Scope 7 - STS?

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid EDGE
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: Brighton England
Contact:

Re: Scope 7 - STS?

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Thanks for sharing about the tx16wx looks cool. How does it sound. 😊

And oh yeah, reasons NNXT.. for some reason I don’t like it so much. 🤷‍♂️ Might be the sound of it.
Liquid EDGE
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: Brighton England
Contact:

Re: Scope 7 - STS?

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Bud Weiser wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:22 am
Liquid EDGE wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:52 am Might have to go back to Scope 5.1 if I really really want use of the STS samplers on XP.. the only thing I have that does on the fly sampling is maschine on the xp set up.
That´s why I look for an affordable Pulsar-2 w/ SCOPE v4.5 keys, all samplers and VDAT included.
I have another Pulsar-2 left over,- just only w/ basic v4.5 keys,- means STS2000P only and no VDAT.
I´d like to use one of my old WinXP rackmount builds w/ these 2 cards then,- just only for sampling and VDAT recording.
Liquid EDGE wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:52 am Win10 Cubase11 has a sampler track..which gives a very close oldskool sampling approach.
Reason has too,- there are many options anyway when thinking "(home-) recording and DAW only".
Cwitec TX16Wx is also a real sampler ... http://www.tx16wx.com/

I also like it because it loads (Apple) EXS24 library by drag ´n drop,- so I can use it on PC.

But because I use SCOPE on dedicated machines, I don´t want to work w/ native VST and DAW apps in addition all day.

And my laptop isn´t the most powerfull even it´s Intel i7 4th gen w/ 6MB L3 cache and SSDs.
I bought it for SCOPE/XITE and because it offered the PCIexpresscard 34 slot, but 2.5GHz stock speed is minimum for many good VSTis.

So, when STS samplers and VDAT worked flawlessly on XITE in future,- I had all mobile and much more compact than a 4HU rackmount.
In fact, that was the idea when I bought XITE-1,- replacing hardware gear by DSP stuff,- not drifting into VST world more ´n more.
I own 4 AKAI samplers and 1 EMU and I´d like to replace the AKAIs w/ STS, then sell the hardware.
I´ll keep EMU because of Z-Plane filters for the time being,- but can imagine selling it too in future.

And,- a handfull of good VSTs only is still enough in addition w/ SCOPE/XITE.

:)

Bud
It goes to show how good STS sounds that we put so much effort in to trying to stick with it… I’ve given up on it, and just keep my fingers crossed that an STS come back to life.
User avatar
Bud Weiser
Posts: 2305
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:29 am
Location: nowhere land

Re: Scope 7 - STS?

Post by Bud Weiser »

Liquid EDGE wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:47 am
It goes to show how good STS sounds that we put so much effort in to trying to stick with it.
It´s the closest sampler device to any AKAI series sampler, beginning S-1000 and ending S-5000/6000.
Akai format was the largest library base in the 80s, 90s,- and exists up to day.
Lots of good sounding and small footprint content, ready to load.

Old samples never disappeared,- you find ´em in all the Yamaha, Roland, Korg ROMpler workstations up today and Spectrasonics lives from Roland sample base designed by Eric Persing in the 80s.
They all just only add some new content by the time.

My Akai and E-Mu (and EII / DPX-1) sample library is big and isn´t replaced by any other commercial library format up to now.

For me, SCOPE is not complete anymore when it lacks sampling, sample playback and recording (VDAT).

:)

Bud
Liquid EDGE
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: Brighton England
Contact:

Re: Scope 7 - STS?

Post by Liquid EDGE »

I’m not entirely sure how you work with scope. But I have scope and my daw on the same computer. The daw replaces all those things you say. So no real problem untill they get fixed, as an alternative is just sitting side by side with scope.
nebelfuerst
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:55 am

Re: Scope 7 - STS?

Post by nebelfuerst »

My view is similar to Bud Weiser's, but for different reasons.
I changed my DAW several time, due to problems. This always causes a reset on all achievements within a DAW.
( Cubase 9 stopped working on Win10, SamX doesn't follow Midiclock, ableton is quite perfect on keeping sync, but it has a strange gui..)

