" is killer, looks like a standard Prophet-5 at 1st glance, but can do WAY more because of all it´s additional features,- modifications of my old hardware Prophet-5 included.
And even I own C.A. Memorymode now, I can´t wait for Gunnar´s Memorymoon, which is in the works to become 64Bit and C++ too.
dante wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:17 am Thanks for the time signatures break down (much appreciated the effort) - that will be used version 2 coz I'm too impatient to hear the whole production even simplified to 4/4. :roll: :lol:
No biggie,- I hope it´s correct !

Bud