Samplitude slow with 32 Float Record Mode

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marvin

Samplitude slow with 32 Float Record Mode

Post by Marvin »

Hi Folks,
when I choose "32 Bit (Float)" as Record Mode in the Record Options any start of Samplitude ProX 6 is extremely slow, about 2 Minutes or so. Moreover calling the System Options via Hotkey "Y" is also very slow, about 20 seconds before showing up at all. The same is with switching the topic in the System Options.

Magix could not reproduce the problem, also there are no such postings in the Samplitude forum. So best guess so far this behaviour is because of the Scope drivers.

System: Xite-1, Scope 7, 10920X on X299 board, latest Win10.

I have tried different ASIO drivers in Scope, INT and FLT, problem still there. BTW: The same is with Samplitude ProX 5.

To ged rid of the slowness I had to delete the Sam_64.ini file (file was newly created then), and stay with 24 Bit then. In 24 Bit all is snappy.

I am aware of the pros and cons regarding the discussion about 24 Bit and 32 FLT. I would just like to ask you guys out there using Samplitude which ASIO driver you use and if you maybe have the same trouble with 32 FLT. Any ideas welcome.

Thanks a lot! :)
nebelfuerst

Re: Samplitude slow with 32 Float Record Mode

Post by nebelfuerst »

I own SamX3 and tried SamX4. It worked not well with scope. I never managed to get SamX3 to follow a midi clock while stretching audio. On midi overload, SamX3 crashed. I wrote several tickets and wrote text into their crash reports, but it wasn't fixed. The next version came out, so I was offered to pay more money for nothing.
If it didn't crash, it sometimes locked at high cpu load, so "y" tool some time.
In the samplitude forum, many people just use "asio4all". Adat-slave is an unknown mode for most people there.

So i switched to ableton live and bitwig, which work flawless.

Did you try other DAW with 32Bit Float ?

Did you change the monitoring-mode ?
\\\ *** l 0 v e | X I T E *** ///
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Thanks for your reply. I know about the difficulties with SamX3 and X4, there were a lot of postings in the Sam forum :wink:
However, obviously there has happened a lot under the hood meanwhile, even with the latest Update of X6 which addresses quit a lot of even older bugs. I switched to Sam with version X5 and updated to X6, have had not a single crash and I am very happy about this DAW for several reasons (individual view). There where no CPU peaks, all performs very well. Only starting Sam hurts, as well as digging into System Options, when switched to 32 FLT.

New insights: I have just tried another audio interface, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen., and this shows exactly the same behaviour! With the Focusrite ASIO driver and 32 FLT, Sam needs more than 2 minutes to start, and calling system options needs ages before the window shows up. Also when I switch back to 24 bit it remains slow, so there is something happening with the Sam_x64.ini file.

All is back to normal when this .ini file is deleted and therefor created new from scratch on starting Sam again.

The support from Magix is quite fast, I have got an individual answer same day. I have sent them now two .ini files, the slow one and a newly created. Hopefully they could find something, otherwise I would also be happy with 24 Bit recording for a while I guess :D

To answer your questions:
I have used Cubase a long time before (starting with VST 3.7), IIRC there where no such issues in the last versions. However there were quite some in the past...

I didn't change anything in monitoring mode.

Any further ideas?
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

Deleting the .ini file was the most common answer I received for my tickets. In my case it never helped.
If the .ini file is ASCII, you could run a diff.
As it also happens on an other interface, this might be a sampltude problem.

In my case, Sam showed strange behaviour after some stress on midi input. Even normal recording showed wrong position pointers and recordings were visible, but automatically deleted after stop. I even made videos to show these effects, but no fix occured. I missed any strategy of magix to track down such a problem. Maybe I'll give X6 a try on Xmas.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Update: Have sent two .ini files to Magix, one created from scratch (fast) and the other "slow" one, created after switching to 32 FLT. The support (very responsive btw) could not reproduce the long time starting and laggy System Options with these files. As the slow behaviour is also with a Focusrite interface I guess it must be something with my PC. However, this one is quite a new one with fresh Win install, all updated. And of course with all the documented tweaks regarding Scope (BIOS, power, priority). All is running smooth as hell, only the two slowmos are there with 32 FLT.

Any ideas?

Magix support will show the two .ini files to the developer team tomorrow, hopefully they could find something useful. Meanwhile I will try 32 FLT with Cubase (9.5). But I guess this won't show anything. Samplitude is running very well even with 32 FLT, it is just very slow in the two aspects I described.

I will keep you informed.
nebelfuerst

Post by nebelfuerst »

I installed Win10, Win7-64 and Win7-32 for my tests with SAM. I changed the Midi-interface. I did this with the hope, that after the stupid "standard measures", a real developer will contact me. It never happened.
I stay tuned to get your experiences and maybe a solution in your case.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Seems to be a Sam Pro X3 thing in your case, not related to Win. What is exactly the odd behaviour in your case? Maybe I could try a test with a similar setup and Pro X6 here.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

So Sam support solved my case :) I had to load Sam Pro X4 settings (.inz file), and all is fast now.

However, I was unfortunately able to reproduce your Midi sync bug with X6, have seen your videos in Sam forum. Exactly the same here, of course this has still to be fixed. So far, when you still need to sync Sam with external Midi clock, i would say don't upgrade to X6 so far. Will open a new ticket at Magix for this bug.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Update: I have new feedback from Magix support, they could indeed reproduce this Midi sync bug regarding Samplitude as MC-slave. I guess your videos from the Sam forum some time ago helped them for understanding the problem, too (sent them the link to that thread there).
The developer-team has got now a dedicated ticket number for this bug, so hopefully we will see a solution soon. :)
valis

Post by valis »

Good followup.