windows appearing and disappearing

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Joey

windows appearing and disappearing

Post by Joey »

I have a nice template set up, and I saved it as my default.
But for some reason, some synths disappear from view after the template is loaded.
Now this may not be the worlds biggest problem, but I am quite curious about how this can happen.
valis

Re: windows appearing and disappearing

Post by valis »

There’s a small button that keeps a device “on top” which can be confusing if you’re in the mixed desktop mode for scope (devices will then “fall behind” the scope routing window.)
Joey

Post by Joey »

Well, it's really disappearing, in the same way that a device disappears when you click on it in the list window. So it's not behind anything, it's just not shown.
Could it have to do with the fact that I control scope from another computer via remote desktop?
valis

Post by valis »

Yes it could, especially if the two machines are using different eras of windows or say low end/onboard video on the Scope machine.
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

I don't think the remote desktop is related. Perhaps some devices do not save correctly the open panel functionality but the close panel works right. if you press the screenshots shortcuts with the mouse the behaviour is different?
valis

Post by valis »

Yes it can be related, I'm pretty sure you can find this in our forums via a search but it would be closer to the XP era. Related to the code-path that is used for doing offscreen/RDP compositing (and what is handled on the client etc), and iirc setting scope to the full interface mode might help.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Pressing the screenshots works as expected.
How would I set scope to the full interface mode?
valis

Post by valis »

My cards are not installed so I’ll let someone else respond with the correct term.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Which synths?
valis

Post by valis »

What’s the string that toggles the background behind the scope app? This might help, though I long ago simply opted for multiple monitors and other solutions.
Joey

Post by Joey »

So I have minimax v7, saturn and profit5 loaded and in view. Also stm32 mixer.
Modular 4 is loaded in the background, as are Masterverb Pro and Das Tape Echo.
When the three synths are loaded, there's a dialog window from modular asking about the preset list. When I close that window, minimax disappears.
I have taken pictures, but | hesitate to upload them because they are quite big.
valis

Post by valis »

JPEG format should make that a non-issue, and you can attach the images to your post. This is my server (hosts this site and many others), don’t worry about disk space.

It’s Remote Desktop I am sure, it handles compositing client side (rendering in the Remote Desktop window on the client) and that can certainly cause the behavior you’re describing.
Joey

Post by Joey »

Attachments
2021-11-01 16.20.48.jpg
2021-11-01 16.20.48.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 1190 times
2021-11-01 16.20.39.jpg
2021-11-01 16.20.39.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 1190 times
Joey

Post by Joey »

The second picture should be first, but you get the idea.
On loading all three synths show (second picture), then when I click OK in the dialog window, minimax disappears (first picture).
Of course, this is not the biggest problem in the world, but it makes me curious. Why does one synth disappear, and the others stay in sight?
valis

Post by valis »

It may be non-obvious if not looking at it with something that can watch calls and messaging in realtime. Perhaps the extra window is thrown into a different context due to some limit the modal dialog hits, or it has an older UI from the scope SDK or...

In any case, the way to check it is to simply try the same thing with a monitor rather than RDP. I can tell you I have done this before, and a search of the forum will reveal others with the exact same symptom also using Remote Desktop (RDP aka Remote Desktop Protocol). I can also tell you that interestingly, the MacOS client for RDP at the time (from Microsoft) didn't do this, but that's been updated a major version since and more importantly I've never tried this under Scope 7. At the time I was also using Remote Desktop from Win7 to an XP era machine, and was told that the host machine was too old, but I that's purely anecdotal and the response was from a MS forum employee so I don't regard it as much more than a reason given to close the thread/ticket.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I tried it on the machine (so no remote desktop) and the Minimax behaves the same.