Inside Scope, the environment is stable over time. I can load projects, which I made on Win98 20 years ago.
It is just like a real instrument, that keeps on working, no matter what year is on the clock.
For this reason, I like to have a STS back in scope.
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
User avatar
Bud Weiser
Posts: 2305
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:29 am
Location: nowhere land

Re: Scope 7 - STS?

Post by Bud Weiser »

Liquid EDGE wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:01 am I’m not entirely sure how you work with scope. But I have scope and my daw on the same computer. The daw replaces all those things you say. So no real problem untill they get fixed, as an alternative is just sitting side by side with scope.
Both,- SCOPE and DAW on same computer but also SCOPE/XITE w/ laptop standalone and for the time being, also a 32Bit Scope system standalone.
But all that is some effort maintaining all the systems and I´d wish everything included in actual SCOPE worked on only one machine, 64Bit and together w/ native VST apps.

When playing just only keys, I prefer SCOPE standalone because there´s no latency and devices talk MIDI PrgChanges.
Scope synths and samplers are good (enough) in addition to hardware keys while native VST introduces the "roundtip" ASIO latency and f##kin´Windows USB-MIDI jitter.
Especially VST3 devices most often don´t respond to MIDI PrgChanges anymore and if they do, you have to deal w/ workarounds like "MIDI banks",- something you have to plan and organize before you can select patches via MIDI at all.
The more different things are combined, the more incompatibility problems come up !

When I play a hardware keyboard/workstation and trigger VST via MIDI, there´s always a "flam" like delay between the hardware keyboard´s sound and the VST generated one.
P. ex. layer a Kurzweil PC3 VA sound w/ Scope/XITE Profit-5 or such,- both is tight, fat and "in your face".
Playing keys for me is more important than recording and mixing.
I made my money as a player, not sound engineer and I play keys at home a lot.

And if it´s allowed to dream,-
I´d wish it worked on Linux and/or Mac Silicone M1X in future to get rid of Microsoft sooner or later.
A portable and powerful new Mac Mini together w/ XITE-1 in a small rack would be ideal for everything,- studio, gigs, jams,- Apple Logic and Mainstage included.

:)

Bud
User avatar
Spielraum
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:11 pm
Location: Raumschiff Erde

Re: Scope 7 - STS?

Post by Spielraum »

nebelfuerst wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:28 am Inside Scope, the environment is stable over time. I can load projects, which I made on Win98 20 years ago.
It is just like a real instrument, that keeps on working, no matter what year is on the clock. ...
+1
... and for me a solid reason to stay with the "real instrument firmware" winXP.
in addition, volkzampler works fantastically well as a native sts2vst mirror!
only a shame that the VST ProgramPool cannot be managed as a preset >>
STS X000 (dsp) < .p/.sts > volkzampler (native)

additionally
>i would like to have preset management for the STS5000 Multi +program edits, without having to resave the slot programs.
in multi preset currently only references will loaded...
>the star icon is also missing in the name when a program has been edited
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube
Liquid EDGE
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: Brighton England
Contact:

Re: Scope 7 - STS?

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Fixed my problem on my xp set up!

Went on to the registry editor and deleted kgpar2 kgpar3 & TStretch from the list…. Finding this nugget info from Julian gave me the clue!

…………………………

this is some weird problem with windows "blacklisting" drivers for some reason :-/

try the following

Important! Window 7 sometimes stops the loading of drivers,
allthough you have updatet them. in those cases you need to
delete their entry in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

This can happen to files of the Sys folder e.g. "MidiAck.sys".


Search there for Scope and look for the ...*.sys files, which have the Scope installation path.
Delete all entries and overinstall again.

if this doesn't help you can have a look in your ./app/sys folder

there should be a file
MVC2VxD.sys

just try to rename it.
then it should probably work.

julian

………………


Still need to use the files from 5.1..
User avatar
Spielraum
Posts: 635
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:11 pm
Location: Raumschiff Erde

Re: Scope 7 - STS?

Post by Spielraum »

thx for this info!
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube
Liquid EDGE
Posts: 1153
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: Brighton England
Contact:

Re: Scope 7 - STS?

Post by Liquid EDGE »

No worries. 👍
Post Reply